New Category 5's - Where are you now?

mlsdq

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they will finish June and then they will have only 3500 cat 4s left after that to process who applied after July.

seeing that cat3 is almost finished, we have to wait for next update to see how fast they process cat4

but i'm still predicting around mid april we cat5s could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

seeing that cat3 is almost finished, we have to wait for next update to see how fast they process cat4

but i'm still predicting around mid april we cat5s could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Their are a few in June and July for cat 4 but after that with the rule changes their are very few applicants that have lodged, I think it may be sooner than April when they look at cat 5 as they will not wait till all cat 4 have been allocated as they would normally start a new cat once they are near the end of another. :biggrin:

Hi there,

I have received an off-list offer of state sponsorship from Tasmania. My occupation is Welfare Worker. This is not on the SOL list. Does this automatically make me a category fiver, or does the very fact of state sponsorship put me in a category 4?

I'm finding all this stuff very scary....

Hi there,

I have received an off-list offer of state sponsorship from Tasmania. My occupation is Welfare Worker. This is not on the SOL list. Does this automatically make me a category fiver, or does the very fact of state sponsorship put me in a category 4?

I'm finding all this stuff very scary....

It makes you Cat 3.

It makes you Cat 3.

Thanks for your reply.

I should have made it clear that 'Welfare Worker' is not on Tasmania's SMP. It only appears on the SOL List Schedule 2. I thought this would automatically put me in Cat 5?

I am very surprised that Tas offered to sponsor me at all....

I'm not sure how I could be in Cat 3?

Cheers.

I agree with Mr Bajwa about the makeover :biggrin: Well done to those involved!

I think that there will be an influx of Cat 4 Onshore applicants soon due to graduation ceremonies for many university graduates this month. I assume this influx will happen this month and in Jan 12 as these individuals are awaiting for positive skill assessments, IELTS, etc. Fingers crossed that DIMIA are capable of dealing with this influx.

I am surprised that not many SMP lists have been updated. I hope that many more plan to introduce off list nominations - this could potentially reduce the Cat 5 backlog as people in Australia with genuine job offers in their field as well as those working in their fields will be able to convert to Cat 3. I don't understand why no one has thought of this before.

Anyway have a great week everyone :wink:

I agree with Mr Bajwa about the makeover :biggrin: Well done to those involved!

I think that there will be an influx of Cat 4 Onshore applicants soon due to graduation ceremonies for many university graduates this month. I assume this influx will happen this month and in Jan 12 as these individuals are awaiting for positive skill assessments, IELTS, etc. Fingers crossed that DIMIA are capable of dealing with this influx.

If the last update is anything to go by, they ran through the entire bunch of people who graduated in July in a fortnight (last update to onshore Cat4 was from June 30 to October 10 in a single fortnight)

With the stricter requirements on IELTS, onshore applicants have reduced in numbers apparently.

Hope this will never happen, as DIAC have promised to deal with Cat 5 backlog in DATE ORDER! This will only be fair for those of us who have been waiting such a long time! Next Friday I've been waiting for assessment for exactly 3 years now!! We don't want Queue Jumpers again Thank you Very Much. No disrespect.

Hi there,

I don't mean disrespect to you either...we both have been waiting for similar periods (mine approx 2.5 years). It is a similar situation to when DIMIA decides to introduce certain occupations back onto the current SOL eg Fitters, Pharmacists, etc like they did in Jul 11. I guess you weren't a fan of that move either. It's just unfair that certain states (WA and apparently TAS) give them and others don't. Why can't Cat 5 onshore applicants with a job/job offer in Australia in their field get priority? It makes much much more sense to give priority to those with a good paying job/job offer in their field as opposed to someone who may/may not get a job offer here. I know of people from overseas who don't get a job in their field for whatever reason (English speaking abilities, Australian work experience. etc).

