Hints & Tips for Moving to Perth...4 weeks in!!

Guest Burns Clan

Guest Burns Clan

Okay part 2 .....

The rental we had short term had a pool, and our long term rental has a pool too, I think quite a lot have a pool or if not a spa, they are all generally well fenced in due to legislation etc

After school care - my kids are going to after school care which is in their school it works out at around $20 per child from 2:45 - 6pm and then if you are on a permanent residents visa you get 50% of this back! I will let you know more on this once it kicks in for us as kids have only been there a couple of weeks!!

Car Finance - again will differ for people, we had a permanent residence visa, my hubby had his contract for job with salary included, id required was drivers licence, medicare card and passport etc. we also paid a small deposit!!

In terms of settling in, we are doing great and enjoying the nice spring weather, kids are loving it and have made lots of friends.

Things I wish I had brought with me:

1.extension cables / power board - pain in the arse using travel adaptors all the time especially for xbox, wii and tv etc

2. more of my kitchen utensils

3. all my winter clothes, boots, jackets etc - it does get a bit chilly in the winter mornings/evenings

4. more trainers for the kids - they are really expensive here for a pair of nike etc

5. Towels - the hand towels here are like a large face cloth!!

6. Bed linen - nice sets here are quite expensive and most beds are Queen or King size , not many doubles! Kids character sets ie toy story, ben 10 etc are around $60 !!

7. Nice canvases for the walls etc

I will add more if I remember lol

On the plus side things I really like about Perth;

1. very clean, not much litter or vandalism - in the areas I have seen

2. beaches are lovely

3. all kids sport activities clubs etc really well organised and supported by parents

4. Great to sit outside on your lunch break and enjoy the sunshine and the people watching

5. People in particular the ones we have met are really friendly, welcoming and helpful

6. How they always predict the weather right...to the very time of day it will rain !!

7. how i have to pinch myself everytime i drive over the hill and get a view of the ocean...cant believe I live here!!

Okay thats enough babble from me, any questions pm me or post( although will need to get better at checking this!!)

Cheers

C

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay part 2 .....

The rental we had short term had a pool, and our long term rental has a pool too, I think quite a lot have a pool or if not a spa, they are all generally well fenced in due to legislation etc

After school care - my kids are going to after school care which is in their school it works out at around $20 per child from 2:45 - 6pm and then if you are on a permanent residents visa you get 50% of this back! I will let you know more on this once it kicks in for us as kids have only been there a couple of weeks!!

Car Finance - again will differ for people, we had a permanent residence visa, my hubby had his contract for job with salary included, id required was drivers licence, medicare card and passport etc. we also paid a small deposit!!

In terms of settling in, we are doing great and enjoying the nice spring weather, kids are loving it and have made lots of friends.

1.extension cables / power board - pain in the arse using travel adaptors all the time especially for xbox, wii and tv etc

3. all my winter clothes, boots, jackets etc - it does get a bit chilly in the winter mornings/evenings

4. more trainers for the kids - they are really expensive here for a pair of nike etc

6. Bed linen - nice sets here are quite expensive and most beds are Queen or King size , not many doubles! Kids character sets ie toy story, ben 10 etc are around $60 !!

2. beaches are lovely

3. all kids sport activities clubs etc really well organised and supported by parents

4. Great to sit outside on your lunch break and enjoy the sunshine and the people watching

5. People in particular the ones we have met are really friendly, welcoming and helpful

6. How they always predict the weather right...to the very time of day it will rain !!

7. how i have to pinch myself everytime i drive over the hill and get a view of the ocean...cant believe I live here!!

Okay thats enough babble from me, any questions pm me or post( although will need to get better at checking this!!)

Cheers

C

Love your thread welldone keep up the great work! Moving in 5 weeks an counting.

Supa job thanks so much

Linsey x

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.600573,-1.812907

Guest Crosby Family
Love your thread welldone keep up the great work! Moving in 5 weeks an counting.

Supa job thanks so much

Linsey x

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.600573,-1.812907

Thanks for all you valuable information we are moving in 3 weeks rental in Quinns Rock

Muriel

PS. did you use the vacum bags in the boxes for the container?for duvets etc

we love your posts so much, i print them out to keep for future info when we about to move etc, thanks alot guys

Okay part 2 .....

2. beaches are lovely

Cheers

C

Thanks for all you valuable information we are moving in 3 weeks rental in Quinns Rock

Muriel

PS. did you use the vacum bags in the boxes for the container?for duvets etc

Hi there. Our removal company did. Thou I thought they wld take my clothes out so I'm hoping this will b ok.

Best of luck in three weeks!! We also hav a property for one wk in Quinns Rocks we arrive there on the 28th Oct! Can't wait it looks stunning!

Lots of luck to everyone out there!! Crazy days ahead!!

