Starting married life in OZ? All I can find is negative feedback :(

Tea4two

Hello all

I'm starting this post as I really need help and advice. I sat on this website and another one last night reading horror stories and posts about finance issues in OZ...one whole thread of people saying don't do it, you will be left in financial ruin.

Our position - we are 30/31, just married, just sold our house in the Scottish Highlands and are about 25K up after the sale (not something many people can say now eh?). My contract for my job finished in May and my hubby is a self employed Plumber, but still finding it hard.

We have state sponsorship from Victoria pending a positive skills test result. We would then be in category 2 and as things are at the moment, would perhaps even get our visa before Christmas. We are at the point now where we have to send off this skills test application as we only have a set time to get this to Victoria to confirm their sponsorship. As some of you know this cost is really high - $2400. So this is the start of our costs and before we fork this out I want to be sure.

We travelled the world in 2008/09 and we cannot settle here in Scotland, it's remote, cold and not much going on with employment almost non existent. I'm not sure if we were in the South whether we would feel differently. We are up for a challenge and like doing new things so wanted to emigrate for a better way of life. OZ, Canada and USA were on the cards. Can't get in to USA, Canada annual leave puts me off so we decided on OZ.

We worked out that between us we can prob earn 100K - would this really be a struggle? My main concern is that after being there a few years we would want to start a family and so would be reduced to one wage, perhaps 60K then if hubby has got his plumbing licence. I'd want to go back to work but I see child care costs are high also. Do we also really need private medical insurance? I was treated while in OZ when travelling and all seemed okay with their public hospitals? I went online to Cole's to see if I could get a rough estimate for shopping and it didn't seem as bad as some say, especially if you go for own brand rather than the brands we know and love.

At such a crucial point in our lives I don't want to make the wrong move and end up back here in a few years, with no money, starting again having not started a family.

Any help or breakdown of figures would be helpful :) xx:arghh:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, unfortunately no one can say whether or not it will work for you or not. Personally it is the best thing I ever did, my only issues is that I wish we had moved sooner.

In regards to income I know families of 4 who are managing on $40k a year. Some will say it's impossible but it depends on how you are use to living. Once you get PR and start a family you should hopefully qualify for Family Assistance and depending on how much you earn you may be able to get back 50% of your child care costs.

Personally I think life is too short to stay somewhere if you aren't happy, if you have already sold your house have no jobs tying you down then why not go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kate

Hi and welcome to the forum, unfortunately no one can say whether or not it will work for you or not. Personally it is the best thing I ever did, my only issues is that I wish we had moved sooner.

In regards to income I know families of 4 who are managing on $40k a year. Some will say it's impossible but it depends on how you are use to living. Once you get PR and start a family you should hopefully qualify for Family Assistance and depending on how much you earn you may be able to get back 50% of your child care costs.

Personally I think life is too short to stay somewhere if you aren't happy, if you have already sold your house have no jobs tying you down then why not go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kate

Hi Kate, with regards to the 'up to 50% rebate' on childcare costs I didnt think this was dependant on your earnings, I thought everybody was entitled to it ??

Guest Joey0483

I know how you feell - I am hoping to emigrate to Perth June 2012, luckily I wont really have visa costs as with the job I have applied for (ambulance service) they sponsor you and pay for the visa (I believe!). I too have read pages and pages of horror stories about the costs of living ($15 per kilo for bananas, etc) and people saying we will face financial ruin within 6 months if we make the move.

It is terrifying as our lives here are not affluent but we can afford to live.

2 seperate friends emigrated to Perth within the last year and they both say they are managing well and are not living hand to mouth by any means. The scary part is the start up costs i think - realistically you need money to live on for 4 - 6 months before you can get back on your feet I think. Your £25,000 will get eaten pretty quickly i think - rent, bills, medicare, car hire/buy, insurances, food and then buying all the bits and pieces you didnt ship over. One website i read yesterday said you need to stock up on clothes, mascaras, etc etc before going out as things are soooo expensive.

Scary - have you looked at aussiemmove website? There is a great section in there on cost of living where everything such as broadband, sky tv costs etc are listed.

Hope someone else can give a bit more help xx

Hi Baxters. To me, at your time of life and given you have 25K to play with it sounds like the ideal time to emigrate. As you say "Scotland, it's remote, cold and not much going on with employment almost non existent."

You may as well make the move. We had a 2 year old when we emigrated and not as much as you when we came over and things worked out just fine. We love it here.

You might have just been looking on the wrong threads if you've not come across many positive posts, they are out there I can assure you.

A lot of people who are happy with their lot in Aus wouldn't bother coming on a web site like this just to say how good things are, they are too busy just enjoying it.

As in most forums, people making the most comment have an axe to grind, or an opinion on something and a lot of that tends to be negative.

I think you are spot on about it not being as expensive as a lot make out compared to the UK. I find a lot of the time they are comparing prices in Oz to prices they remembered when they left the UK. I don't suppose the UK has been without inflation over the last few years.

You might be pleasantly surprised what your hubby can earn as a plumber. My son is a sparky and his best mate a plumber. They are both looking at around $80,000 and are just out of their apprenticeship. If your husband becomes self employed and doesn't mind working weekends he would be looking at more than this. On top of this tradies can claim tax back on vehicles used for work. My son is riding around in a XR6 Turbo Ute and got a $6,000 tax rebate last year.

You are young, have a bit of cash behind you, stuck in Scotland by the sounds of it. What have you got to lose?

Good luck.

When I married and returned to live in Aus with my oh we had about a thousand quid between us. He did have a job and I soon got one. We rented a flat and did not have much but it was fun and we had no children to worry about at the time.

Best time to take the plunge before the children come along. My oh had a really top wage at the time however once we decided to have children he took a job with a lot less money, so that he could be home all the time. We managed, bought a house and then had the children.

I did have my parents here but well cannot say they were here as I returned to Melbourne and they lived in the Kimberly and to be honest did not see much of them in those years at all. So we were on our own as well.

Half the fun is building a life and I do not regret living here I love it actually.

go for it. ill echo everyone elses sentiments about being young and having money....whats to lose?!. I too worry about finances and 'how I will live'. And this is from me, an Aussie, who has been in the UK 10 yrs and now view my home as some expensive place where I cant work out or marry up how all my friends and family earn X yet manage to have a house that cost Y and Y seems so out of wack to the 'crap' X salary :biggrin: I mention that to my mum and she just stares blankly and doesnt get it and says 'dont be rediculous, you'll be fine'.

For me the biggest killer about moving to Oz is how it just seems one bug monopoly for key companies and they can get away with expensive and poor service. The internet bugs me so much. Im used to unlimited download and paying little for it. Yet in Australia they treat it like the golden goose and limit your download, give you a rubbish speed and charge you a kings ransom. When I complain about it Ive had people call me a whinging pom (ha!) as my accent has diluted and to Aussies I sound like a pom but to poms I sound Australian!

You need to take the negative feedback as a "reality check". That's what I did, it just gives you a good idea of the good and the bad. If you have the right attitude you believe this country is for you, you will make it. We have come here on £20.000, my OH got a job within 3 weeks (90k) and although we spent alot on setting ourselves up, we have money left over and we are even able to save some money each month from his salary alone. I will start working next week, and we will be MUCH better off then we were in the UK, not to mention our quality of life has improved enormously.

Don't let the negativity scare you off, Australia has much to offer and sounds to me you have not got a lot to lose.

Aw thanks everyone! and you are very right about those living the dream enjoying life are less likely to come on here and post! Except those of you who have and for that I am very grateful. We are moving in with the inlaws for the next few months until we go so hopefully should be able to save more money to life off when we arrive. I didn't realise Plumbers could earn so much? We already have a job offer but as it's a small company we are going for the state sponsored visa instead and that way if there are any problems with the job, our visa still stands. So hopefully, when we first arrive we should be able to live off his wage.

I'm thinking much more positively now, mind over matter! And the jobs on offer there to here don't even compare...there are non here! And I worked in the Jobcentre for 2 years when we moved up here as it was the only place taking on and it's disheartening seeing well qualified people coming in, having nothing to offer them and seeing them change as they lose their confidence after rejections (if they found any jobs to apply for)!

I'm up for a change of life and we will be trying our hardest to make it work and meeting up with locals as well as other migrants.

