So much stress

Guest justwannasay

Guest justwannasay

Hi

I am just posting to tell my story.......I moved to Perth with my Aussie hubby nearly 7 years ago, i didn't really want to move, we had a great life here in the UK, family, friends, social life. I had a good job but he found it hard to get a good job in his field so we moved to Aus.....We had three boys, hubby got a good job (eventually) although had to live in rural WA...moved house so many times, just did not settle. I wanted to come home nearly all the time, had no help or support from his family when we had our children, in fact they have been pretty awful to us. We have agonised and agonised over the decision to head for Blighty...years and years...GFC, no jobs, better life for the kids in Aus, weather, bigger houses, its better, its better...

I was so scared to move i talked us out of it so many times.."lets stay, it will be ok, i can live here and make it work" i would say.

Then......after nearly seven years a plan.....lets go to the UK on an extended holiday (8 weeks in the end). See if we like it and can get work/good schools/nice area to live/nice house. My husband said no way will we do it......................

We did and have....in 6 weeks he had some fantastic job offers, we got our son into a fantastic school and he loves it...the weather has been just fine, we have found a nice house to live in, we have been busy with family and friends every weekend and its great.

Don't get me wrong, i still look at some aspects of the UK and wonder about where it is going, but to be home with family and have a great job for hubbie is worth giving it a go here for!

So, i have lost endless nights of sleep worrying about the decision, i have worried about everything..but do you know what...the Uk isn't really that bed (for us anyway).

I have missed my family so much, have been ill with depression because i was away from the people i love and the place i wanted to be. I read post after post on here about how awful home was, how it had gone down the pan, the weather was awful and the place was full of losers/drug addicts and asylum seekers...well it isn't and i really want to say....from my heart...if you want to come home, find a way to try to make it work....don't stay in a place where you are not really deeply happy, you may pay with your sanity in the end..i did and i know it has taken its toll.

last Christmas it was 46 degrees on Christmas day where we lived, it was disgusting, we had a lovely day all the same, but this year i can't wait to buy a real christmas tree, show my boys the lights/smells and real feeling of this magical time (especially as a child) and just soak it up.

Sorry for going on, just can't believe how hard it was to try to come home, how scared i was of the unknown...should have trusted my gut all those years ago...still..home now and all is good.

Take care to all of those who are agonising, trust your deep deep gut and dig deep inside and the answer is there.

xx

Hi and welcome home!

Wow you had a very eventful 6 weeks, and achieved so much, So good to hear you have settled so quickly, and your right, it's not all doom and gloom.

Im sure your kids will love Christmas this year!

All the very best x

Guest Andy
Hi

I am just posting to tell my story.......I moved to Perth with my Aussie hubby nearly 7 years ago, i didn't really want to move, we had a great life here in the UK, family, friends, social life. I had a good job but he found it hard to get a good job in his field so we moved to Aus.....We had three boys, hubby got a good job (eventually) although had to live in rural WA...moved house so many times, just did not settle. I wanted to come home nearly all the time, had no help or support from his family when we had our children, in fact they have been pretty awful to us. We have agonised and agonised over the decision to head for Blighty...years and years...GFC, no jobs, better life for the kids in Aus, weather, bigger houses, its better, its better...

I was so scared to move i talked us out of it so many times.."lets stay, it will be ok, i can live here and make it work" i would say.

Then......after nearly seven years a plan.....lets go to the UK on an extended holiday (8 weeks in the end). See if we like it and can get work/good schools/nice area to live/nice house. My husband said no way will we do it......................

We did and have....in 6 weeks he had some fantastic job offers, we got our son into a fantastic school and he loves it...the weather has been just fine, we have found a nice house to live in, we have been busy with family and friends every weekend and its great.

Don't get me wrong, i still look at some aspects of the UK and wonder about where it is going, but to be home with family and have a great job for hubbie is worth giving it a go here for!

So, i have lost endless nights of sleep worrying about the decision, i have worried about everything..but do you know what...the Uk isn't really that bed (for us anyway).

