No point in bringing...

claireg

Hi, our packers are arriving end of August and we are starting to de-clutter our stuff and decide what to bring.

I know about the prohibited items but just wanting to know what are the things that there is no point in bringing that don't work or don't meet regulations in Aus. I know of two below, there are probably more if anyone can enlighten us.

* skybox / sky + box

* baby / child car seats (different regulations)

Thanks

Claire

Guest kennmikp
Hi, our packers are arriving end of August and we are starting to de-clutter our stuff and decide what to bring.

Just wanting to know what are the things that there is no point in bringing that don't work or don't meet regulations in Aus. I know of two below, there are probably more if anyone can enlighten us.

* skybox / sky + box

* baby / child car seats (different regulations)

Thanks

Claire

Where did you get this info from.

Surely if a care seat meets EU regs its good enough for anywhere (i know Aus aint in the EU). Or have i just answered my own question???? :rolleyes:

They have different regulations, I believe they have an extra anchor point. Apparently you can fit them into a car in Aus no prob but it is illegal, so if you are caught there could be consequences I suppose.

I got the info from another PIO member a while back but I can't recall the exact thread though, but have heard / read this a few times now.

Ta

Claire

Guest kennmikp

Not knowing what exactly what you mean by EXTRA ANCHOR point i cant give any input right now, but i will do some research.

As far as im aware, a seat belt only locks into the seatbelt clip! Hey presto, car seat secure!

Yes I was surprised when I found out, not too sure what it means either. You would think that EU regs would be good enough but no!

Perhaps they are like the isofix? We just have ours secured with the seat belts too.

Claire

We found some car seats do not fit certain cars, so therefor dangerous, each car seat will tell you what make and model car it is recommended for!Some don't sit far enough back into the seat they are placed on, so it moves forward at the base rather than fitting snug!

Where did you get this info from.

Surely if a care seat meets EU regs its good enough for anywhere (i know Aus aint in the EU). Or have i just answered my own question???? :rolleyes:

Child seats have to meet Aus safety regulations. You've answered your own question :biggrin:. You'll find some further discussion on page 3 of this thread.

It's not so much about the safety anyway. Even if you feel the seat is safe, if it doesn't meet safety regulations it is illegal and not only are you liable for a fine you'd probably invalidate your car insurance etc in the event that you should have a car accident or anything. Just not worth it imho.

i see no thread too look at, however i did find this

http://www.crep.com.au/faq.html

which seems to answer the question.

Bugger, only just bought the daughter a new car seat too lol :elvis:

Dammit, sorry, I should never get on here before I have my morning coffee. :arghh:

We were discussing it in page 3 of this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/105116-flying-oz-young-children-3.html. But yeah, it refers back to the site you quoted anyhow.

If you also google child restraints + the state you are going to (eg child restraints Victoria for instance), it should bring up info from the local gov as well which you might find useful. The sight you've looked at is published by NSW.

Guest Olibear

We brought all our electrical items and some extension leads. Not sure if it's electrically safe so please ask and electrician if you're unsure. We changed the plugs to Aus plugs when we arrived except for those which have transformers, they go into adapters or extension leads which themselves go into adapters.

Just to let you know that we have Australian seats, and the extra strap really secures the seat to the car. They are far better than the standard European seats, (although I'd say Isofix is even better - we used this with our youngest).

With a standard European seat, if the work the seat from side to side they often come loose, but with the Aussie seat, it was always fixed.

Guest Mark and Katie Singleton

Hi there

Having just read all these threads and info, just wondering how you go about restraining your child/baby in a car when you first arrive in the Country, I have 4 year old and a 16 week old baby, My four year old has a small booster seat, which I assume is acceptable as it is just to make her the right height for a normal seat belt. The baby carrier we have is part of the pram system and is backward facing, I wasn't going to use that one as I think she will have almost outgrown it but if the law says up to 6 months she might still be under that age restriction when we arrive....I was going to bring our next carseat up (Maxi Cosi) for our baby to go in to instread, however this is front facing. Obviously we can purchase a new carseat for our youngest once we are in the Country but for the mean time from leaving the airport to getting to where we are going (Singleton NSW), how do we get round that??? Will the Maxi Cosi not fit the ancorage system n Australian cars at all? even for just a few days till we can get to buying a new one.....advice welcomed many thanks

Guest Mark and Katie Singleton

Ah thats a good idea, thanks Claire, I wouldn't want to get a massive fine the minute I enter the Country wouldn't be a good start eh! I will look into that when booking a hire car, cheers :biggrin:

Guest snowy10
Hi there

Having just read all these threads and info, just wondering how you go about restraining your child/baby in a car when you first arrive in the Country, I have 4 year old and a 16 week old baby, My four year old has a small booster seat, which I assume is acceptable as it is just to make her the right height for a normal seat belt. The baby carrier we have is part of the pram system and is backward facing, I wasn't going to use that one as I think she will have almost outgrown it but if the law says up to 6 months she might still be under that age restriction when we arrive....I was going to bring our next carseat up (Maxi Cosi) for our baby to go in to instread, however this is front facing. Obviously we can purchase a new carseat for our youngest once we are in the Country but for the mean time from leaving the airport to getting to where we are going (Singleton NSW), how do we get round that??? Will the Maxi Cosi not fit the ancorage system n Australian cars at all? even for just a few days till we can get to buying a new one.....advice welcomed many thanks

I think the seat we have in the UK is a "Jane exo" car seat, this has a top tether which fastens in the boot so I assume it will be legal in Oz when we make the move.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.janecarseat.co.uk/jane-exo/

It seems a very comfy seat for the little one, the headrest adjusts up as they grow. It's Isofix but can be also fastened in with the seatbelts.

Guest marra2000
So.....can anyone suggest a place that we buy Aussie car seats then? We are headed for WA. We have a 6yr old and 3yr old, so we'll be needing two. Yet another expense waiting for us on arrival.....sniff.....sniff.... :unsure:

Take a look at these for taking :

http://www.ebitsi.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=5923&googleps=1

http://www.ebitsi.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=294882&googleps=1

You may be able to contact the manufacturer regarding the anchor points, I know of a couple that bought over here to take that was AU comp as EU .

Guest Olibear

We got our toddler seat from Target, it was in the sale reduced from $250 to $150 i think. Can't find the Australian site online, only the American.

Booster seats started from around $80 but baby seats are at the $250 mark last time I checked.

Don't bring Scuba tanks. Valves and BS certification are wrong and you won't get them hydro'd anywhere without a substantial investment in either having them re-engineered and/or buying a very large drink for the tester.

Re child car seats - we found simply duct taping our little ones to the seat worked as a stop-gap on longer journeys. Velcro was fine for a quick trip to the pub and back...

Doesn't seem to have done them any significant lasting harm. Other than an aversion to Bunnings they both appear to have grown into well adjusted teenagers. (if there is such a thing)

Archived