You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

S92LAME

Is the weather a good enough reason to emigrate?

Im all for having a bit of sun and some predictability in the weather. therefore i say its perfectly valid.

this summer, like so many before it, so far it has done nothing but rain, then today even though it was sunny, it rained. then i went to Dundee, where it was sunny, and while i was in B&Q it started to rain like i haven't seen since i was last in the Middle East during a monsoon! then when driving to another part of Dundee, i discovered not only had it rained, but:-

That's right people, SNOW IN JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone is taking the piss!

267216_10150688232940721_615790720_19268027_5650136_n.jpg

267216_10150688232940721_615790720_19268027_5650136_n.jpg

Visa Granted 01 July 2010. Probably heading to Perth.

Me:-Helicopter Engineer Wife:-Consultant Oil Exploration Geologist

Watching Wimbledon the other evening and all the spectators were all rugged up in coats and jackets.

Was a bit funny considering supposed to be summer.

But I would say No. the weather alone is not a good enough reason to emmigrate.

Don't come just for that.

I want it all, and I want it now.

No. If it's not too cold then it's too hot.

Guest guest37336

Oh, I don't know, I went for the fishing. Whatever rocks your boat I suppose,:yes:.

Cheers Tony.

Guest tandcmum

I don't think the weather is a good enough reason for emigrating to Oz, but it is certainly viable to put it on the pros list. To my mind it is not our only reason but the fact the weather is good makes it possible for us to do the things we want to do easier therefore contributing to our overall quality of family life

p.s i live in Perth and heard about the snow in Dundee, wasn't it in fact a heavy hailstorm that covered the ground making it look lke it had snowed

I think tandcmum summed it up pretty well there. Not a good enough reason on it's own but it has to be one of the main reasons to think about it. When my father in law asked me why we wanted to emigrate years ago the better weather was one of the first things that popped into my head, much to his disgust. Dragging his daughter and grandson half way round the world for a bit of sunshine and beach life didn't really sit well with him. Now he's been on a few holidays he agrees how importnat the weather can be.

My parents hardly went out of the house for months over the winter. My Mum fell out of bed and broke her hip so has to use a zimmer and my Dad isn't too good on his feet now. Just too risky for them to go outside it was so cold. They both got quite depressed at not seeing anyone.

Guest guest36187

Not in a million years!!! Weather was almost bottom on our list to be honest x

Guest Guest 47403

For some people I guess yes it is a good enough reason if they suffer from SAD or are just a bit depressed in cold weather and a warmer climate would provide a better quality of life.

It's certainly a pro for me but not a good enough single reason.

It wasnt our ONLY reason but it was up there in the top 3 or 4.. If we were having the expense and stress of moving our family to another country ,it had to have a better climate than what we left behind! lol

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest guest30038

"weather" is a simplification and many folk would likely see anyone who saw it as a primary reason for emigrating as looney tunes :goofy:

It's what the weather affords. I had a boat in the UK............I was lucky if I launched it once a month due to the onshore winds in Blackpool. I can launch anytime here...........there is always a sheltered ramp and island.

The saying is, "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" but I hated being "rugged up" in the UK................and this from a qualified Mountain Leader. :goofy:

In some places you do read of kids not being able to play outside due to the UV factor....................what a load of bollox! Hats and 30+ factor gives kids much more opportunities to be outside than the miserable constant drizzle that I experienced in NW UK.

As another poster has mentioned, if you suffer from SAD, then the light here gives you a lift. If, as my wife suffers, you have Reynauds, then at least she can feel her fingers and toes 354 weeks of the year, as opposed to roughly 20 weeks in the UK.

Al fresco rules................if you like eating in a steamy kitchen with condensation running down your windows, then, NO, the weather plays no part here. We eat outdoors 10 months of the year and rarely cook inside.:biggrin:

I must say I hated the chilblains I would get on my toes in England. They made life a misery.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Well, for many its a factor, its supposed to be summer here...

S

Sarah :rolleyes:

Arrived in VIC 18th November 2011

OMG I can't believe you are from Arbroath, I am from Montrose (well kinda). I suppose I should expect that someone would be from nearby really.

Anyway I think some people move for the weather and lots of people in Scotland say they would move somewhere else where the weather was good. But I prefer the weather there (please don't bash me too much):wideeyed: (or say well why are you here then)

I badly miss the seasons, seeing the lovely leaves of autumn, snow, daffodils etc. I know it is not all dreamy weather for sure and I know it can be frustrating when it rains or snows for weeks on end. But literally, this summer I was practically trapped in my house the weather was so hot and the sun was so brutal.

But it depends what you like, some people love that. I am pale skinned you see.

The weather is Scotland is very special. If you like weather I recommend the place.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

when the sun is out it just make the whole place even more beautiful .......now that the rain is here (was still 20 degrees though) it sort of makes you down a little .......its hard to explain .....but no, its not the only reason but it sure does help ..........

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Guest siamsusie

The weather came to me because of :heart_head_nod_yes_but I loved my time in northern WA in temperatures of 40+,..with the occasional rain/storms and cyclones but after 5 years I yearned for cooler temperatures, 4 seasons, daffoldils, snow in the mountains , skiing and rolling green fields which Tasmania offers us.

I am not a lover of humidity on a long term basis.

Not for me personally 92,but i work outside and that affects my reasoning as regards the weather(or heat/sun),not a lover of setting brick in 30+ tbh,but will just have to get on with it or change occupation.

It seems weather is a big factor for a lot of people tho,and if thats what they crave then i reckon thats fair do's,the reason YOU want to go is all that matters,what the rest of us think of your reasons,or my reasons(whatever they may be)doesnt matter a toffo at the end of the day does it?!:wink:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

The weather isn't everything, but for me it makes everything better.

Cheers,

Erica

I don't think that Weather should be the primary reason for moving. (Many people go emigrate to Canada,)

For me, there are many reasons above the weather, of why I want to have a crack at living in Australia. The weather however is fairly high up on the list.

I have a dislocated hip, and the second one is on it's way out at the moment. (Nothing can be done.) Arthritis is starting to set in, and I'm only 21!

The reason I say all of this is because, I find when I am in a warm place, I have absolutely zero pain! It's incredible! I spent 4 months in Australia last year, and I was Hiking, Swimming, cycling and all sorts of outdoor activities!

I had never been so healthy and happy in my whole life! It was primarily down to the climate. I arived back at Heathrow in May and it was STILL SNOWING. Within 3 days, I was in severe pain, and dosing myself up on painkillers again, (Hadn't had one the whole time I was away!) I slipped back into driving everywhere, staying inside and being generally lazy. I have since become really unfit, and just feel less healthy, and miss the outdoor activities I was able to do, and enjoyed doing. So, yeah for me the weather is a big draw, but I still don't feel it's the main reason, but I wouldn't put all of the effort into emigrating to somewhere with a bad climate.

I am fed up with constantly being wet, cold and tired, it's starting to do my head in!!! Especially as I've now had a taste of the good life. LOL.

Tijd is Geld!

Errr...If Australia's weather was worse then that in the UK, would there be so many wanting to come out here??? Hmmmm?

I think not.

Cheers, Bobj.

to me the weather lets you do so much stuff, golf fitba etc , here in sotland the wife an me have seen to many times oor lads faces triping cause they canna play a sport they love cause its pissing doon or its frosty or theres bloody 2 fit o sna bla bla bla, so aye the weathers important to me and my family:notworthy:

Errr...If Australia's weather was worse then that in the UK, would there be so many wanting to come out here??? Hmmmm?

I think not.

Cheers, Bobj.

I started a thread based on my daughter asking me that very same thing.

I think I got two replies, both saying the weather wasn't important to them.

One reply stated they would prefer the u.k.s weather here in Australia.

I'm with you, Bob. Give me sunshine any day. It lifts my mood and, for me,

and I imagine for you Bob, makes everything better.

Cheers,

Erica

well, i only asked the question because i couldn't believe it was snowing in June, while still in the +15c range outside!

i agree with everyone else, its not the only reason for going, but i have to disagree slightly that if its the only reason to go then its silly. i think if that's why you want to go then good luck to you. i think a lot of English especially, dont seem to appreciate just how different the weather here is in Scotland. ive lived in quite a few places in England while i was in the RAF, i found the weather much more bearable there. Like someone else said, i'm getting pretty sick and tired of being cold wet and miserable. the wind rarely lets up and the rain makes it impossible to do anything and enjoy it. my garden is just a mud bog where i park my car, and its not just the drizzle we're famous for, its proper monsoon type!

i actually quite like the cold as well as the heat. i loved being in Australia last year in the heat, but i also really loved the holiday i took to California a couple of years back where i spent a week in Mammoth Mountain ski resort. i dont ski, but i do Skidoo! and hot tub in the snow! if we dont like living in Australia, we will possibly end up going to canada, as that's where my mum is from and a lot of my family are there, and you def get seasons there, freezing and hot! one way or another, ive had enough of the UK. but for more than just the weather reason.

Visa Granted 01 July 2010. Probably heading to Perth.

Me:-Helicopter Engineer Wife:-Consultant Oil Exploration Geologist

Guest guest36187

Regarding weather...I'm in brissie and it ain't all sunshine and roses! Think of the months of rain we had last year (in summer) leading up to the floods. Now we are in winter and I am here in sweatpants, a jumper wishing I had a fire to light!!!!! The idea that the weather is always great is not a correct one!!