Anyone worried about Aussies being anti-immigration?

Guest MontyClaude

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest McDonaldWong

Definite "skills shortage"

Examples:

Taxi drivers

Politicians

Real Estate Agents

Journalists

And there is a serious side to this. While people may occupy posiitons this does not necessarily translate to the position being filled.

Its a Global Market so my view is those preoccupied with migration claims are already being left behind.

Hi,

Well Im irish, and when I worked in Perth, the majority were very welcoming.

I only ever had one experience, of a ozzie who said us backpackers where over taking jobs from young ozzies.

My response was, well I am willing to work, they arent!!!

Backpackers spend all that they earn in oz, plus several thousand and contribute to ozzie tourism!!!!

When we were leaving, my ozzie landlord wanted to give me a ref to help me stay!!! Couldnt understand how we couldnt get a perm visa when all sorts where getting them (he was implying non speaking english unskilled).

So no I wouldnt worry, I was very well liked!!!! but maybe that was my good looks!!! ha ha.

Cheers Cazmayo

I've just had one person comment in the 5 months that we have been here, and that was to say that I had "stolen" a nursing job from their new grads, my response was, "oh ok, would you rather a new grad looked after you, or a nurse with 10 years experience?", they shut up after that. Otherwise I've had absolutely no problems!

I reckon that is a bit of a harsh thing for them to say to you. Besides you are not stealing a new grads job cos they allocate so many anyway. I have had a few comments and it kinda does my head in a wee bit cos it seems to be so easy for them to forget that the British contributed such a lot to this country. And anyway, we pay taxes and still contribute a lot to this country. It's not like we can just jump off a plane and start sponging off them.

I absolutey think there is a skills shortage (including some of the people who are supposed to be skilled).

I work at a large IT company in Brisbane and I never saw any problems. There are employees from Asia, India, Europe and obviously Ozzies and we all have great respect for each other and work very well together.

I've noticed that the company looks for people with (apart from the obvious of good skills) great attitude, honesty, respect and determination to complete the job. If one has these right, then I don't see any problems.

The company has been struggling to find people with good skills and attitude....there is definitely a big shortage, in our case BA's and SharePoint/.Net Web Developers. In fact, they are so desperate that now they are planning to offshore the projects, not because it will work out cheaper, but just because they cannot find enough of the right people.

Well, this is from what I am experiencing at the company I work with. Its IT, so I cannot say its the same for others cause I would not know.

Cheers

B!K3R

im sure most of the resentment comes from the ignorant, less educated narrow minded people, just like here!! they have no idea and because the immigrants are taking the jobs they feel they are entitled to, even though they don't actually want them, they get the hump with them! my town is over run with eastern europeans every summer for the berry picking, they can be annoying, since they cant speak english, and can be trouble sometimes, but i wouldnt tell them to go home!

Guest SunshineSmile
On the OP tho,i think there'l be more "banter" directed towards the english rather than scots and irish tbh,just the impression i got in the short time i was over there,wonder if this is rite or not?any irish or scots opinions on this?

First few days here in Sydney we were in a bar in Kings Cross, enjoying a celebratory drink when this drunken a**hole staggers over and says "I want you to take your passports and your visas and f*ck off out of my country"

Nice. OH gets up off the stool (because he was attempting to "paw" me) and at that point barman comes over and clears him out. He was a well dressed young man in a suit and obviously staright in the bar since work earlier that day.

People at work say "you talk funny, but its nice, keep talking" :biglaugh: so I do. Im a nurse so some have suggested I have taken a new grads job, to which I have asked if a new grad has my level of experience.. Silence.

Others say, "oh your Irish thats ok" then I point out Im actually Pom with a bit of a mixed background and accent to go with it. They say "But you speak Irish, so you will do ok here" :goofy:

OH had a row with a guy he works with (tradies) who accused him of coming in and taking a job. OH stood his corner and said he was willing to actually work for his wages (lots of lazy guys on site) they all respect him for it now.

A good bit of animosity towards Asians, but Im not going to voice my opinions on that.

So, I think we seem to be fairing out well because they love our accents :yes:

But all in all, yes there is resentment out there unfortunetly.

