Hi all, we have just been told that again we haven't got enough points for a pass.

Results were listening 7.5 reading 8.5 writing 9.0 speaking 9.0 overall band score 8.5

We are a young married couple 28 & 29, two children 3 & 10.

Catherine is a secondary school teacher (4years) degree in teaching and criminal psychology. Native language is English.

We are being told that we need 8 in each section to qualify! At the test centers Catherine spoke with people less qualified than her who said they only needed 7.0 in each section?

We've been reading online and have seen that the IELTS if for ppl who are less qualified or not native English speaking.

Any ideas on this as we are not looking forward to the stress, payment ad hassle of having to take these test again.

Cheers

Tyrone

Cheers

Tyrone

Tyrone 30, Catherine 29, Faye 12 & Myles 4. Moving to NSW. Applying for the 'The Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)' - IELTS completed with band score of 8.0 - AITSL application completed. - lodged to DIAC JUNE 2012.

police and meds completed. 1 further medical req'd, completed & submitted. -

PR VISA RECEIVED 16 APRIL 2013 :biggrin:!!

Sounds like you need the 8s to get the extra points to hit the magic number for the points test. The people that only need 7s may have higher points in other areas and therefore don't need to get as high on the IELTS to make up the difference.

It may also be a requirement for the occupation you've chosen on the SoL.

Best of luck.

Its just everywhere we look online, esp the immi.gov.au 175 webpage its says we only need 7.0 in each to get the 25 points. Then we're 5 points over??

We've emailed our Visa Bureau agent but got to wait for the reply in the morning.

Such a pain as we were only 0.5 short!

Tyrone 30, Catherine 29, Faye 12 & Myles 4. Moving to NSW. Applying for the 'The Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)' - IELTS completed with band score of 8.0 - AITSL application completed. - lodged to DIAC JUNE 2012.

You are looking at the points on IELTS until the end of June 2011.

From July 1st you need to consider the attached

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#a

and look at the new points test

Description of English language ability

Superior English (a score of at least 8 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)

Proficient English (a score of at least 7 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11. Arrived 17/11/16 and settled in Melbourne

Citizenship App: 24 May 2020
Test Invitation: 
Test Date: 
Approval: 
Ceremony: 
Council: Port Phillip, Vic

Thanks for that info!

Not what we wanted to hear lol, but at least we're clear and know what's going on now!

Best brush up on listening then! :( and get £115 lighter again!! Lol

So annoying that we were only half a point short!

Cheers again!

Tyrone

Hi all, we have just been told that again we haven't got enough points for a pass.

Results were listening 7.5 reading 8.5 writing 9.0 speaking 9.0 overall band score 8.5

We are a young married couple 28 & 29, two children 3 & 10.

Catherine is a secondary school teacher (4years) degree in teaching and criminal psychology. Native language is English.

We are being told that we need 8 in each section to qualify! At the test centers Catherine spoke with people less qualified than her who said they only needed 7.0 in each section?

We've been reading online and have seen that the IELTS if for ppl who are less qualified or not native English speaking.

Any ideas on this as we are not looking forward to the stress, payment ad hassle of having to take these test again.

Cheers

Tyrone

Cheers

Tyrone

I'd suggest you to definitely book another IELTS(if your file requires to get 8 each in four sections BUT

do fill in re-check for your existing result only for 7.5)

Because, I gave IELTS 3 times :

1st result: short by .5 in writing (Didn't sent for rechecking)

On receiving 1st result I booked 2 IELTS Dates side by side

2nd result: short by .5 in writing again and now I was definite that it's not be who is at fault as I am confident enough in anything in IELTS so I sent for rechecking and meanwhile appeared for IELTS in the coming week.

(my 2nd result had error in result form, saying I never appeared for IELTS anything before and I just dragged IELTS administration over this saying that, If you can commit such an error while printing result forms what's the assurance that my Module was correctly accessed!?)

3rd Result: This came with all clear along with 2nd result corrected and re-assessed to All clear and refund of my rechecking bucks!!

Trust me, it's worth rechecking the IELTS result if you are kicked off by .5.

Cheers!

885 applied : March 2010 | ACS Reassessment applied : 28 Apr2011 | ACS Approved :26 July 2011 :smile: | Cat. 4 - 16 Aug 2011 |Meds and AFP Re-Done: 23rd Sept 2011 | Medicals and AFp received and confirmed: 5th Oct 2011 | CO -24-10-2011 GRANT: 25/10/2011

Guest anuj

hi Tyrone

I guess its true that people who has first language as english have to score 8 in all bands.

But Check out for new Australian Point system which states minimum requirement is 6 in all bands . 7 in each will also help you to score 10 points and 8 in all will lead to 20 points.

You can check for it.

But dont go for IELTS rechecking since in listening and reading there is no scope for points raise.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, we are aware that the reading and listening are pretty accurate with marking.

It seems that under the new point system we need the full 20 points.

We received a reply from our Visa agent this morning and he has suggested looking into 'work experience points' but as Catherine went part time for a few months a while back, and her working hours dropped to under 20hrs per week, this may not be a option.

SO looks like another attempt at the IELTS is on the cards.

Very frustrating for me, as the main Visa applicant is my wife, who works full time as a teacher and doesn’t stop working day & night, while I stay at home looking after our children.

It’s a lot to keep asking her to do this for us, but it seems the only way forward and the only way to OZ!

Let just hope that the next time is the LAST time!. Lol

Thanks for you info!

Tyrone

Guest Baazighar
Thanks Kevin, we are aware that the reading and listening are pretty accurate with marking.

It seems that under the new point system we need the full 20 points.

