and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Good idea, but will it actually happen?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Householders to be given new rights to defend themselves against intruders

'Have-a-go' heroes to get protection, but police warn of dangers of new rights.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share"></SCRIPT>

Cabinet-meeting-006.jpg

The justice secretary, Ken Clarke, is examining the idea of increased legal protection for people who use force to fight off intruders. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA

Householders who confront burglars are to be given greater rights to defend their families and homes. The justice secretary, Kenneth Clarke, is looking at increasing legal protection for people who use force to fight off intruders.

The government is eager to "ensure that people have the protection they need when they defend themselves against intruders", a ministry of justice source told the Observer.

Clarke will also examine the idea of increased legal protection for have-a-go heroes and passersby willing to "apprehend criminals". The move follows high-profile cases in which householders were given jail sentences after attacking burglars.

Last year Munir Hussain was jailed for using a cricket bat to beat a man who had broken into his home and threatened his family with a knife. Hussain was jailed for two and a half years for causing grievous bodily harm with intent, but was released after a public outcry.

The plan has brought warnings from senior police officers, however, who believe a change in the law could promote vigilantism and could also be exploited to provide excuses for those involved in assault cases.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
David Cameron has strengthened his rhetoric against burglars, saying that: “The moment a burglar steps over your threshold, and invades your property - with all the threat that gives to you, your family and your livelihood - I think they leave their human rights outside.” <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Three arrested after 'burglar' killed breaking into home

Two men and a woman have been arrested in Salford, Greater Manchester, after a suspected burglar was stabbed to death while trying to break into a house.

<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 100%; DISPLAY: block" height=0 border=0 frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://embed.onespot.com/javascripts/nextclick/telegraph/builder_template.min.js"></SCRIPT>

Those under arrest are believed to live at the house, according to sources. A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said the three people arrested were being held on suspicion of attempted murder. A spokeswoman for the force said: ''Police are investigating after a man died in Salford. ''Just before midnight, police were called to an address in, Pendlebury, following reports of a burglary and a group of men carrying an injured man on to Hospital Road. ''On arrival at Hospital Road, police found a 26-year-old man with stab wounds. ''He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. ''Two men and a woman have been arrested and remain in police custody.'' Earlier this week David Cameron announced that homeowners would not be prosecuted for using reasonable force to defend their homes. He said: “My mission is to make sure families feel safe in their homes and they can walk the streets freely and without fear. Our policies are about making sure that is the case. "The system today is failing and badly needs reform." He promised that the new justice bill would "put beyond doubt that homeowners and small shopkeepers who use reasonable force to defend themselves or their properties will not be prosecuted".

This story today doesn't fill me with much confidence, that the police will buy into David Camerons ethos? Apparently the people arrested are just a normal family and their house was being broken into by 4 balaclaved burglars, i ask the question ............. why have they been arrested at all? Poor Tony Martin was tortured by intruders and he recieved no help at all, to me the politicians are saying what we want to hear, but the police are doing opposite to what is being said.

<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 0px; DISPLAY: none; HEIGHT: 0px" id=odbPingIframeId src="about<b></b>:blank" frameBorder=0 name=odbFrame></IFRAME>

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Guest Harry A

I'm a firm believer in not retaliating, but come on........when someone breaks into your home, on your property then i would sincerley say that i would do life in prison for protecting my wife and three children!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm a firm believer in not retaliating, but come on........when someone breaks into your home, on your property then i would sincerley say that i would do life in prison for protecting my wife and three children!

Well said Harry ............ but why should anyone have serve to life, or go to jail? Not having a dig buddy, but these people were innocents just going about their daily lives, even if they weren't, say they were scummers, or ex cons, or whatever ............ it was the 4 balaclaved - so called burglars who were breaking in and did the people in the house know if they were armed? Did they know if they were after killing them? No mate ........... anyone breaking into someones house, should do so with the knowledge that the folks inside can do what it takes to protect themselves. It makes my blood boil seeing people arrested, when they have been attacked, unless something comes out that says differently, but what it could be to change my view, i can't guess.

Guest Andy

Quite right and in my eyes and many others you would be perfectly within your rights to protect your loved ones.

Guest Harry A

The thing is that it wasnt premeditated either! They didnt know that they were going to be broken into that night!

Whether the law is right or wrong i would do that for my family!

Hopefully not over the next day or two as i have had the SNIP! and im a bit sore!:nah:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The thing is that it wasnt premeditated either! They didnt know that they were going to be broken into that night!

Whether the law is right or wrong i would do that for my family!

Hopefully not over the next day or two as i have had the SNIP! and im a bit sore!:nah:

I know you don't want to hear this Harry, but ............. i had the snip 13 years ago and .............. i'm still sore. I hope you fair better than i did.

All i have read is that they were a nice, normal family living in a quiet cul de sac and early this morning, 4 masked men tried to break in, they must have been terrified and i remember that Tony Martin, they charged him with murder because he lied about where he was when he fired the shotgun, it was pitch black and three robbers were in his farm, he must have been stressed to high heaven.