Anyone worried about Aussies being anti-immigration?

Guest MontyClaude

Guest MontyClaude

Hi all,

I'm reading an article online in the age at the moment "immigration numbers plummet by half".

Anyway, the article is taking about immigration being down, the skills shortage etc....it's the comments section at the bottom that worries me.

Most people that have commented say there isn't a skills shortage and are in favour of immigration being cut, that they don't want the country growing anymore, lack of space, resources and immigrants taking jobs that should be for their children.

Have any of you in Oz experienced negativity at being an immigrant or is it something you worry about?

We were there from 2004 to 2006 and we got the backpacker tag in Sydney so left and went to Melbourne, but that was it. I know things have changed since then, but do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Also, do you think there is geniune skills shortage?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Monty dont worry a bean tbh,ive worked all over the uk and had allkinds of sarcastic "banter" about scousers and thieving and criminals etc etc:SLEEP:,so i dont give a toss,skins thick enuf to deal with it mate,they just get it back x 10 is all.

I once worked on a job in the midlands with about 10 lads from all over the uk,and to try and get shut of me they blanked me for 6 months,NOT easy when theres just you and one of them 10 storeys up in a 20ft long cradle:laugh:

I had dead rats put in me coat,was shot in the head with an air pistol by somebody on the roof when i was working on the 5th floor!:laugh:,had a room to meself coz nobody wanted to room with me in the digs,etc etc etc mate,loads of stuff happened but nobody ever fronted me about anything,like a gang of arl tarts they were!

Anyway i wouldnt leave because im stubborn i suppose(so she says),in the end i found out it was all because of where im from,they were all working on a block of flats in my neck of the woods,Huyton,Lpool,and they chose THE worst alehouse to go in and start shouting their mouths off,anyway they all got a bad hiding,nothing to do with me,i steered clear of the Bluebell pub mostly.

When i arrived on the job in the midlands one of them asked me where i was from,after i said Huyton that was it!condemned man thru no fault of me own,madness!just because i was from the area they got walloped in:goofy:,i fronted them up about what was going on after about 6 months in their room,and they admitted that was what it was about,after that it was okayISH.

So ive no doubt there WILL be resentment from some in OZ,but everybody i met in the short time i was there were superb,thats all i can say,and like i say...it will take more than a bit of resentment to put me off/worry me mate

Most people that have commented say there isn't a skills shortage and are in favour of immigration being cut, that they don't want the country growing anymore, lack of space, resources and immigrants taking jobs that should be for their children.

Most of the ones commenting probably have no idea what is on the skills required list so are just general wingers.

You will find that Australians can be a bit against the asian/indian migrants, (it often makes me wonder how some of them got throught the IELTS test as well sometimes :wacko:) but Europeans are in most cases welcomed without any problems.

Guest guest36187

Never experienced that to be honest. The term pom gets banded around a lot and u just laugh with that. I know that once I became an Australian everyone said I thought you already were!!!!

I've just had one person comment in the 5 months that we have been here, and that was to say that I had "stolen" a nursing job from their new grads, my response was, "oh ok, would you rather a new grad looked after you, or a nurse with 10 years experience?", they shut up after that. Otherwise I've had absolutely no problems!

I have found 95% of the people i have met here are friendly towards us. Yes you get banter, hubbys is now known in and around where he works as 'Pommy',, you laugh about it , give em a bit of stick back and they are fine. If you get all upatity about it ,then they will give it twicefold!

I have only met a couple of aussies and one company in the time we have been here, who were very racist towards us. The company actually didnt realise our answer phone had recorded them slagging us off, they must have forgot to replace their handset when we didnt answer,lol,!!! I rang and let them know in no uncertain terms how i felt about them ,i bet they're still wondering now, how we knew!!

In any country you get the racist ones,, so to us its no different to anywere else. Possibly the opposite as i find people general more friendly and helpful than any country i have ever vistied or lived in.

Cal x

Guest siamsusie

My husband works with a few Poms, I only see great banter between them all! They give as good as it gets which is healthy.

If you are down to earth without hot potatoes in your mouth, hopefully.

Depending on who you work for, any nonsense is encouraged to be stamped out pretty quickly.

I work with all Australians , and have found everyone to be supportive!

Many parts of SE Asia are far more xenophobic to other nationalities in my experience.

Susie

I think the only ones which cop it are the females who wear hi-jabs. I've seen that happen in Queensland but not down here in Melbourne.

I felt no anymosity at all in SA,but we did have a fair few nites out with ordinary working class lads and women in the pub in Adelaide,the only "off" comments i heard were towards asians and muslims,not everyone was saying things,but IF there was a few comments it was directed at minority groups,but im sure it would be the same here,worse in fact if anything,like i say,we found them all very welcoming and just curious about our story,why we were moving there etc,most of them didnt think we were english anyway:laugh:

Guest guest37336
I felt no anymosity at all in SA,but we did have a fair few nites out with ordinary working class lads and women in the pub in Adelaide,the only "off" comments i heard were towards asians and muslims,not everyone was saying things,but IF there was a few comments it was directed at minority groups,but im sure it would be the same here,worse in fact if anything,like i say,we found them all very welcoming and just curious about our story,why we were moving there etc,most of them didnt think we were english anyway:laugh:

Bit like over here mate according to the mass media about 'Scousers'.:no:

[/size][/color][/b]

Bit like over here mate according to the mass media about 'Scousers'.:no:

:laugh:Yeah mate,were a funny old lot up here,"some" dont really look at us english(someone said that to me on here lol) and theres a growing republican movement up here,what came 1st,the chicken or the egg?:radar::wideeyed:,devolution for lpool?:laugh:

To be fair the press arent anywhere near as bad as they were,but long memories up here mate!