We received a reply from our Visa agent this morning and he has suggested looking into 'work experience points' but as Catherine went part time for a few months a while back, and her working hours dropped to under 20hrs per week, this may not be a option.

SO looks like another attempt at the IELTS is on the cards.

Very frustrating for me, as the main Visa applicant is my wife, who works full time as a teacher and doesn’t stop working day & night, while I stay at home looking after our children.

It’s a lot to keep asking her to do this for us, but it seems the only way forward and the only way to OZ!

Let just hope that the next time is the LAST time!. Lol

Thanks for you info!

Tyrone

You can also think about 176 visa (State Sponsorship) if Perth is the place you are looking for think about getting SS from WA, you will get priority processing too.

Getting SS will fetch you 5 points plus priority processing.

Regards

Baazighar...Im led to believe that SS is only worth 5 points under the new system...

You can also think about 176 visa (State Sponsorship) if Perth is the place you are looking for think about getting SS from WA, you will get priority processing too.

Getting SS will fetch you 10 points plus priority processing.

Regards

IELTS 19/03/11 (Overall: 8.5) | ACS (Dev/Prog 2613-12) passed 18/06/11 | 175 Lodged 22/06/11 | Front Loaded PCC 26/09/11, Meds 19/11/11 | CO: 30/01/12 | Visa Grant: 31/01/12 | Fly Out to Perth 13/08/12 | Settling into Perth...

Baazighar...Im led to believe that SS is only worth 5 points under the new system...

This is correct. Also, Catherine is an RE teacher, not commonly on the list... :no:

the most annoying this is that in a previous email from our Visa agent, we were told we needed to get 7.0 to pass. SO when we got the results yesterday morning we thought that was it! all done!

We emailed the agent our results to find out that we need 8.0! So annoyed and frustrated as Catherine only missed it by 0.5! Nevermind. I have faith in her. She WILL get there next time! (Fingers crosses) lol

Guest Baazighar

Thanks Bpremji for pointing it out, just corrected it :wubclub:

Guest mdeejacks
Its just everywhere we look online, esp the immi.gov.au 175 webpage its says we only need 7.0 in each to get the 25 points. Then we're 5 points over??

We've emailed our Visa Bureau agent but got to wait for the reply in the morning.

Such a pain as we were only 0.5 short!

hello Both,

i got exactly the same scores. i'm 39 which means I don't pick up as many points as a 20 year old so that would explain the need for getting over 8 in all sections. I was lucky to lodge before 1st of july so it means nothing to me now as i creep in with enough points anyway. Probably messed up on the true, false, not given section as us english speaking people tend to answer these questions based on our knowledge and not on what is in the text. Regardless of whether you know something is true you must see this info in the text otherwise you will get it wrong.

I hope you manage to get through

cheers jack

Best of luck in passing the IELTS at 8 or above (so annoying I know but maybe this will be your only hiccup!)

Got my fingers crossed for you

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11. Arrived 17/11/16 and settled in Melbourne

Citizenship App: 24 May 2020
Test Invitation: 
Test Date: 
Approval: 
Ceremony: 
Council: Port Phillip, Vic

Guest linzie24

Oh we feel your pain Tyrone and Catherine! Hubby has his IELTS booked for the 13 August. Thankfully he only needs 10 for a 176 visa (so all 7's I believe) and if he gets 20 we can apply for a 175 which I think (although it takes longer) we would prefer so that we are not tied to a particular state. However, he openly admits that English is not his strong point, particularly spelling. He is also pretty bad at the listening thing!!! :biggrin: However, he is really feeling the pressure as he feels like it is him that is standing between us and this fab new life. Whilst I have told him he can resit if necessary and not to worry, he hates failing and the last time he took an exam, he only got 90% and really upset for about 3 days, because it was the first time he had ever not got 100%!! However, that is in all stuff he is really knowledgeable and confident about, this however...............

Can you give us any tips on how to prepare - we have a study book but by accident I ordered the academic and general one. Think you only need to study the general one but wondered if studying the academic one would not do any harm?

South Australia offers state sponsorship to limited occupations only with 8 in IELTS (each). Isn't this the case?

Remember IELTS is not an English test. IELTS is just test taken in English. I would ask DIAC to take it and see.

Guest mdeejacks
Oh we feel your pain Tyrone and Catherine! Hubby has his IELTS booked for the 13 August. Thankfully he only needs 10 for a 176 visa (so all 7's I believe) and if he gets 20 we can apply for a 175 which I think (although it takes longer) we would prefer so that we are not tied to a particular state. However, he openly admits that English is not his strong point, particularly spelling. He is also pretty bad at the listening thing!!! :biggrin: However, he is really feeling the pressure as he feels like it is him that is standing between us and this fab new life. Whilst I have told him he can resit if necessary and not to worry, he hates failing and the last time he took an exam, he only got 90% and really upset for about 3 days, because it was the first time he had ever not got 100%!! However, that is in all stuff he is really knowledgeable and confident about, this however...............

Can you give us any tips on how to prepare - we have a study book but by accident I ordered the academic and general one. Think you only need to study the general one but wondered if studying the academic one would not do any harm?

if your man does his home work then i'm sure he can achieve a 7 across the board it not massively difficult. i got 7.5, 8.5, 8.5 and 9 in reading, listening, writing and speaking i needed 8 on all 4 but now i have lodged i dont need it at all

good luck to him

jack

Guest Baazighar

I have some preparation material for ielts which I can share with you, if anyone interested, pm me your email id, I will send thru email. Some files are of huge size, so will send as much as possible depending on the file sizes..

Regards

Guest anuj

My best wishes are with you Tyrone...!!~~~ Everything will be fine.

Cheers