goldyshell

Luggage allowance on 457

Hi

I need some info. We are off to Perth on 7th August on a 457 visa. We are also applying for a 176 but wont have that for another few months. How do we stand on baggage allowance?

Does anyone know if Singapore airlines will allow the double baggage allowance of 40kilo per person on validation of a 457. They have advise me that if we are going one way and validating a permanent visa then the 40kilos are allowed.

The 457 isnt a permanent visa, so not sure where we stand and not getting any luck out of the customer services dept at Singapore airlines!

Any feedback would be useful

Thanks

Michelle :chatterbox:

unfortunately because a 457 is not a permanent visa, you are only allowed the 20kg allowance when emigrating.

I have heard of rare occasions (normally with Singapore) that if you approach them with your dilemma, you might get a bigger allowance, but as I say, its not commonplace.

Others have flown via the US for bigger luggage allowances & a holiday on the way. :cool:

:wink:

Guest the aitkens
Hi

I need some info. We are off to Perth on 7th August on a 457 visa. We are also applying for a 176 but wont have that for another few months. How do we stand on baggage allowance?

Does anyone know if Singapore airlines will allow the double baggage allowance of 40kilo per person on validation of a 457. They have advise me that if we are going one way and validating a permanent visa then the 40kilos are allowed.

The 457 isnt a permanent visa, so not sure where we stand and not getting any luck out of the customer services dept at Singapore airlines!

Any feedback would be useful

Thanks

Michelle :chatterbox:

Hi Michelle,

We are also heading to Oz on a 457 Visa and fly out of Manchester on 27th July with Singapore Airlines (SI).

We had been duped into believing we would get the 40kg when in factual fact we were only getting 20kg, however when queried with SI, they offered us 25kg. After explaining that we were travelling with kids and it was our intention to convert the 457 visa into Permanent Residency and that competitors offered more, I negotiated 30kg for each of us, which we were more than happy with.

Good luck with your move.

Alistair

Have you looked at Emirates? You get 30kg as standard.

417 - Arrived 08/03/11,

457 - Granted 03/01/12,

186 - (Boilermaker, Transition, LR) Medicals 20/10/15, Nom and Visa applied 15/12/15, GRANTED 14/06/16