How Do You Choose a Doctors Surgery?

Harpersgirl

Have a couple of poorly kids. Nothing dire but its made me think :err:

I did take one of my older ones to a close by doctors for a required medicheck for employment purposes and it was ok but am wondering how anyone else identified which surgery they wanted to register with?

I've tried looking for some kind of directory but am not getting very far so any suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated...:wubclub:

Maybe ask around other parents and see which local surgery gets the best review.

... then you'll need to choose between one that does bulk billing or not.

Some big, bulk-billing medical centres are OK but unless you're prepared to wait for a specific Dr it will be pot luck as to who you see. Also, they don't often do appointments so be prepared for a long wait on certain days.

Smaller surgeries will offer better continuity of treatment as you will probably see the same Dr on each visit but don't usually bulk bill and for non-emergencies you may need to wait a day or two to get in.

We just picked the closest one and luckily we hardly ever went there unless it was to be patched up for sports injuries!

I agree, ask around. Nothing beats the back fence opinion and you will get some good reports. You may find, however that the best regarded practices have closed their books to new patients - that's what comes with being well regarded!

Personally I cant see the big rush to get to a bulk billing doctor - the spin off is that you often lose continuity of care and that can be crucial in some circumstances. I think a doctor is like a good hairdresser - once you get a good one, you stick to them like glue.

You can always have a look on here http://www.ratemds.com/search.jsp?country=3 - put in your local area and see what pops up!

Have a couple of poorly kids. Nothing dire but its made me think :err:

I did take one of my older ones to a close by doctors for a required medicheck for employment purposes and it was ok but am wondering how anyone else identified which surgery they wanted to register with?

I've tried looking for some kind of directory but am not getting very far so any suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated...:wubclub:

I suppose it depends on where you live or work in Perth. I worked at Bibra Lake and was recommended (by an Ozzie) to a Dr Daryl Lacey at Cockburn Medical Centre. I went to him a couple of times and found him to be really good (from an English background), however, i got made redundant and this surgery was around 40 minutes away from where i lived. Needless to say i have had to change now as i live in Secret Harbour and work in Mandurah so it would have been quite a jaunt. I now go to the nearest which is Secret Harbour medical centre and they are not bad to be honest. Luckily i havent had to spend too much time there as i dont need to go very often. My son had his ears syringed there by the nurse and she was good with him. There is a dentist just a few yards away from this doctors as well which is useful. :wink:

Ahhhhh now you've mentioned the H word...that's a whole new thread :wink:

I can recommend a very good English hairdressing who works from home in Tapping. I have been with him for 5 years now and recommended many people who are now regulars.

http://www.contemporaryhairdressing.com.au/index.html

As for doctors, ask other Mums at school. I go to Beaumaris Family Practice in Ocean Reef and have done for 6 years. I can always get in to see a Doctor and when I had an emergency last week they saw me without an appointment within 20 minutes.