Guest Karin78

Need citizenship asap - how long will the process take (in Darwin)?

Guest Karin78

Hi all

I have been living in Australia for over 5 years. After a long batte with migration I finally got my permanent visa in 2009. I would like to apply for Australian citizenship now, I see myself living here long term, however, I will move back to Switzerland for one year or longer, from 2012 onwards. Family issues affected this decision.

I just moved up to Darwin, I used to live in Sydney. I have ordered my book now for the test. How long will it take from lodging the application to becoming a citizen and getting a passport? The faster the better as I would like to move back in January.... Is that possible? I heard the process can take longer than 6 months?

My permanent visa will run out in 2014. What if I just move back and come back before it runs out, without becoming a citizen? Are there any risks?

Thank you for your help, much appreicated :-)

And yes, I am not from England, but I love this forum :biggrin:

Cheers,

Karin

You can leave Australia for as long as you want provided you have a valid visa to enter Australia with (either your existing PR or a resident return visa). That said on the face of what you've said you've already met the residency requirement (4 years including 1 year as a Permanent Resident) so should be able to get citizenship whether you stay in Australia or not.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Guest losinghope

Hi Karin78,

I was eligible in Feb 2011 and I applied immediately after I fulfilled my citizenship criteria i.e. Student Visa, Bridging Visa's & 1 Year Permanent Resident.

I applied on 4th Feb and had a Test & Interview on 9th, got approval letter on 16th Feb. Ceremony invitation came on 3rd May and Ceremony held on 30th May. Passport took 10 working days from lodging application to delivery. So overall it took 4 1/2 months to get passport.

FYI...Darwin City Council next Citizenship ceremonies will be on end of July & August. There is one in November this year too. Check this link http://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/media-centre/events/2011-07?tid[0]=28 But if you live in Palmerston, then you better check their website.

I think you have enough time to become a citizen. But truly it all depends on your application. Best of luck. Hope it helps.

Thanks

Ali

Hi all

I have been living in Australia for over 5 years. After a long batte with migration I finally got my permanent visa in 2009. I would like to apply for Australian citizenship now, I see myself living here long term, however, I will move back to Switzerland for one year or longer, from 2012 onwards. Family issues affected this decision.

I just moved up to Darwin, I used to live in Sydney. I have ordered my book now for the test. How long will it take from lodging the application to becoming a citizen and getting a passport? The faster the better as I would like to move back in January.... Is that possible? I heard the process can take longer than 6 months?

My permanent visa will run out in 2014. What if I just move back and come back before it runs out, without becoming a citizen? Are there any risks?

Thank you for your help, much appreicated :-)

And yes, I am not from England, but I love this forum :biggrin:

Cheers,

Karin

losinghope has given you an excellent answer regarding the timing of getting citizenship and a passport but I thought I'd answer your other question about whether you could move without first getting citizenship.

As long as you get back before your current visa expires in 2014, you would have no trouble being able to reenter Australia as a PR.

If you want to give yourself some more leeway, you will be eligible for a 5 year Resident Return visa after being here as a PR for 2 years and that would effectively reset the PR clock for another 5 years. You could get one just before you leave in 2012 (they're granted very quickly - even over the counter if you go to an immigration office) or in fact, at any time before your current visa expires and that would allow you to stay away for another 5 years if that should become necessary.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/ Resident Return visa

Guest Karin78

Thank you for your help, much appreciated :smile:

I might apply for citizenship, I think I should have enough time.

Have a great week!

Guest trastik9

could you tell me how you got the visa to live there? because I imagine you live and work, did someone sponsor you?? I'd like to live in Australia, but I'm from Russia, and if I get a visa it's just for living, not working, and I need to work... help please!!

:cute:

could you tell me how you got the visa to live there? because I imagine you live and work, did someone sponsor you?? I'd like to live in Australia, but I'm from Russia, and if I get a visa it's just for living, not working, and I need to work... help please!!

There is no visa just for living what visa are you talking about? There are tourist visas for visiting, education visas for studying and resident/work visa's for working. If you need details of available visa's go to http://www.immi.gov.au

Guest losinghope

Hi Karin78,

How did you go with your citizenship App?

Guest siamsusie

Hi Trastik,

Welcome to Poms In Oz.

If you could tell us which visa you would like to apply for using your existing recognised skills, then someone can point you in the right direction.

What profession/trade have you please?

Susie x