[YOUTUBE]-r_i1_kAyVQ[/YOUTUBE]

Guest guest37336

I see your mate Kelvin MacKenzie very often on the TV mate,:mad::mad:.

I'm not to sure if people actually know what he said about the Hillsborough disaster mate, if not I would recommend they have a look at what he wrote, the man would be second up against the wall in my opinion.

I am surprised (honestly) how he has not been lynched for what he said, along with Piers Morgan on more recent issues.

Cheers Tony.

On the OP tho,i think there'l be more "banter" directed towards the english rather than scots and irish tbh,just the impression i got in the short time i was over there,wonder if this is rite or not?any irish or scots opinions on this?

Guest guest37336

Yep, you're right Pablo, back on OP,:wubclub:.

I only ever met complete and utter disdain for me from one fella who worked on a different verge crew to me, Pommy this, Pommy that, REAL foul language.

One day one of the fellas I worked with (Aussie) asked the muppet if he KNEW what Pommy meant, it was met with a dumb founded look and he said nothing else.

So no matter where you go you 'may' get a bit of REAL resentment, but much more friendly banter etc, IMO anyway.

In fact I have the p7ss taken out of me more over here for my cockney accent than I ever found in Australia, if anything it was the reverse, they were fascinated by my accent, (which is broad) and often such words as 'Ronnie and Reggie', 'Ducking and Diving' were mentioned,:biglaugh:.

Cheers Tony.

Guest MontyClaude
Being a sensitive type of person, i have to say it is a concern of mine.

I think this applies to me too!

In fairness, it's not something that's keeping me awake at night, just niggling at the back of my mind.

I'm Irish (well born in Scotland but lived in Ireland all my life) and my OH is Scottish. My OH and cousin (also a Scot) got jumped in Melb in 2005 buy a group of Lebanese guys but it was more of a drunken wrong place wrong time thing.

I worked in Sydney uni for 3 months and HATED it, think it contributed to us leaving Sydney! No-one spoke to me or acknowledged me, when I asked why they said they didn't bother getting to know temps cos I'd be gone in 3 months. Again I know this wasn't because of where I was from, more they didn't want to waste their energy.

On the OP tho,i think there'l be more "banter" directed towards the english rather than scots and irish tbh,just the impression i got in the short time i was over there,wonder if this is rite or not?any irish or scots opinions on this?
aye its cause were so loveable pabs :hug:

No Monty dont worry a bean tbh,ive worked all over the uk and had allkinds of sarcastic "banter" about scousers and thieving and criminals etc etc:SLEEP:,so i dont give a toss,skins thick enuf to deal with it mate,they just get it back x 10 is all.

I once worked on a job in the midlands with about 10 lads from all over the uk,and to try and get shut of me they blanked me for 6 months,NOT easy when theres just you and one of them 10 storeys up in a 20ft long cradle:laugh:

I had dead rats put in me coat,was shot in the head with an air pistol by somebody on the roof when i was working on the 5th floor!:laugh:,had a room to meself coz nobody wanted to room with me in the digs,etc etc etc mate,loads of stuff happened but nobody ever fronted me about anything,like a gang of arl tarts they were!

Anyway i wouldnt leave because im stubborn i suppose(so she says),in the end i found out it was all because of where im from,they were all working on a block of flats in my neck of the woods,Huyton,Lpool,and they chose THE worst alehouse to go in and start shouting their mouths off,anyway they all got a bad hiding,nothing to do with me,i steered clear of the Bluebell pub mostly.

When i arrived on the job in the midlands one of them asked me where i was from,after i said Huyton that was it!condemned man thru no fault of me own,madness!just because i was from the area they got walloped in:goofy:,i fronted them up about what was going on after about 6 months in their room,and they admitted that was what it was about,after that it was okayISH.

So ive no doubt there WILL be resentment from some in OZ,but everybody i met in the short time i was there were superb,thats all i can say,and like i say...it will take more than a bit of resentment to put me off/worry me mate

Aww poor pablo :mad: they sound so mean! lol. Im glad you didnt let it bother you! My bf says some of the people at his work are worse than a bunch of gossiping women lol theyre always talking about each other and bitching to get people into trouble :biggrin: i guess some people just dont grow up!

I had been a bit worried before we moved, I think because I had read quite a few posts by people who said they had experienced anti immigration attitude. I asked my sister, who lived in Sydney for two years at one point and she looked at me like I had lost the plot. Pointed out the country is full of immigrants and quite a lot of British ones too, she said we are hardly going to be the odd ones out and we will probably have lots of British colleagues. She was absolutely right, there is nothing to be concerned about.

the way i see it is simple, if you have been granted a visa you are entitled to live and work in Australia, who cares what they call us.

the only folk that can cal themsel ozzies is the abbos, the rest are fae are oor the place IMO:eek:

Mate, I understand that you wouldn't mean it that way but in case you, or others reading, don't realise that is a very offensive word for aboriginals in Australia. That is the only word that you shouldn't shorten in oz :wink: