which suburb to choose?

Guest Keocat

Guest Keocat

My husband has just been offered an amazing opportunity in Oz so we are moving to Sydney at the beginning of Oct. I was last in Sydney 10 years ago, so have no idea of the best areas to live to ensure a good education for the kids (aged 3 and 5) - any advice is welcome. We need to be fairly close to the city centre within a 30 min commute if poss. Areas I know and like are Balmain, Paddington, Surry Hills, Glebe, Bronte, Bondi - does anyone have recommendations for primary schools within these areas? I'm also looking for an area with a community feel - do any of these tick the box? We have temporary accom on arrival but I'll need to be making enquiries before I head out to ensure the mnimum gap in my 5 year old's education so help is appreciated to whittle down a short list.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Keocat

Welcome to PIO, sorry I can't help with Sydney but have you looked at the My Schools website?

Kate

Have no idea about the suburbs that you are looking at, but take a look at www.myschool.edu.au which will give you a starting poing with respect to schools.

In NSW, the cut off dates for the school year is 31st July, and this will determine which school year your eldest will go in to. For example, my eldest just turned five in April, so she could start kindy this year, or she could start in Jan 2012 (you can hold them back providing they start by their sixth birthday).

If you are coming on a 457 you will need to budget for school fees in NSW.

Also bear in mind that we have the big summer holidays in December/January, so there may even be a case for keeping your child out of school until they start back at the end of Jan. Might give you some time to get used to the big upheaval before school starts.

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

Although I don't know them that well, I'd say Paddington, Surry Hills and Glebe have more of an inner city vibe so perhaps less of a community feel, much closer to the CBD but possibly a little busy with kids (unless that's what you like). Bronte and Bondi are popular with families, I believe both public schools have good reputations, North Bondi is a beautiful (expensive) area for property. Clovelly is another family friendly suburb in the east, the beach is very kid friendly. We also love Coogee and Maroubra.

Getting a place in the best public schools is competitive so you have to make sure you live in the catchment area. When we arrived a few years ago we wanted our son to go to South Coogee public (great school) but couldn't find a rental property 'in the zone'. We ended up living in a different suburb and then ended up selecting the Catholic education system (which is excellent here), even though we're Church of England.

I'd say keep an open mind until you get here but draw up a short list of suburbs to check out straight away. You'll probably be spoilt for choice wth areas you love and it will come down to price and property availability.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

All the suburbs you list you like we all liked as young, single people too and lived there. But, Ive noticed since settling down and having kids my friends all seem to have moved to either Lane Cove (most) or upper north shore. So I trust the herd and am north shore bound too. I think generally, good area = good primary..generally speaking

None of the areas you listed will offer you much garden, unless you have some money to spend!