Linsey

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.600522,-1.812776

Thanks for the all the useful info on this thread, I'm taking lots of notes. Great to hear you are enjoying it so much in Perth!

Hi Linsey, how's it going? Can't believe you fly out so soon! Only seems like yesterday we were stressing over getting our visas! Sounds like you are really organised! :-) x

Hi there. Our removal company did. Thou I thought they wld take my clothes out so I'm hoping this will b ok.

Best of luck in three weeks!! We also hav a property for one wk in Quinns Rocks we arrive there on the 28th Oct! Can't wait it looks stunning!

Lots of luck to everyone out there!! Crazy days ahead!!

Linsey

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.600522,-1.812776

Thanks for the all the useful info on this thread, I'm taking lots of notes. Great to hear you are enjoying it so much in Perth!

Hi Linsey, how's it going? Can't believe you fly out so soon! Only seems like yesterday we were stressing over getting our visas! Sounds like you are really organised! :-) x

Hey you!! Hows it goin. Yeah absolutely bonkers since visa. None stop. Now we hav the worst bit to come. My o/h family here for 2ngts. They have been horrendous. No words t describe how I'm feeling today. They cannot understand why anyone emigrates and find it v selfish. Anyway my family hav been great. V sad but very happy for us!! Bring on the flight can't wait t get outa here!!

We choose pickfords in the end £3100 Inc everything ie insurance etc they were superb! Sent most of our stuff that wld fit. Even 4 bikes! And winter clothes!

Thanks again Sarah! Hope t update if I survive the weekend!

Take care

Linsey xx

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.600568,-1.812680

• 1 month later...
Guest Burns Clan

I can't believe we have been here for nearly 5 months!!!

All I can say is it gets easier and more like home everyday....thank god!!

We have been super busy and getting right into the outdoors lifestyle, although we are clearly amateurs at the whole bbq thing!!

The kids have been doing really well and enjoying school and all the other things there are to do. Footie season has finished but Beach Soccer has started ( no rest for the poor taxi driver!)

Swimming lessons continue and I have to say are brilliant, the teacher is in the pool with them as opposed to the way it was back in UK where the teacher stood outside the pool and barked instructions!! They are all doing really well and my oldest has been moved up to squads.

Surf lifesaving started on Sunday, we signed them all up for it and it wasnt cheap, came to around $500 dollars for all of them but when you work it out over the weeks it is on ( oct - Mar) then that's pretty good value. We did have some doubts given the shark situation at the minute but decided that the odds were more likely they could get hit by a bus, and we really want them to learn how to be safe in the ocean!! They had to pass a swim test at the pool before being allowed to take part. It was a grt morning down at the beach and a sausage sizzle afterwards.

Tennis lessons start before school tomorrow and run for 8 weeks, so that will be an early rise for us all!!

The weather has been pretty nice with a couple of days above 30 which for scottish people like us that is practically scorching lol.

I am slowly figuring out were the best places are to shop etc and I am pleased to report that the clothes situation is definitely not as bad as first thought....although still quite expensive!.

Need to head to beach soccer ....will update later

Guest irishchicko
Thanks so much for your reply, I think we are going to go ahead with the rental as other quotes were in the region of 900 dollars plus which is to expensive for short term. Im glad to hear you are setteling into oz life and that you now have your own place. Your posts are of great help to thoes of us moving to Perth, We are both nervous and excited and our Son is soooooo excited , cant yet belive we are leaving in 8wks ,we have so much to do ,im lost as to were to start.

Thanks again,

Best Wishes

Muriel

Hi Murial,

Just came across your post and waas wondering have u landed in Perth yet and if so how are u finding it?

Any tips - due to land on 19th dec

Cheers

Hi Burnsclan , have been reading your posts they are really really great, we are a family of 5 from dunfermline , fife and moving top perth next year , 1 question i cant find an answer on is what year my son would go into at school, he is 13 at the moment and in 2nd year which finishes in june , we will be moving in sept/oct 1011 also can you reccommend any high schools.

the areas we would be looking to live in would be either clarkson,Butler,ocean reef etc (any you think that are better than other)

Hope you dont mind me mailing and picking your brains but great to have someone from scotland to help with information.

look forward to hearing from you soon

Tara

Hi

I thought I would share our experiences from our first 4 weeks in Perth, some of it may be useful and some not but these are things that we have encountered since we arrived.

My husband and our 3 children 11,8 & 5 arrived on the 30th of May, we had arranged a few things before arriving so I will try and break it down into the "what we done" and "what we wished we had done".

Before arrival:

• We booked a 6 week furnished rental, to give us time to find a more permanent rental. - This worked out well and we are due to move into our new unfurnished rental in a week.

• Shipped some boxes of stuff over although not our furniture - wish I had brought more stuff with us as we have had to go and buy beds, tables, sofa's the lot, having said that prices for stuff like that seems quite reasonable and there are end of season sales on at this time of year so bargains to be had.

