Sponsorship - best way?

Guest Andy_P

Hello all,

I am looking to find employment in Australia via the sponsorship route. At this time, I am still living in England, and in full-time employment. So far, I have applied for several places through websites such as Seek.com.au, MyCareer.com.au etc and also directly to companies themselves. As yet, not a single reply which is a little bit disheartening.

I'm just wondering, if any of you have been sponsored, how did you do it? Did you get a job before leaving UK, or did you enter Australia on a tourist visa and find work then?

I'm just trying to get an idea of the best way to go about things, so any advice greatly appreciated.

For the record, I am a PLC software / electrical engineer, looking to find work in Sydney.

Thanks!

Andy.

Hi there Jo,

Yes, I did have a look some time ago, and I think I would have enough points if I was to go for a permanant visa.

My preference is to get a visa via sponsorship though, so do you still need to pass a 'points test'?

Guest UK2Perth

I'm no migrant consultant, you may be best speaking to someone about it (free over the phone advice). I'm with Go Matilda Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia Also maybe worthwhile checking out the Australian Government website to see what different visas they do. I was going to go that way transferring with the same firm but (a) they are reluctant to take on people they haven't interviewed face to face and (b) like people to already have Australian residency. That advice came from my firend who lives in Adelaide. Hope this helps... :)

Thanks for the link to 'Go Matilda', looks like a great site, and I will check out the free advice thing too.

they are reluctant to take on people they haven't interviewed face to face and

This is a concern for me I must admit. I have no idea how an interview process would go. Presumably it would all be done over the phone, or maybe I should just jack it in here in England and get out there on a tourist visa, and apply for some jobs then.

Oh boy, I just don't know. Hopefully the free 15 minute advice thing from Go Matilda can help get me straightened out.

Anyway, thanks for your replies Jo. :)

Andy, if you have enough points I would go the skilled PR route rather than sponsorhip, however, I know patsmac actually made a 3 week visit to aus to meet people face to face and look for sponsorship. Last I heard from him things were looking promising.

My hubby and I are here on a pr visa and both secured employment prior to leaving UK after telephone interviews.

Ali

Hi Andy

Speaking from personal experience, don’t be disheartened about the lack of response.

Been there and got that T-shirt, I was on loads of job sites and sent my CV all over the place and only got one response which was for possible 457 temp visa subject to a skills test in Oz, because I told them I was thinking of having a trip over.

We decided to do a Reccie and went to Perth for 3 weeks and am so so glad I did I (apart from the fact I got to meet Ali and her lovely family) I applied for 4 jobs and was offered all 4, the interviews were very easy going and what’s more I have now started the process of going over on a PR which I didn’t even think was possible due to my age (46) before going to Oz, sponsorship was offered on each job as well.

Granted it was an expensive trip, but it has kick started the all process more than I could have imagined.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck.

Pat

Guest dazarooni

Andy

I too have considered the 457 visa, applied for jobs via the internet, etc without much luck.

My next step (as an alternative to an expensive holiday to Oz) is to visit Expo Australia, which I believe is basically a recruitment drive by a lot of aussie companies.

It's happening in Manchester on the last weekend of October and in London the first weekend of November.

Check the website expo-australia.com for details.

dazarooni

Ali:

Thanks for your advice, it is certainly something for me to think about. It is encouraging to know that it is possible to get a job via telephone!

Pat:

It's good to know that it isn't just me, and that the lack of response, however frustrating it may be, is not unusual. It's great to hear that your trip bore such fruit. Did you apply for the jobs once you were in Oz, or did you apply from UK and inform them you would be visiting?

It is what I have been thinking about doing, either going for a 3 week holiday, or leaving my UK job (which I want to do anyway, even if I never leave UK) and going for longer, finances permitting of course!

Daz:

I did actually visit the Expo in London back in March. It is what kind of kick-started all this process for me. Unfortunately, the Expo didn't have much on offer for what I can do. (If I could do office IT, or work in the mining industry I believe I could have got offered a job on the spot.)

Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted, this is an itch I just have to scratch!

Andy.

Hi Andy

I applied for loads of jobs and sent my CV, but only one of them bothered to reply and that was when I mentioned to them I would be visiting Perth soon.

The other jobs were just the ones I got from the advertised vacancies in the paper once over there. I also found a lot of x-pats there willing to help you and point you in the right direction.

I took over a few CVs and copies of my qualifications and a pen drive full of other documents in case I needed to print off any more and just started applying, one of the jobs I was offered was from a company who wouldn’t even answer my e-mails when I was trying from the UK.