Thanks you all for bringing back a sense of excitement...might sleep better tonight! xx

Hi Kate, with regards to the 'up to 50% rebate' on childcare costs I didnt think this was dependant on your earnings, I thought everybody was entitled to it ??

No, it's not dependant on earnings but not everybody gets it.

There are certain requirements you must meet to get the Child Care Rebate.

You must have:

• used approved child care during the year;

• been eligible for Child Care Benefit (entitled at a rate of zero or more)*;

• passed the work, training, study test at some time during the week the approved care was provided

Basically as I'm not working, training or studying for 15 hours a week, we don't qualify. Which makes sense if you think about it. They aren't going to subsidise stay at home mothers for a "day off" (unfortunately :biglaugh:)

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/childcare_rebate.htm

I worked in the Jobcentre for 2 years when we moved up here as it was the only place taking on and it's disheartening seeing well qualified people coming in, having nothing to offer them and seeing them change as they lose their confidence after rejections (if they found any jobs to apply for)!

You might want to post this in the "lazy Britain" thread.

Guest Scotinaus

Definitely do it! I am a fellow Scottish emigrant (is that a word?) and have been in Melbourne since I was 22. It was hard at first but for the last few years I have been 100% settled here, and Melbourne is definitely home for us now. I think it sounds like a great time for you to give it a go from a financial point of view as well.

Good luck!

For every post you read saying how expensive it is there will half a dozen saying it isnt.

We have been here almost 5 years, we left a decent lifestyle,regular freign holidays, well paid jobs ,lots of friends etc and financially we aren't and probably wont be as well off here as we were in the UK,we dont have spare cash to go and buy what we want on a whim, we have to save for it first,, on the flip side, we managed to buy almost mortgage free due to the exchange rate at the time we moved and we both opted to work part time instead of full time plus over time like we did in the UK.

We still have takeaways if we want, the kids do out of school sport, we have holidays and weekends away, both have vehicles and overall life is pretty good.

We moved from Gtr Manchester and yet 5 years on i am paying LESS for fuel, car insurance, house insurance, water and rates over here than i was back then.

What i found is there is loadssss to do in this country for free or very little money, partly because the weather is better allowing you to be outside more and partly because the place is so blooming big you never run out of new places to visit,lol.

Be prepared to start at the bottom here and work your way up, its highly unlikely you will hop off the plane, move into a top notch rental house by the sea and secure a fantastic job.

Lots of tradies i know have gone through 3 or 4 jobs in their first year until they find something they like at the right money. Some of the mums i know have searched for part time work for months before getting something. The more prepared you are that you will face tough times at first ,the better it will be for you once your here.

Also PLEASE swat up on Trade Licencing in the state you are headed,,, it can be a slap in the face if your not aware of it (in QLD especially).

Just remember the grass will be as green as you want to make it.

Have i any regrets about migrating here????????? Nah, just wish id done it a few years earlier! lol

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Guest littlesarah

My hubby and I came over here with a decent amount of cash behind us (about 50k GBP), and both found work straight away. We lived last year on less than $100k, and even managed a trip to the UK!!

Having said that, it depends where you live and what you spend your money on.

Bananas are not the best commodity on which to base any assessment of the cost of living - at the moment they're expensive because the floods in QLD decimated the plantations so they're in short supply.

There is a lot of whingeing about the cost of electricity (which is set to rise by up to 18%, depending on which State you live in) - but to be honest, we spend less on that than we did in Britain, and also spend less on rates and water too. We have a pretty large mortgage, which takes up half of my wages (I'm the main breadwinner, hubby has a casual contract so only gets paid for the hours he works); but we manage to pay all the bills out of my salary and have a little left over at the end of the fortnight.

We don't spend much on clothing or entertainment - our biggest non-essential (which is arguable, apparently) would be my husband's surfboards (he breaks at least one a year, to the point where it can't be mended any more)!!

If we were to have children, things would be much tighter financially, but I'm lucky that I'd get mat pay for 6 months; and I suspect that hubby would get a permanent job in that time, or else stay at home!

It's not a utopia where everything is super-cheap and it's all marvellous - we still work hard; but we now live where we want to in a home that we plan to stay in for at least 25 years!! (It'll probably take that long to finish it!) I agree with Cal - if you come here with the desire to have an adventure and make it work, you stand a really good chance that you will get the life you want.

