cheap calls to UK - who do you use?

Guest Clare&Jon

Guest Clare&Jon

OK, so we've been here almost 2 years now and need to sort out cheap calls back to the UK. We skype one set of parents which works great but the other parents are not quite so 21st century and have a REALLY annoying habit of phoning us every Sunday evening just as we are trying to get the kids to bed :arghh:

So, we're looking for recommendations companies that do cheap calls to the UK so we can call them at a time that suits us. Help to save our sanity!! :goofy:

Guest Louey

We bought a Skype subscription too it's $4.47 thats for 3 months and you get 60 mins per month to UK landlines. Makes it easier when peeps aren't good with technology

We bought a Skype subscription too it's $4.47 thats for 3 months and you get 60 mins per month to UK landlines. Makes it easier when peeps aren't good with technology

Rebtel 1c per minute, and you set up a number for your parents, and use your home phone to call. They give you 20US dollars if you introduce a friend. I am still not paying for calls.

http://www.rebtel.com/en/

We get all international calls included in our internet package with Vivid wireless :)

and we use skype as well, which is also very cheap but depending on the net speed each end, abit patchy at times

Guest McDonaldWong

Have you also tried using skupes landline rates?

Ideal for those parents who are not with computers??? or need a quick call before hand to logon:-)

Computers these days include microphone and web camera so really no excuse for people not to be on skype.

Guest GeorgeD

I got my Dad to buy a Pay As You Go Three mobile in the UK...one top up means he can have unlimited Skype calls without ever having to top up again. If your folks can use a mobile in the UK, then you can call them on that rather than a PC...also means they don't need to be at home when you speak to them.

We only have an Optus land line...we pay $5 per month for the International Call Saver and get 2c per minute to the UK with $5 of credit towards calls.

Guest Dave53

We use an Ozcall phonecard . You can buy them at newsagents or online via the cardcall website . There is a 79c flagfall , but calls are charged at only half a cent / min to the UK , so say a 30min call would cost you 94c .. Pretty good I reckon ..

Dave C

Guest Louey

Hey Mike

There isn't a limit on Skype if you are calling other Skype users e.g. to their computer or a Skype enabled mobile phone. Our subscription was to call landlines in the UK. We joined because we needed to contact UK banks and insurance companies regarding policies and accounts and didn't want to ring from a mobile. The Skype subscription is purely optional and not needed if phoning Skype to Skype. Hope that clears it up?

• 3 months later...

I've found that Rebtel is the best. You don't need a 3G signal/PC (other than to register on the website) and it doesn't need to be a smart phone. It was costing me 10p a min to call a mobile in Oz from the UK where there wasn't a 3G signal, but Rebtel have a callback feature, where I ring my missus, she answers, hangs up then calls a number she has been given and then we are just using our inclusive minutes on our phone contracts. It costs about 10p connection fee, but the call can be as long as you want. We tend to be on the phone several times a day to each other, each time for approx an hour and, since Feb has cost me about £21! The call quality is better than Skype and Tango, which we tried too!

Also, if both have iPhones, Blackberry's or Android phones, a good app to get is LiveProfile where you can text and send pix for free! The app itself is free too!

I've found that Rebtel is the best. You don't need a 3G signal/PC (other than to register on the website) and it doesn't need to be a smart phone. It was costing me 10p a min to call a mobile in Oz from the UK where there wasn't a 3G signal, but Rebtel have a callback feature, where I ring my missus, she answers, hangs up then calls a number she has been given and then we are just using our inclusive minutes on our phone contracts. It costs about 10p connection fee, but the call can be as long as you want. We tend to be on the phone several times a day to each other, each time for approx an hour and, since Feb has cost me about £21! The call quality is better than Skype and Tango, which we tried too!

Also, if both have iPhones, Blackberry's or Android phones, a good app to get is LiveProfile where you can text and send pix for free! The app itself is free too!

I fully agree Rebetel is the best by far.

Guest nikkidel

We have a Vonage phone with a UK number that comes with us wherever we travel. You plug it in to your internet and pay the cost of a UK local call.

Anyone know, i will be in Oz, i need to call a UK mobile, whats best for me. I have tried Skype while here in the UK, i have it installed on my PC, the OH on her smart phone, but the quality is terrible, but i am on a donle and will be on a dongle in Oz. Pennytel looks not too bad?

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/voice-plans/go-global

0.38 cents a minute Oz to UK.........mobile to mobile

When it comes to poor 3G signals, I cannot recommend Rebtel enough. http://www.rebtel.com/?gclid=COjdu9vki6wCFUsZ4QodwW9AmQ

For a call that can last several hours from mobile to mobile and it only to cost about 10p, I don't think that you can go wrong. Just when you sign up, make sure that you find out about the callback feature, that's when the call ends up being free other than the 10p connection fee, otherwise it's 10p a minute.

Thoughts..........

Pennytel....get a PennySim, insert it into an unlocked mobile phone in Australia, you can call a UK landlined untimed for 46 cents from your PennySim mobile in Australia, so stay on the line as long as you want, no other costs. Obtain a Rabtel account, designate a UK land line number through your Rabtel account to the UK mobile you intend to call. Rabtel will charge you around 16 Oz cents a minute. So all in all for say a ten minute call, Oz mobile to UK mobile = 46 cents (Pennytel charge) plus 160 cents (Rabtel charge) = $2.06cents Thats about the best i can find?

With the Rebtel, I'm calling my fiance in Oz. She has no landline, just a mobile, as I live in barracks in England, I only have a mobile too. With Rebtel, I get a UK landline number to call her. She gets a South Australia number to call me, so other than the 10p (15c) connection fee, it comes out of our inclusive minutes on our phone plans! The call quality is brilliant too! As I've said before, since Feb, I've spent about £28 on Rebtel. And I'm not exaggerating when I say we are on the phone about 3-4 hours a day. I can't complain about the pricing then! The only reason that it is as high as £28 is because every now and then, we'd forget about hanging up and dialing back, so it would cost 10p a minute, instead of 10p connection fee and the rest of the call being free.

Not sure if I've explained that without it sounding too complicated! However, it really isn't as complicated as it sounds! So, a 10 minute call tends to cost us 10p, and a 1 hour call, still only costs us 10p!

Guest TipsyKoala

I've got a 'walkabout' card from the 7/11. It cost $10 and gave me 500 minutes calling from my mobile. I'm going to try it to my sister's UK mobile as she doesn't have a landline. I've used it already and it seems great.

x

Oz Call card. $10. Call from your home phone. As has been posted before, 1,000 minutes or like for $10. Thats about 16 hours. Any newsagents. It has a running emu on it or you get a till print out. When you have the account number you can call from any phone anywhere. not tied to computer like Skype.