I got the impression from some companies that they get inundated with people just “testing the water” and treat you totally different once you have shown commitment to go and see them face to face.

As regards the Expo, I attended one in Manchester and even though I found it very informative and encouraging, I couldn’t secure the job I was looking for.

Good luck on what you decide, I sold our new car and bought a second hand one to finance the trip and has proved to be a right decision for us. It also obviously gave us chance to see Oz ourselves and what it has to offer our family.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for that mate, very interesting. My thoughts at this time is to give it a little while longer to see if anything turns up this side of Christmas, which I think is looking unlikely. If nothing does, then I may give notice at work and get over to Oz for as long as I can at the start of next year. New year, new start and all that.

In between time, I will probably get to the next Expo in London. I'm more committed to this now, so rather than just going 'for a look around', it may be more productive, never know your luck!

Andy.

Guest UK2Perth

maybe I should just jack it in here in England and get out there on a tourist visa, and apply for some jobs then.

Andy - You're probably aware that you cannot work or study on a tourist visa and assuming you are over 31 yrs of age you cannot go out on more than a 3 months visa. You need to bear in mind the length of time it may take for your visa to be processed and how quickly the businesses want to employ someone. I'm not sure how long it takes on a business sponsorship, you will have to phone an agency which I said last night is free..

Jo

Hi Andy

All I can say mate is that the reccie definitely worked for us and I achieved more in them 3 weeks than the previous 3 months.

I kept hearing that this was the case and so decided to bite the bullet and give it a try.

One of the surprising things I found was that “rural” doesn’t mean a remote town well inland and with not much going on, in fact it could mean a lovely large well developed town on the coast and less than an hour from Perth. If you choose a location like this it can increase your chances of success in finding a job/sponsor etc as it did for us….I did also have 2 jobs offered to me in or around Perth itself if the city is more to your liking.

Pat

Pat,

We're heading for Perth too. When you hoping on going? Where in Lancs are you from?

Jo

Hi Jo

We are hoping to move over to the Mandurah area, It reminds me so much of Windermere.

We are from near sunny Clitheroe in the Ribble valley.

Are you from Lancashire yourself.

Pat

p.m. me if you want then we don't hijack the chosen topic.

Guest UK2Perth

Pat,

Unable to send you a PM. Have you blocked it or is your box full? We are from Ewood LOL and my OH lived in Burnley. My OH lives nr Joondalup off Ocean Reef Road so we will be starting out there :)

Hi Andy,

If you are interested in working in the mining sector please contact me via my website, AusArrivals Immigration Agency: Helping with Australian visa applications and all aspects of Australian migration.

While I cannot guarantee a job, I do have extensive contacts within the mining/engineering fields and would be happy to do what i can to put your resume in front of potential employers.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Kind regards,

Vicki

Dr Vicki Clayton

Migration Adviser (MARN:0531177)

AusArrivals Immigration Agency

Guest UK2Perth

Hi Vicki,

My fiance is already living in Perth on the 136 visa. He is an electronical & mechanical engineer and is interested in working in the mining industry. He will probably have to wait until I arrive (hopefully Dec/Jan) as we have 2 dogs to look after and I believe it's 2 weeks on and a week off so we've been told.

Please can you PM me your email address so I can send you his CV?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Joanne.

Hi Vicki,

My fiance is already living in Perth on the 136 visa. He is an electronical & mechanical engineer and is interested in working in the mining industry. He will probably have to wait until I arrive (hopefully Dec/Jan) as we have 2 dogs to look after and I believe it's 2 weeks on and a week off so we've been told.

Please can you PM me your email address so I can send you his CV?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Joanne.

Hi Joanne,

Yes, please do! Wasn't sure if I could put my email here: vicki@ausarrivals.com.au.

Be delighted to receive your husband's resume. If his degree qualification and transcript of subjects could also be sent that would be great (if you could scan them and send as attachments).

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kind regards,

Vicki

Dr Vicki Clayton

Migration Adviser (MARN:0531177)

Hi, Im going on a sponsored long term buisness visa (not sure why some people are put off this route it seems) emailed a company, had an interview in the UK-although they would have done an over the phone interview. Now have everything paid for (flights, medical, visa application, full migration assistance etc) by them, am free to move between company all over oz at any time and can apply for permanent residency after 18 months which would be granted after 2 yrs.seems an easier/cheaper route to the same end to me.Good luck.

Archived