landed a job finally

Guest Billy

Guest Billy

I've spent the last couple of weeks disheartened by the lack of carpenter's jobs advertised on seek, careerone etc. bored of waiting at the computer for new jobs to be added all day i decided to get more proactive.

while touring around buderim and moloolaba this weeken, i stopped at any building sites taking the main contractors details off sign boards, later at home i sent nice emails that i was looking for work and was wanting to settle my family on the sunshine coast etc, and attached my resume.

Yesterday I coldcalled construction companies out of yellow pages. nobody was pissed off with this and a couple asked for my resume, and i mailed it straight away.

After a nice long phone call today i've accepted a nice job for a great looking company (going from their website) and start on monday. Im stoked.

I started out too timid, 2 weeks waiting for people to contact me after applying through jobsites. I got pissed off this weekend and went for it, got 2 job offers and an interview in the space of 3 days.

Not sure if this approach would work for all but if you're in construction. It seems you have to go to them, the good companies often dont need to advertise for staff.

Many companies out here dont use agencies (as they are mainly useless) and prefur you to approuch them directly. My husband was the same didnt do anything but apply for jobs and look at seek for 2 weeks until i kicked up a fuss (i was offered a job before i even had arrived here or started looking) then as if by magic he has 3 interviews and 2 job offers and started work the next day. The vibe i get from Oz so far is you have to be proactive and go and put yourself out there, ignore everything the Uk has taught you, they are poles apart. Our work life balance is amazing now and we earn more money! :) You will love it

Guest Billy
Congratulations!!!!! Hope you are settling in well :biggrin:

I'm loving it thanks, I've met some really nice people already.

Wont have the settled feeling until my wife and son join me in august though, thank goodness for skype. Makes staying in touch with family so much easier. when i moved to the states in '94 i used to use a fax machine to keep in touch with the UK :goofy:

Guest wateraild
I've spent the last couple of weeks disheartened by the lack of carpenter's jobs advertised on seek, careerone etc. bored of waiting at the computer for new jobs to be added all day i decided to get more proactive.

while touring around buderim and moloolaba this weeken, i stopped at any building sites taking the main contractors details off sign boards, later at home i sent nice emails that i was looking for work and was wanting to settle my family on the sunshine coast etc, and attached my resume.

Yesterday I coldcalled construction companies out of yellow pages. nobody was pissed off with this and a couple asked for my resume, and i mailed it straight away.

After a nice long phone call today i've accepted a nice job for a great looking company (going from their website) and start on monday. Im stoked.

I started out too timid, 2 weeks waiting for people to contact me after applying through jobsites. I got pissed off this weekend and went for it, got 2 job offers and an interview in the space of 3 days.

Not sure if this approach would work for all but if you're in construction. It seems you have to go to them, the good companies often dont need to advertise for staff.

Congratulations to Billy! :wink: