$130k plus supa for Perth, can we live the dream....

Guest BSN

Hi, new user here. I am looking at re-locating to Perth with my wife & 3 kids. We don't live the high life, but don't want to be skint as well. I know it seems like a lot of cash - but will we do Ok for renting a decent 4 bed house & everything that goes with a family of 5 for $130k plus sup & LAFHA. I am estimating spending $600 or so week on rent - will we get a nice pad?? I hear cars are quite expensive. Also how far can we go out NOR and SOR if I have to commute to CBD as we want some "elbow room" if we can get it, but I don’t want to be sat in traffic all day long.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Check out the site realestate.com.au you should get a fantastic place with a pool for that sort of money. The $130,000 wage is equivalent to about £60,000 here in the uk, skilled average wages are paid at approximately $2.2 to £1, i think you will have a great quality of life and ............ best of luck.

great thanks for the response, gald I am right with the rental. not sure what you mean ref £60k in UK though & £2.2 to $1? Bit confused on this.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
great thanks for the response, gald I am right with the rental. not sure what you mean ref £60k in UK though & £2.2 to $1? Bit confused on this.

Average wages for skilled migrants is paid at roughly $2.2 to £1 ........... thats easy to follow.

The current exchange rate is $1.5 to £! and this rate fluctuates, a couple of years back it was $2.6 to £1......... thats also easy to follow.

You see the prices in each country don't alter much apart from inflation going up and therefore to get a true costing of things to be able to compare, its easiest to use the average wage figure. If you use the current exchange rate then you need to factor in that average skilled wages are paid roughly at 35% more in Australia and then it becomes complicated ............ well to me it does. lol

Your wage is a really good wage.

I'd forget about the 2.2 thing, that seems to be something cemented in peoples' minds when they come here but you will be earning twice the national average salary so you should be OK. Comparing with UK is pointless unless you are going to be earning dollars and spending pounds (and this is a fantastic time to be doing that, it has been much much worse in past years!!!) However, you will probably find that your one man's salary is pretty much equivalent to an average household income as many people find they need two incomes to make ends meet, service a mortgage etc. Dont know anything about "living the dream" but you should be reasonably comfortable.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'd forget about the 2.2 thing, that seems to be something cemented in peoples' minds when they come here but you will be earning twice the national average salary so you should be OK. Comparing with UK is pointless unless you are going to be earning dollars and spending pounds (and this is a fantastic time to be doing that, it has been much much worse in past years!!!) However, you will probably find that your one man's salary is pretty much equivalent to an average household income as many people find they need two incomes to make ends meet, service a mortgage etc. Dont know anything about "living the dream" but you should be reasonably comfortable.

The 2.2 thing as you put it, is very helpful to would be migrants to help them firstly compare the cost of living in each country and secondly it gives the true value of the wage they are getting in Australia compared to the uk, some think they are getting a huge pay rise by using the current exchange rate and in fact it can turn out to be a wage cut. Not long back someone earning £33,000 in the uk was offered $60,000 in Australia, they used the exchange rate and thought they would be earning the equivalent of £40,000 a £7,000 a year pay rise, when i pointed out it was actually worth the equivalent of about £27,000 a £5,000 pay cut they were shocked and thanked me for my help and advice and my advice to anyone emigrating is this ........... the best way to get the true value of a wage in Australia, compared to the uk is to use the 2.2 rate, average skilled wages figure, its not my figure, it has been on PIO for years now and it helps those migrating, if not when you get there everything will seem mega dear and you will struggle to make ends meet.

2.2 is a good way of working stuff out, i knew Perth was expensive but yeah its pretty pricey.

