Changing Visa Holder and Defacto on 457 Visa

Guest Sparkyy

Guest Sparkyy

Hi Guys

First poster here, with a real love for Australia and a real problem with my job.

We moved over here towards the end of last year and since then I have not been loving my job and want to quit. I am on a sponsored 457 visa with my partner as my defacto. But I am wanting to quit my job and have my partner take over the sponsorship through his job, which should be possible, and me become the defacto. Is it as simple as this or do we have to start from the beginning again? Any help with this would be gratefully received.

thanks.

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz Sparkyy,

Sorry to hear about your job.

Personally I would employ the services of a Mara registered agent to ensure I am going down the right path.

I hope it works out well for you.

Best wishes

Susie x

I'm not an agent and nor am I an expert, but I do know that you can't transfer a 457 from one employee to a different employee.

If your partner wants to become a 457 holder, he will have to go through the whole visa process from scratch. If the job is with the same employer or a different employer who is already an approved sponsor, the sponsorship approval would still be valid if it was approved within the last 3 years, but a new nomination would be required and a new visa application.

There could also be further complications that I'm not aware of. You should consult a good RMA for advice.

Hi Guys

First poster here, with a real love for Australia and a real problem with my job.

We moved over here towards the end of last year and since then I have not been loving my job and want to quit. I am on a sponsored 457 visa with my partner as my defacto. But I am wanting to quit my job and have my partner take over the sponsorship through his job, which should be possible, and me become the defacto. Is it as simple as this or do we have to start from the beginning again? Any help with this would be gratefully received.

thanks.

No it isn't as simple as that. If your OH is to become main applicant then he has to go through the process from the beginning.