I have missed my family so much, have been ill with depression because i was away from the people i love and the place i wanted to be. I read post after post on here about how awful home was, how it had gone down the pan, the weather was awful and the place was full of losers/drug addicts and asylum seekers...well it isn't and i really want to say....from my heart...if you want to come home, find a way to try to make it work....don't stay in a place where you are not really deeply happy, you may pay with your sanity in the end..i did and i know it has taken its toll.

last Christmas it was 46 degrees on Christmas day where we lived, it was disgusting, we had a lovely day all the same, but this year i can't wait to buy a real christmas tree, show my boys the lights/smells and real feeling of this magical time (especially as a child) and just soak it up.

Sorry for going on, just can't believe how hard it was to try to come home, how scared i was of the unknown...should have trusted my gut all those years ago...still..home now and all is good.

Take care to all of those who are agonising, trust your deep deep gut and dig deep inside and the answer is there.

xx

I am sure this will be a fantastic post for all those agonising over coming back, good luck in your new home.:wubclub:

Welcome home..... your a very lucky lady in that your husband has come home with you, I bet you feel so much better now hey! Enjoy the UK, I love it home, in fact I look at the UK very differently than before I left, there are some beautiful places that we don't appreciate until we cant see them anymore. I felt so much at peace once I was home, I'm sure by reading your post - you do too.

Guest justwannasay
Welcome home..... your a very lucky lady in that your husband has come home with you, I bet you feel so much better now hey! Enjoy the UK, I love it home, in fact I look at the UK very differently than before I left, there are some beautiful places that we don't appreciate until we cant see them anymore. I felt so much at peace once I was home, I'm sure by reading your post - you do too.

Oh my goodness, you are so right about my Husband...I think he finally realised that for us to stay together as a family and for our boys to have a healthy Mother, we had to come here and try..he didn't think for one moment that he would succeed in getting a job (the doom and gloom from here tells us, "there are no jobs") but i am very lucky and i will always know and remember how hard it will be for him at times here..but my family love him to bits and we have friends from when we lived here before.....There is so much to do..compared to our isolated and bland existance in paradise!!

Great to hear that you have found your feet so quickly! You are indeed very lucky to have an Aussie husband who would go with you (mine wont!). Isolated and bland in paradise describes it very well!!!!

Hope it continues to go well for you!

justwannasay, FANTASTIC! thank you so much for taking the time to write this post. It is great to hear that things have worked out for you. Know what you mean about the fear factor, we had it end of last year when we made the decision that we wanted to leave Oz after 10 yrs away from UK.

Seems like you are going the wrong way up the river when you tell people that you are going back to the UK from Oz (except family who are over the moon!)

Reading your post makes me very excited & I really truely can't wait to go home..... :)

It was great to read such a positive post about life in the UK, particularly as it was based on your own recent experiences, and not lifted from the doom and gloom stories of the tabloids. I too value the quality of my life here despite the changing times and fragile economy.

No one knows for sure how things will pan out in the longer term, and in that respect I understand why people may feel that their best option for a better life is to move on, be it to Australia or somewhere else in the world. But for me there are many things, some of them incredibly trivial if I’m honest, that add up to a good and happy life here in the UK. Everybody has to find what works best for them I guess.

Anyway, welcome back, and good luck for a bright and happy future.:hug:

Guest siamsusie
It was great to read such a positive post about life in the UK, particularly as it was based on your own recent experiences, and not lifted from the doom and gloom stories of the tabloids. I too value the quality of my life here despite the changing times and fragile economy.

No one knows for sure how things will pan out in the longer term, and in that respect I understand why people may feel that their best option for a better life is to move on, be it to Australia or somewhere else in the world. But for me there are many things, some of them incredibly trivial if I’m honest, that add up to a good and happy life here in the UK. Everybody has to find what works best for them I guess.

Anyway, welcome back, and good luck for a bright and happy future.:hug:

Wishing you a very happy life back in the Uk as well:hug:

love Susie x

Welcome back hope you still feel like this next April because although the snow will be a nice for Christmas day, we have had the coldest winter for years. Everything grinds to a halt and after the first two days of snowballing even the kids want it gone.

