and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nickynoonoo

Its all about timing?

Guest Nickynoonoo

Guys, Hubby and I are giving ourselves a headache trying to work out timings for when go to Perth.

As soon as our visa is awarded we will put the house on the market. After this is when we get lost in timings! I gather you don't book flights, shipping and hand your notice in until contracts have been exchanged???? From my experience people like to complete as soon as possible after this date. The next issue we have is that Hubby has a 3 month notice period! Now you can hopefully see why we are getting a headache trying to work it all out!!:goofy:

So when does he hand his notice in? When do we ship the house contents? Do we have to pay out and rent somewhere for three months? Do we stay with the in laws for a couple of months and hope I don't kill them after day one??!!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated PIO folk!

Nicky

Well of course there is no right answer to these questions but my thoughts are...

If your move is absolutely dependent upon selling the house then probably not a good idea to book flights or hand in notice until the house is sold (exchanged contracts).

You might be able to string completion out for a month or so and then spend another month or two with in-laws if that is a possibility whilst OH works out notice period. Your container would take 2 -3 months to get to Australia, so get it packed up for completion day and then either store here for a couple of weeks or you might need storage at the other end for a week or two.

If you are going regardless of house sale then pick your date!