Lately we were asked.... "Its not easy to get a visa out here is it mate, so how did you get in, if not by boat" :wideeyed:

Steph x

Guest siamsusie
First few days here in Sydney we were in a bar in Kings Cross, enjoying a celebratory drink when this drunken a**hole staggers over and says "I want you to take your passports and your visas and f*ck off out of my country"

Nice. OH gets up off the stool (because he was attempting to "paw" me) and at that point barman comes over and clears him out. He was a well dressed young man in a suit and obviously staright in the bar since work earlier that day.

People at work say "you talk funny, but its nice, keep talking" :biglaugh: so I do. Im a nurse so some have suggested I have taken a new grads job, to which I have asked if a new grad has my level of experience.. Silence.

Others say, "oh your Irish thats ok" then I point out Im actually Pom with a bit of a mixed background and accent to go with it. They say "But you speak Irish, so you will do ok here" :goofy:

OH had a row with a guy he works with (tradies) who accused him of coming in and taking a job. OH stood his corner and said he was willing to actually work for his wages (lots of lazy guys on site) they all respect him for it now.

A good bit of animosity towards Asians, but Im not going to voice my opinions on that.

Lately we were asked.... "Its not easy to get a visa out here is it mate, so how did you get in, if not by boat" :wideeyed:

Steph x

Interesting Steph!.

One of my sons who is Korean has described racism in Sydney which has saddened me but here in Tasmania, he has been well received on the whole.

Our hospital in Launceston is staffed by a large majority of Asians and in general they are popular except when there is a language problem and this I can understand.

The Sudanese population here in the north have not been well received for a variety of reasons but the Black Hmongs from Lao have.

Maybe being married to a Tasmanian buffers me slightly, but my husband would be the first to come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who expressed racism in his company.

Susie x

We've not had any problems really. I did have someone call me a ''Pommy b***h'', but I don't think it was racially motivated, just a word to use (if that makes sense). Hubby has never had anything said at work. His accent is occasionally mentioned by his patients, but they have been interested, asking about whether he brought a family with him and so on.

As far as I am concerned, we were chosen by the Australian government to be here from our application, and have been demonstrated to be of use to Australia. If anyone doesn't like it, tough.

Guest gemfromoz

Well this is an interesting topic.

As an oz, im ashamed that some of you have had negative experiences. Growing up, i was clueless about where people were from, until i moved to sydney in my 20s and was thrown into multiculturalism and met chinese, lebanese, asian and lots of other nationalities.

I wouldnt say that aussies are racist at their core, there are bad apples in all populations though and i wouldnt pay any attention to it. That sais, people in both countries hate talking to indian call centres because of the language barrier, i think thats where alot of it comes from.

On the flipside, when i first moved to the uk, i was asked in an interview if i was going to get pregnant and go on maternity leave,w as i said no they assumed i would leave to go home hence was not a good fit for the job. I also am subject to aussie taunts at my work place, insinuating i am rough round the edges, not fit for meeting clients, etc.

The moral of the story is, it happens! People judge! It doesnt matter if its about your accent or weight or looks, people will always have an opinion. Grow some thick skin and enjoy your life, cause thats your responsibility.

Hey pablo i cant find your post anymore! We havent found a sponsor but to be honest we've stopped looking at the moment. We're not sure wether its wise to look for one before we've actually got enough savings for us to move, dont want to be wasting any employers time. We're thinking of going to a expo in leeds in july, i saw a advertisement for digger drivers on the website. Although ive saw a few comments on here saying theyre a waste of time:eek:

Hey pablo i cant find your post anymore! We havent found a sponsor but to be honest we've stopped looking at the moment. We're not sure wether its wise to look for one before we've actually got enough savings for us to move, dont want to be wasting any employers time. We're thinking of going to a expo in leeds in july, i saw a advertisement for digger drivers on the website. Although ive saw a few comments on here saying theyre a waste of time:eek:

Took it off incase you thought i was having a pop at scots stacey:wubclub:,that wasnt the case btw,most of them were english.

Ive just been looking at excavator courses in South Australia,$2100,fair do's,but like most jobs they want experience and how do you get it if nobody will take you on?:rolleyes:back on the trowel?:cry::laugh:,nah im still gonna look into it tho.

