deb8181

High dollar pushes relative cost of living in Australian cities up world rankings

Just seen this on the news today and i can well believe it! You might get paid more wages but its all relative with the cost of living. I was quite well off in the UK but I feel like I have had to start again financially, not being able to afford things like i used to and having to buy things on interest free credit, even then you are charged extra things on your statement which add up which you didnt get in the UK!! :confused:

THE rise in the Australian dollar means we now have four of the 15 most expensive cities in the world to live in, according to a survey released today by the UK-based Economist Intelligence Unit.

Sydney has moved up from 32nd place two years ago to sixth now and Melbourne is up from 38th to seventh, with a cost of living more than 40 per cent higher than New York, The Australian reports.

Perth and Brisbane, which are almost 25 per cent more expensive than New York, are ranked 13th and 14th.

All four cities are now costlier than major cities including London, Vienna, Rome, Berlin, Hong Kong and Beijing, according to the survey, which compares the cost of living using more than 400 individual prices in 133 cities around the world.

Tokyo, Oslo and Osaka take the top three places overall while Mumbai, Tunis and Karachi are the three cheapest.

The Australian cities' rankings have climbed sharply in the unit's surveys in recent years.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/australian-dollar/high-dollar-pushes-relative-cost-of-living-in-australian-cities-up-world-rankings/story-fn6t6wad-1226089881392#ixzz1RPGnMfLP

We arrived in Perth February 2010 & loving it!! :wink:

Guest DaneD

i found this too -

How the Most Expensive City in the World is Established

In order to calculate the world’s most expensive city, the Economist Intelligence Unit's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey compares over 400 individual prices across 160 products and services in 140 cities in 93 countries. The products and services included in the study include:

• Food items
  • Toiletries
  • Clothing
  • Domestic Help
  • Transport
  • Utility Bills

The survey uses the prices at the point of sale, not the recommended retail price nor the manufacturers’ cost price.

And also -

Four Australian cities – Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide – are now also ranked in the World's Most Livable Cities top 10.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-worlds-most-livable-cities-2011-top-10-announced-a350592