DIMIA has promised to look at Cat 5 in date order yes but in different streams like they are doing now - onshore vs offshore; paper vs online so what I am suggesting won't affect offshore anyway. There are more onshore applicants vs offshore so who knows how things are going to go.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome for everyone.

If the last update is anything to go by, they ran through the entire bunch of people who graduated in July in a fortnight (last update to onshore Cat4 was from June 30 to October 10 in a single fortnight)

With the stricter requirements on IELTS, onshore applicants have reduced in numbers apparently.

December graduations are heaps heaps bigger than July graduations.

I do agree with what you are saying about reduced applicants but there will be a large number. Remember that the last couple of updates for Onshore Cat 4 applicants were stuck in June for AGES. This was apparently due to influx in last minute applications.

It was discussed in earlier posts also that there will be a considerable amount of waiting for some of the category 5 applicants like who applied in 2010 and 2011. But in my opinion, they will start processing 2007 and 2008 applicants as soon as possible and they are talking about this in their latest updates. Let us understand this that they will not keep this backlog for so long. THey will have to clear 2007 and 2008 category 5 by any mean. Yes they can apply cap and cease on some these applications. But they will have to think 100 times to do this.

2012 willo bring some new

Hi there,

I don't mean disrespect to you either...we both have been waiting for similar periods (mine approx 2.5 years). It is a similar situation to when DIMIA decides to introduce certain occupations back onto the current SOL eg Fitters, Pharmacists, etc like they did in Jul 11. I guess you weren't a fan of that move either. It's just unfair that certain states (WA and apparently TAS) give them and others don't. Why can't Cat 5 onshore applicants with a job/job offer in Australia in their field get priority? It makes much much more sense to give priority to those with a good paying job/job offer in their field as opposed to someone who may/may not get a job offer here. I know of people from overseas who don't get a job in their field for whatever reason (English speaking abilities, Australian work experience. etc).

DIMIA has promised to look at Cat 5 in date order yes but in different streams like they are doing now - onshore vs offshore; paper vs online so what I am suggesting won't affect offshore anyway. There are more onshore applicants vs offshore so who knows how things are going to go.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome for everyone.

funny thing is the SOL list

a lot of my friends are graduates from accounting study yet they are unable to secure a full time job in their field, yet they keep putting the accounting in the SOL list....explain...

funny thing is the SOL list

a lot of my friends are graduates from accounting study yet they are unable to secure a full time job in their field, yet they keep putting the accounting in the SOL list....explain...

Hi Jason,

There is also the case where certain applicants (and this may/may not include your friends) have studied Accounting just for PR. Accounting is becoming the new Chef/Hairdresser study route. There may be a shortage in accounting jobs due to GFC. My flatmate who is Aussie knew a lot of people with no intention of becoming an Accountant who studied Accounting. They just wanted PR. I think DIMIA wanted only CPA accountants because these applicants have been in their field for a few years as opposed to a new graduate. I don't think this happened cos in June they approved an offshore Accountant who has no interest whatsoever in Accounting and is becoming a life coach. I know that nurses aren't able to secure full time nursing positions. I know lawyers that are finding it hard to secure jobs. These include domestic graduates. You know a lot of accountants in a similar fate. There are private companies that have not been hiring certain professionals yet this particular occupation remains on the SOL and certain SMPs.

In my opinion, applications should only be accepted if they have a job/job offer in their field especially if onshore for GSM. This is why they introduced the ENS but the 3 year work experience is something new graduates do not have and puts them at a disadvantage.

There is no perfect system. I just don't understand why someone who is onshore who has a job in their field earning about ENS market rates (above 49k) cannot be given priority if they are stuck in Cat 5. If they had thought of this when introducing priority processing, I don't think there would have been a massive Cat 5 backlog especially onshore applicants (27, 000 applicants). It is what it is and this is me venting my spleen.

I do believe applicants will get processed. However, people should look into other venues just in case. It's handy having a plan b, c, d, etc

All the best everyone. I hope all the waiting pays off one day.

Archived