register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest texasaggie

Where should we take our college aged daughter

Guest texasaggie

We are moving to Perth in October. Our daughter is in her second year in college and will be visiting us from around December 16 through January 10. We want to take her to see and do as much as we can while she is on her visit because she may not get another chance to visit us during our short 2-3 year stay in Perth.

What is the best way to see as much of Australia as we can on a budget during that time of year and where should we go? Her only request is that she wants to see the Great Barrier Reef (and meet guys that have an Australian accent...LOL). After that, we are open to just about anything.

What airlines fly between cities within Australia? Which is the cheapest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well of course she should come and spend at least a day in the National Capital (Canberra, in case you had forgotten!) - there is a load of touristy stuff to see and you can do it in a long day/couple of days.

Sydney - an outstanding thing to do is to shout her a bridge walk - that is a pretty iconic thing to do and something that you cannot do elsewhere so even though it is expensive it is a once in a lifetime experience.

Another way to get around is by coach - takes longer but you see so much more of the country and can get a real feel for the enormity of it. You can also kip on a coach so save the cost of an overnight accommodation.

i would think going to the barrier reef you would go out of cairns [ which is what i did ] most flights seem to fly into sydney then you connect from there to cairns , so you could do a quick trip into sydney go bondi [ lots of aussie accents and blokes with 6 packs lol , go to manly beach catch the ferry over to circular quay and see the harbour bridge and opera house , they have good things on in sydney at the new year maybe you could combine it so your in sydney at new year ?

i stayed at palm cove in cairns and took a cruise for a few days goi ng to different islands loved lizard island !!! [ there was talk of the royals honey mooning there ] she can see the islands and the barrier reef at the same time .

you could also go to the daintree forrest while your at cairns .

Just a thought, but if you're in Perth, have you considered a trip up the West coast? The coral reef on the West Coast is just as spectacular, and is right on the coast (you can snorkel straight off the beaches, so no expensive boat trips every day). Then there's the dolphins at monkeymia and various other beautiful areas to see en route. We did a nine day return car trip in a rental 4WD from Perth up to Coral Bay, camped the whole way, really didn't work out very expensive at all, so we could afford to do a couple of luxuries (whale watching/snorkelling trip, and scenic flight over shark bay). The West Coast is much less touristy and very much unspoilt in comparison to the East.

Re Sydney Harbour bridge, apparently you can go up on the of the towers for a tenth of the cost of actually doing the whole orange suit climb.

Tiger's often the cheapest airline, but they're not particularly good at timekeeping and they've been ground this week for systemic safety issues...

Sydney or Gold Coast could be awesome for New Year, fireworks and lots of aussie boys...

That big rock in the middle of the country is also pretty impressive.

Lots of possibilities, I guess it's really going to be limited by finances and time. I would say, she'll probably enjoy wherever you go, so go places you haven't been to yet, no point in re-doing things you've already seen.

What a great time of year to come for a visit. If she is sporty I would try and get her a couple of surfing lessons somewhere, maybe bondi if you make it over there.

You could fly to Brisbane and drive to surfers and up the Sunshine Coast with a trip to the great barrier reef at the end of it.

If you have time I would recommend a trip down the South West of WA. Don't forget the beauty on your doorstep. Yallingup and Margaret River can be amazing sites and not too touristy. Visit the wineries in the swan valley, go on one of the river cruise and winery tours out of Perth. Everyone that came to stay with us went and said what good value and good time they had. Me and the wife didn't get round to doing it ourselves until a couple of years ago.

Strange when you live here you don't do the touristy things.

if you have time tasmania is beautifull, cradle mountain is lovely