Sarah

I don't get these posts suggesting that it is only the bitter and miserable people on the forum and everyone else is out enjoying life. Because as far as I can tell, there are loads of people on PIO who are positive about Australia and don't moan about the cost of living. :smile:

The biggest expense for most people is accommodation, I do find that expensive here. But I find my utilities and travel to work cheaper, insurance is a bit more expensive and I cannnot be bothered to analyse the cost of everything in my shopping trolley, but overall it feels just fine to me.

Guest charter

Best thing we ever did. We live by the beach and the kids have a backyared pool to swim in. Yes it can be expensive but there are also a lot of well paying jobs around too. We have a joint income of AUD80-90k and we get child care rebates fo 50% as we are both working. Houses are quite dear but no more so than the UK for what you get for your money. You can still buy a 3 bed house within 300 metres of the beach, half hour north of Brisbane for under AUD 350k.

friends who work in the mining sector 3 weeks on 1 week off are earning around AUD200k.

When people look at the cost of living in Oz they convert the price back to sterling. The pound has dropped against the dollar recently, so converting does not work.

Inflation is very high in the UK right now. The rising prices are being hidden through loss in value and dodgy government figures. Energy prices are a good indicator of inflation.

My colleagues in Oz managed to secure a 30% pay rise. They managed 3% here in the UK. Given the fact that inflation is realistically 10%, I can safely assume that my labor is will get me more in Oz. The UK is trying to hold back inflation right now. The real effect of inflation will be apparent here very soon.

Anyway, at least your taxes get you some decent public services in Oz. In the UK it's all theft and austerity.

Hi from Scozzies here in sunny Sydney.Sent you a private message as too long to put in quike reply.

Came over 9 yrs ago in our mid 40s with 3 teenages.Company transfer $60,000 bought a house ,raised kids all got 98% pass at state high schools.All got exellent jobs.Oneis an ink chemist,One works for Virgin mobiles and worked his way up to Marketing Manager for Australia.And youngest is a fencer and landscape gardener..And I have started my own buisness.

Wish you all the best.

Guest GregnDeb

Hi, After moving here 2 1/2 years ago, I wished we'd done it 20 years ago! We've always thought you only live once and "if it doesn't work out we can always go back to the UK". We have now bought our own house and we feel it is more expensive to buy than rent but we wanted our own place so thats that, we've bought a 'doer uppr' so we know we will always get our money back minimum. Both our kids go to private school and the fees are cheaper for both than they were for 1 in the UK. I think when you first arrive you always compare prices to the UK and it seems cheaper. When you start earning and paying bills etc.. after a while it seems about the same. The thing thats best is the weather is better and the way of life is a lot more layed back. We now have a detached 4 bedroom house with a swimming pool that was probably 20k more than our 3 storey terraced mill house in the north of England. We could not have got equivalent in the UK. We have felt really welcomed by all the Aussies that we've met and would hate to have to return to the UK. Good Luck on your decision.

Debbie

I got 0.05% pay rise the year before last, and so far been offered 0% this year!

I know exactly what you mean about Scotland. i live in an unemployment blackspot, and its only because i left home to train as an aircraft engineer that i was able to get a decent career opportunity. ive worked all over the UK and Europe until i was finally able to get a job in Aberdeen and come home for a while. if it wasn't for the oil industry, there would be nothing in Scotland for me, especially not on the money i'm on. if i lose my job there, which is a constant possibility in my game, happens every few years, there is Bristow and Bond to try, but otherwise i have to move elsewhere to England where houses are more expensive and would earn less money, or because my wife has a career also, i might have to get digs and commute on shift. thats no life i want.

i have the opportunity to move to Australia now and a good chance of moving with my company i work for now but on almost twice the money, so if i can im going for it. i dont even have any real savings to speak of and id be lucky to cover my mortgage if i sold up. all my money has gone into renovating the house for no added value!

so screw it! we're going for it, and to hell with money! you cant take it with you, ok, well in this case you can!

you have to live somewhere on the means you have available to you, why not do it somewhere else, where you might have a better life or at least a life experience that too many narrow minded people in this town/country/world dont seem to understand. why are we, the ones who want to broaden our horizons, made to feel like we are the idiots!?