Welcome back hope you still feel like this next April because although the snow will be a nice for Christmas day, we have had the coldest winter for years. Everything grinds to a halt and after the first two days of snowballing even the kids want it gone.

And 46 degree heat is fun is it.....:SLEEP:

Welcome home OP we have been back nearly a year and are still loving it:jiggy:

I actually hate the snow........it is nice to look at...........................BUT........try living and working in 40+ degree heat then tell me which one you prefer.

At least you can wrap up when it is cold..........................There are only so many layers you can take off when it gets too hot before you are arrested for indecent exposure......:biglaugh:

we are the same 1 year back in the UK and what a year its been. still catching up with our lovely family and all the friends whom we have lots of History with. We done the "Harsh winter" and i definetly prefer the changing seasons from the Harsh heat of the sun. and not having to constantly put sunscreen on and then mozzie spray of an evening. the changing seasons and the long days (doesnt go dark till after 10pm at the moment) have definetly won me over. I do not regret emmigrating to Aus and staying for 5 years. but even more so definetly do not regret coming back eithier. we are just very lucky we had the option. i feel sorry for the people who feel trapped in a country they feel they can never call home. And believe me ther are lots of people who are trapped. due to finances, partners not wanting to do the same, feeling they need to wait and get citizenship, married to an australian partner, or maybe splitting up with the father/mother of a child who will not agree to kids leaving the country. My heart goes out to these people and count my lucky stars everyday.

I LOVE READING POSITIVE POSTS ABOUT OUR OWN COUNTRY IT SHOWS ITS NOT ALL BAD. THANKYOU X

Maybe.......but has the heat shut the airports, closed the roads, schools and brought industry to a stand still. Give me the heat any day but hey everyone is diffrent! Anyone fancy chipping in for my £2000 gas bill from last winter?

Guest mozziebite
Maybe.......but has the heat shut the airports, closed the roads, schools and brought industry to a stand still. Give me the heat any day but hey everyone is diffrent! Anyone fancy chipping in for my £2000 gas bill from last winter?

No, far worse, the heat has caused horrendous bush fires. Watched a documentary when in Oz about the Melbourne bush fire, it was just awful, God those poor people

You are right though, thankfully we are all different and like different things, would be a boring world otherwise.

Good luck to the OP, it was a brave decision and a big move, so happy for you its working out well, all the bext xxxx

Guest siamsusie

Our members that come onto this thread are either in the process of having left/ proposing to leave or having to reside in Australia for a variety of reasons.

Hopefully this is an area where we can offer constructive and sympathetic advice without fear of recrimination.

To balance things a tad, we have had a variety of airports / schools/ roads etc close in Australia for a variety of weather/volcanic ash/cyclonic incidences also.

Good luck to the returnees, your decision didnt come lightly!

Susie x

I really do appreciate we are all different and are thankfully able to express our individual thoughts and opinions on this marvellous site. I also appreciate all the people who are heading over to Aus have their own expectations of why they are heading this way and I honestly wish you all the very best and hope that it lives up to all or mostly what you want it too be! But the weather in Australia can be extreme and can pose real dangers depending on where you live, something I never experienced in England (not that this would put me of living here). I too would have swapped the heat for the cold and ice & slush any day a few years back, but having experienced some of the extreme ends of the spectrum my thoughts have changed a fair bit. I also feel its swings and roundabouts with the household bills - heating v air con? Anyway just my thoughts, I know people heading out from the UK are mainly fed up with it over there and like I said looking for something different, but please appreciate that people heading back haven't made the decision lightly, in alot of cases it was a harder one to make than coming in the first place.:wink:

I was having a silent laugh to myself reading this post.

On finishing my early shift I made my way to the train station in 40 + heat to get home. The train broke down (nothing new there) and we had to sit for an hour with no air-con (horrendous conditions in which I am sure that I lost a stone in weight). And they would not let us off the train !

At the end of the day, it is all swings and roundabouts.

Wait till you get your air-con bill !!