$600 will get you a nice place, make sure your near a station so you can get the train in, so much easier and quicker. My husband gets the train in everyday and it costs him $1.88 and takes 7 mins for him to get to the CBD, we live in an aprtemtn in Burswood and its amaing being close to the city but far enough away from the noise etc . 130k is a good wage, we pull in 150k combined roughly and thats pretty good amount, we spend $200 on food a week, $600 rent, $80 foxtel, $80 broadband and phone, then set aside $300 for gas elctric and water, recon electric will rocket come the summer though, much air con will be needed :)

Cars are well expensive though be warned, we sold a hilux and an slk and had to buy a 10 year old suberau, then theres stamp duty, rego and insurance and breakdown cover so we spent $10k on something id been able to pick up in the uk for next to nothing, as all the decent 4x4 will set you back many $$$$. Oh and booze is expenisve to, $50 for a case of Jim and coke, ouch

Saying that we love it here, itd be great if it was cheaper but its not , id rather see the sun almost everyday of the year than return to whats left of the uk thats for sure :)

good luck, youll be fine ;)

The 2.2 thing as you put it, is very helpful to would be migrants to help them firstly compare the cost of living in each country and secondly it gives the true value of the wage they are getting in Australia compared to the uk, some think they are getting a huge pay rise by using the current exchange rate and in fact it can turn out to be a wage cut. Not long back someone earning £33,000 in the uk was offered $60,000 in Australia, they used the exchange rate and thought they would be earning the equivalent of £40,000 a £7,000 a year pay rise, when i pointed out it was actually worth the equivalent of about £27,000 a £5,000 pay cut they were shocked and thanked me for my help and advice and my advice to anyone emigrating is this ........... the best way to get the true value of a wage in Australia, compared to the uk is to use the 2.2 rate, average skilled wages figure, its not my figure, it has been on PIO for years now and it helps those migrating, if not when you get there everything will seem mega dear and you will struggle to make ends meet.

Surely there is very little point in comparing what your money will get you in UK currency if you are earning and spending in a foreign currency. Surely it would make more sense to look at what the salary offers and how that compares with average rentals, food bills, transport etc rather than what the equivalent might be according to some vague conversion which hasnt been "actual" for quite a while. What you would be getting in UK£ is only relevant when you are spending in UK£. Maybe that is the problem though, people really believe there is a comparison whereas in fact there is not, just two foreign countries doing their own thing.

Surely there is very little point in comparing what your money will get you in UK currency if you are earning and spending in a foreign currency. Surely it would make more sense to look at what the salary offers and how that compares with average rentals, food bills, transport etc rather than what the equivalent might be according to some vague conversion which hasnt been "actual" for quite a while. What you would be getting in UK£ is only relevant when you are spending in UK£. Maybe that is the problem though, people really believe there is a comparison whereas in fact there is not, just two foreign countries doing their own thing.

You are right, but that is where the 2.2 thing is used as a means of equating the two.

My thoughts though are also the LAFHA is a good deal depending on how much you get. If you can live mostly off the LAFHA and save your salary you would be on easy street.

Guest KarenMer

My husband and I live in Sydney, we earn approx the same as that combined we don't have any kids but we save half our pay and live very comfortably off the rest!!

I've been here a while so dunno what comparision wise it is to the UK but it's defo a decent enough wage to live off 4 Oz!

Prices of everything are generally more in Oz but so are most salaries so always bear this in mind so you don't freak out to much at the cash registers!!

My husband and I live in Sydney, we earn approx the same as that combined we don't have any kids but we save half our pay and live very comfortably off the rest!!

I've been here a while so dunno what comparision wise it is to the UK but it's defo a decent enough wage to live off 4 Oz!

Prices of everything are generally more in Oz but so are most salaries so always bear this in mind so you don't freak out to much at the cash registers!!

Great - thanks for all your responses guys. Seems I will be OK, just need to get over the car thing & we should be fine. Thanks again.

thanks, as far as I am aware I should get the full food lafha allowance as I have three kids & put $600 rent per week through - that is what I am told so far, is this good?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You are right, but that is where the 2.2 thing is used as a means of equating the two.

My thoughts though are also the LAFHA is a good deal depending on how much you get. If you can live mostly off the LAFHA and save your salary you would be on easy street.

I think everyone who is emigrating would want to know the true worth of the wage they are emigrating out to, i know i would and this topic wage of $130,000 at the current exchange rate looks like its worth in excess of £85,000 when in reality its only worth about £60,000. I think £25,000 is alot of money to be down and i think a wage like this will be able to get by on it being less, but someone earning $60,000 might think they are earning £40,000 when its actually just £27,000 and that might make a huge difference to people and for some it could mean they end up really struggling. Yes you earn and spend dollars in Australia and pounds no longer factor in your life when you get there, but we all want to know if our wages are enough.

• 2 weeks later...