Guest lisaifould

AAT exams!!!

Guest lisaifould

AAHHH i had my budgeting exam today for my final year in accounting!! scary! but the worst one is yet to come! I have been studying AAT for 3 years and on their web site it says that it is reakonised in Oz, does anyone know how the AAT is seen in regards to jobs?? :wacko:

I dont think its recognised as to be honest, even ACCA didnt seem that widely heard of. I may be wrong, but I think most qualified accountants convert their qualification to the australian equivalent if they can so that their quals are comparable and agencies put them forward for jobs based on that.

Perhaps someone with the qualification may come along and has not had problems getting it recognised but when I enquired with agencies about ACCA, some of them had not even heard of it, and that was ones dealing with accounting jobs!

My wife is a MAAT (or possibly a FAAT) and the Financial Controller of a very large company but when we first got here she had real problems getting employers to recognise any AAT quals.

The AAT exists in Oz (Google is your friend!) but they simply don't have the same clout or professional standing as they do in the UK and thus very few accounting professionals or HR managers have heard of them.

Conversely, those that have heard of the Association and know more about the training it provides, often hold the AAT in high regard but unfortunately the Australian AAT aren't very proactive and seem to do nothing to really help their own cause or that of their members.

If you aren't a graduate, the problem with transferring / upgrading your AAT qualification to an Aussie CA/CPA is that unlike the UK, neither of these bodies give any credit or exemptions for AAT - thus the prerequisite to training as a CA/CSA is having some sort of degree in any subject.

As far as getting a job commensurate with your skills, the biggest hurdle you'll face is that most employers have such tunnel vision that it is a knee-jerk reaction to put CPA/CA as an essential qualification on job ads without really understanding why and rejecting the CV of any applicant without them.

I would say that the key to getting on the interview shortlist for higher paid jobs is to get on the books of a good (not necessarily large) recruitment agency and ensure that the person handling your case is made aware of the strengths of AAT quailifications so they can really push your case and persuade the HR manager to think outside the box.

And be prepared to network your arse off when you get here!

Guest lisaifould
I dont think its recognised as to be honest, even ACCA didnt seem that widely heard of. I may be wrong, but I think most qualified accountants convert their qualification to the australian equivalent if they can so that their quals are comparable and agencies put them forward for jobs based on that.

Perhaps someone with the qualification may come along and has not had problems getting it recognised but when I enquired with agencies about ACCA, some of them had not even heard of it, and that was ones dealing with accounting jobs!

Thank you!! How do I convert my qualification?? Study again??

Guest lisaifould

only my GCSEs and my AAT level 2, 3 and soon level 4, my college doesn't offer anymore than them for accounting.

Bit tricky to say without knowing your career history or what sort of jobs you'll be looking for when you arrive in OZ.

For arguments sake, I'd say that as it stands your AAT stuff won't count for very much without quite a bit of practical experience to back it up.

Just out of interest, have you checked to see if the AAT qualifications score any migration points?

You're probably over studying, but unfortunately if you want to be in with a fighting chance of a decent job in the financial sector you are going to need more badges.

I suggest that you check this one out, but it may be that if you have started your Chartered Accountancy qualifications in the UK, you could transfer onto an Australian course without having to have the degree.

If this isn't possible, I'd maybe suggest that you get yourself on something like an Open University degree course which, if you haven't completed by the time you leave, you could finish from Australia.

Other than these, I don't think its worthwhile spending more time on AAT or similar UK qualifications.