• Job - my husband had a job offer before we left the UK, however we did not get any relocation etc as most companies are nervous about doing this as they have been burnt before so they will look to tie you in for a couple of years if they do give a relocation package.

After Arriving:

• We hired a car for first 2 weeks - this was fine and cost us around $30 a day so not too bad - We have since bought a car on finance rather than outright to ensure we have a credit rating in Oz, no issues with this as long as you can prove your job, visa and bank details etc

• We are living in Quinns for first 6 weeks which is nice but a good 10 min drive to the train station and school in Clarkson - so new rental is in Clarkson for a lesser commute.

• We got the kids enrolled in a Private Catholic School - which works out at around $3000 pa for all 3 - what we didnt account for was the cost and strictness of the school uniforms with just the winter uniforms costing $400+. We then had to buy all their books including jotters and stationary which then came to roughly $100 per child!! Biggest hurdle was getting the kids to wear the black school shoes lol

General observations:

• Its harder to get a contract mobile than it is to buy a car!!

• Make sure your first rental has broadband or you will like us have to use a mobile dongle- hopeless !! and you need the internet to research houses etc!

• Be prepared for the cost of things - it is expensive compared with the UK for most things eg bananas x 4 $10!,! chocolate bars - $3, beer x24 bottles $50, on the other hand a bottle of Jacobs creek rose $7, steaks/butcher meat etc are quite cheap.

• Supermarkets - they stock a lot of brands that you recognise but they dont open late especially at the weekends with most closing at 4 - 5pm

• Train service and Bus service - are very good with regular trains and spotlessly clean - takes about 30 mins to get into the CBD from Clarkson ( last station on the Joondalup line)

• Weather is lovely during the day just now at around 22 degrees, however gets very chilly at night and the houses are designed to be cool so can be a bit cold!

• Bring all your clothes, shoes, boots etc with you, as not a great selection here and for up to date styles can be a bit expensive!

• High school - they all do it differntly and you need to enrol well in advance of the kids leaving primary.

• Lots of great things to do and places to go with the kids, parks, zoo etc

• Drivers Licence & Medicare - very easy to do, just need to go in and fill out forms with some ID, passport, visa etc and you get a temp card/ licence and then a week or so later your permanent one arrives in the post.

Nice Areas (in my opinion):

To be fair most areas we have looked at are lovely and have lots of positives, however we are trying to be handy for a train station and the school and the beach!!

Mindarie - north, close to marina

Clarkson - north, good transport, 10 min drive from beach

Butler - north

Quinns Rock - north, near beach

Kinross - north

Jindalee - north, near beach

Mullaloo - near beach

Ocean Reef- near beach

Sorrento - near beach

Subiaco - near CBD

All are lovely and we will be hard pushed to decide where we will buy/build! and of course the closer to the CBD or the beach the more expensive the house!!

I hope this helps someone out there and if i think of anything else i will add it, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask on here or pm me.

Cheers

PS apologies if this is boring and or useless!!:biggrin:

Absolutely great post, loads of info which will be very helpful to a lot of us, have written down some of your points especially about internet in rental and buying a car for credit rating. :smile:

Guest Burns Clan

It is tough deciding where to live and to be honest we are still not sure on where we want to buy!! We are in Somerly, CLarkson which is nice and its handy for the train etc, Butler is nice too , we would probably prefer to move a wee bit further down towards Mullaloo, Sorrento, Ocean Reef and to be on the ocean side of Marmion ave. The prices are higher on that side but really nice areas, also love Mindarie which again can be expensive. Probably best to come and get a feel for the place before deciding, but good to have a rough idea of a starting point area!! Sorry this is a tough one and everyone is different and will look for different things from areas, we looked for close to train station, good schools and family type area. You will get more house for your money in Clarkson versus Mindarie and you are still only a 5 minute drive from the beach!!

Hi burns clan

Thanks for all the helpful tips, we will be moving in early jan and I have registered an interest at Irene McCormack catholic college as this is the nearest to my sister who lives in clarkson, may I ask where your kids go and how they get to school as this school is in butler so trying to live half way as husband will need train and my youngest will hopefully go st. Andrews with my nieces.

Guest Burns Clan

My kids all go to St Andrews at the minute, which is walking distance, my eldest is due to start Irene McCormack in Feb next year, he will get the bus up to school, it will probably only take 5-10 mins maximum, most of the kids get the bus or train to school as its pretty safe. Could probably cycle there too!!

Thanks for your reply, it's good to hear that your son will also be starting, as my son only had one request ,he was very keen to start school at the beginning of term and I have been keen to assure him that there would be other british kids starting as well.Also the hearing that there is a bus is also helpful as it is so hard to get an idea of distance when you are looking on google earth !!!did where you live fall within the distance criteria ,the school are in contact with me but we will have to interview when we get there.

Thanks again:biggrin: