MikeW

Sky Didgital Box - take with us?

We are cancelling our sky subscription. Our house contents are being shipped tomorrow - should I take my sky plus box with me or will it be useless? I know we will not be able to get the sky channels, I'm wandering if it'll work as a freeview box?

Cheers,

Mike.

Guest Guest31881

Sorry UK set top box's will not work in Australia, you will need an Australian version to pick up freeview here. They are not expensive, it depends what you want, a basic set top box is around $30, up to the type that will record two programs at the same time that can cost a couple of hundred $

Nope, 'fraid not. We thought the same thing and whilst the boxes that Foxtel install are the same type, they dont work. One less thing to pack :biggrin:

ENS 121 Occupation: Office Manager. Vetassess success letter received 01/06/11. Nomination and Application lodged 29/06/11 Melbourne. Payment/Acknowledgement 30/06/11. CO 13/12/11 requesting repeat information. Pre-grant letter 22/12/11 PR GRANTED 03/01/2012

Thanks for your prompt replies - very helpful!

I did see on here someone claim that their Sky remote control worked with their Foxtel box. The box itself however is worthless in Oz as it's hardwired for the satellite.

Anyone with a non-Sky satellite receiver (i.e. one that can pick up Hotbird or Eutelsat in the UK) can take it as those aren't hardwired and can be tuned to other satellites.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

The biggest issue is that the encryption system used here is different to what Sky use so they're not compatible. I've also heard that they won't give you a customer decoder card to use unless you have their box to plug it into.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Yeah my Austar remote is the same as the sky hd remote in the uk, so should work but you get one with your new box anyway so I would not bother. You could rip the sky plus hard drive out and take that with u or put it in your pc if your shipping that. They are not very good drives but there ok for non important storage!

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Maybe its different in the UK, but here in Australia you don't own the box. It is the property of Foxtel and gets collected when you cancel your subscription.

If you scarper with the box you might be accused of theft.

Also if you come over here and subscribe to Foxtel they will give you a new box anyway.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Yeah you own the box in the UK. Oh and don't come over here expecting foxtel to be as good as sky, it just isn't but hey you don't come here to watch TV. Mine is never on anymore :)

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

We cancelled our sky and just use freesat now instead to save money. We also bought a freesat+ recorder so we could still record stuff. It is made by humax and says foxsat on it.

Does anyone know if this is hard-wired like sky?

Thanks

Claire

Pete, Claire, Jaime & Maisie

We cancelled our sky and just use freesat now instead to save money. We also bought a freesat+ recorder so we could still record stuff. It is made by humax and says foxsat on it.

Does anyone know if this is hard-wired like sky?

Thanks

Claire

No idea. You could always point your dish at a different satellite and see if it works!

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

That's what we were thinking. Think we will take it with us.

Ta

Pete, Claire, Jaime & Maisie