"Some" sayy there a waste of time Stacey,but if you just happen to touch lucky its worth it for the sake of a few bob eh mrs?ive seen plenty of jobs advertised in SA anyway:wink:

Steph x

Dont think they will think our accents "nice" steph:laugh:,irish accents like a nice lilt,ours sounds harsh tbh:sad:

[YOUTUBE]XSD9XF6S5BE[/YOUTUBE]

Dont be silly lol they just sounded morons!! Yeah i know what you mean, its a vicious circle! At least youve got ur brickie job to get you into australia and then you can make a plan if you want to change career. Its a long way to the expo, 4 hour drive, not sure if its worth it but the bf doesnt seem to mind driving it and i suppose its a wee day out for us lol! :biggrin:

Dont be silly lol they just sounded morons!! Yeah i know what you mean, its a vicious circle! At least youve got ur brickie job to get you into australia and then you can make a plan if you want to change career. Its a long way to the expo, 4 hour drive, not sure if its worth it but the bf doesnt seem to mind driving it and i suppose its a wee day out for us lol! :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for yer anyway:wink:

Its a long drive ( 4 hours ) so not sure if its worth it but if we dont go we'll probably moan lol. It said theres going to be employer looking for digger drivers, i wont be happy if there isnt any there!! At least its a wee day out tho lol :biggrin:

Tell him i said to leave his wallet at home:biggrin::wink:

Yeah, I have heard plenty of mention of being a POM, which is not a nice word to use in the first place,

just remind them it was us who brought them cricket and rugby,

and anyway their ancestors are the POMs ( Prisoners of Her Majesty )

our ancestors are still in the U.K.

their ancestors are the ones who invaded the Country and bashed the indigenous population ( aboriginals )...!!!

and a British company built the Sydney Harbour bridge and the ozzies couldn't pay for it until 1983...!!!

but most here are perfectly nice too...!!!

There is definitely a skills shortage in WA and it's going to get worse. A lot of the recently approved big projects are only just starting up.

I was talking to a geologist on Saturday who said that he is working on a new mine that has a 500 man capacity camp but is nowhere near at full production yet.

He also commented on how many NZ and Queenslanders were taking jobs. He found that a lot of people from Perth don't want the fly in fly out positions on offer, even at good salaries.

My son's company have some work on the Gorgon project and ran it by the electricians who work there already, to give them first call on it. He said not that many were interested in the 3 on one off. A few said they would ask the missus. He's single, 21 and said he's not bothered about going. He earns pretty good money in and around Perth and loves his weekends. When he told us he would earn around $4,000 a week net we thought he was mad and said we would definitely be doing it if we were in his shoes.

I know in other major cities this is not the case. We have a friends daughter who has just returned from the Gold Coast as she was finding it difficult to get work. After the floods a lot of tourists aren't going there as much. The Aussie dollar is strong too so a lot are going abroad where they might have holidayed at home.

Touristy areas and those not affected by the mining boom are struggling so the skills shortage is not country wide but very localised.

I think people who respond to articles in papers are usually negative and the ones who are happy with the situation can't be bothered to comment.

Never had a problem personally with being an immigrant. In fact had a couple of aussies say new immigrants from the UK are generally good to get as they are motivated, usually well trained (otherwise they wouldn't have been able to emigrate) and hard workers.

Hi all,

I'm reading an article online in the age at the moment "immigration numbers plummet by half".

Anyway, the article is taking about immigration being down, the skills shortage etc....it's the comments section at the bottom that worries me.

Most people that have commented say there isn't a skills shortage and are in favour of immigration being cut, that they don't want the country growing anymore, lack of space, resources and immigrants taking jobs that should be for their children.

Have any of you in Oz experienced negativity at being an immigrant or is it something you worry about?

We were there from 2004 to 2006 and we got the backpacker tag in Sydney so left and went to Melbourne, but that was it. I know things have changed since then, but do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Also, do you think there is geniune skills shortage?[/QUOTE]

I read in the Financial Review this morning that the Mining and LNG Gas sector will have a shortage of 130,000 workers!! with those sort of figures and the associated trades that support this should see Australia having to issue 4 year visas as if they were throwing confetti!

As for the Aussies being resentful, well not really, it's all part of the fear of more people coming in. have a look at the little old UK, it's been taking in people since before the Vikings! what about all the people that came in from the Caribean and India Pakistan etc? they have now been relagated to second place as they are now worried about all the ex-Soviet Bloc imigrants!

Baring putting up barb wire and machine gun posts events like these will always happen and as long as your comfortable in your own space, don't worry be happy (as the song goes).:hug:

Guest MontyClaude
Soz monty,keep going offtopic,its not about retraining this thread,apologies,im bad for it me:embarrassed::wubclub:

Ha Ha Pablo, you are priceless :wink: