to sell or rent ??????

the dougans

hi we are seriously considering going back to oz we came back to uk in feb after nearly 8 months there but are so missing the lifestyle we had etc we have bought a house in uk wish i love so dont no what to do whether to sell or rent it will the housing market pick up again and maybe we could make money on it or are we better selling and maybe loosing few grand from feb ?? so mixed up help lol

Current forecasts are that the housing market will be quite stagnant for a while and then slowly pick up in 3-4 years. But I'm not sure how forecasters can look that far ahead given the current economic uncertainty.

We have considered both options and for me I see our house as an investment. We think the rent would almost cover the mortgage but we would be in a position in Australia to be able to afford any shortfall, which is an important consideration.

Also consider how much cash you would need to move back. Is all your money tied up in the house? Can you afford the visas, flights, shipping, and start up costs without selling the house?

There is no point owning a house that you love if you are not living in it. Renting your house out needs to be a purely business decision if you never intend to live in it again. If you love it that much, its possibly better to sell as then you'd have a clean break with nothing to pull you back to the UK in the future (if you want to move permanently this time).

hi thanks for that we still have visa and will get discounted flights fro a friend who works for etihad was just thinking putting the shipping costs on a visa and pay monthly from oz ?? dont know what to do at all it was mainky just to see if we can make money on it eventually as last house we lost few when we went to oz and also to stop us blowing rest of equty which dont have much left of but in saying that would need rental bond etc to . we would buy car with the money we sell ours in uk. so what do you think you will do ? good luck !

Hi the Dougans, we too are thinking exactly the same !! We came back in Jan after 7months (homesick) then once back are now thinking why an earth did we leave !!! So we reckon we would rent our house to be honest and then we are assured of money in the background .....where you hoping to head back too ?

We will be renting ours out for sure, as we don't need any of the cash for our move (sponsored relocation). We have two cars to sell here too which will go towards a car down there.

If we had more time to spruce up the house more I would also consider renting it as a holiday let, as we are in mid Cornwall only 3 miles from the beach, with a very nice garden and outside entertainment area. But we don't have time to do that right now (I think it would earn more money than straight renting in the long run). But in a few years we could both take some time off, come back and do some work on the house and rent it for holiday use.

Eventually we would like to save and pay off the mortgage here, then this house would be a very long term investment.

Guest charter

You really have to ask yourself why you made the move in the first place. If the reason is still valid then come back. I would recommend anyone else contemplating going back due to homesickness to go on holiday first, get it out of your system then ask yourself again. I was going to go back and manage my brothers Pub in Wales but after we sold our house in NZ, he went and sold the pub so we came to Brisbane instead. Never looked back. ( and I have started talking to my brother again, but it took a while.lol.)

Its very hard been away from family, I have a daughter who has been in Queensland [ boyne ] for 5 months and she founf it very hard but is better since she had all her household things that where shipped out - the children love it 6 & 9 years old - hubby loves his job not to keen on area nothing much there and 5 hours away from Brisbane - but says that they will stay there because she could not put the children or her self through the upset of all the good byes and we where all upset it was so hard because we love them very much - but they wanted to go [ hubby got a job there] we skype a lot and text every day which is brill - will go over next year to stay and will always be behind them with support this end.

I did like Coomera and i believe more has been built but would prefer further down the coast , also i think its great your support for your daughter lemontree, my Mum was far from supportive and didnt understand why we left in the first place ! I reckon we may go on hol first and think long and hard about reasons ,,,,

I did like Coomera and i believe more has been built but would prefer further down the coast , also i think its great your support for your daughter lemontree, my Mum was far from supportive and didnt understand why we left in the first place ! I reckon we may go on hol first and think long and hard about reasons ,,,,

I think thats what you should do - cant understand mums who dont give support I didnt want my daughter to go but never told her that, just told her I would miss her and if its what she wanted to do - that I was behind her - maybe you should have given it longer the first time, but its easy for me to say that not for you when you were so homesick, good luck in what ever you deside to do and let us know how you are getting on, take care.

Thanks Lemontree, :biggrin: ill let you know what we chose to do as a family , as you say unless you are in that moment it is so difficult to understand a persons mind ! It does play tricks on you....:err:. However whatever we chose i shall remain much more positive in our choice ! Ill let you know x