Just need clarification if i have worked out the right school year for my kids

brideycollette

Hi ,

Ok I just need to clarify i have this right

My Daughter is 11.... date of birth 29/03/00 would she be in year 7 in WA next year ?

My son is 3...... date of birth 26/06/07 would he be pre-primary in WA next year ?

:embarrassed:or have i got it completely wrong lol

Brides x

I think you are right.

You son, however, will probably be the youngest in his class. For you daughter, if you go the public schooling she will be in Year 7 in primary school. Private schools have their Year 7 in high school.

I think you are right.

You son, however, will probably be the youngest in his class. For you daughter, if you go the public schooling she will be in Year 7 in primary school. Private schools have their Year 7 in high school.

Thanks Esme , can i hold my son back at all ? or will it be up to the school if he is ready ?

That is something you could talk to the school about. I don't know really. I can really see the difference, even in my own children, between the oldest and youngest ones in the class. My boy, who is a November baby, just breezes through his studies. My friend did manage to hold her daughter back, 25 June birthday, but that was a few years ago.

Hi ,

Ok I just need to clarify i have this right

My Daughter is 11.... date of birth 29/03/00 would she be in year 7 in WA next year ?

My son is 3...... date of birth 26/06/07 would he be pre-primary in WA next year ?

:embarrassed:or have i got it completely wrong lol

Brides x

Yes you are absolutely correct. Personally I wouldn't hold your son back. By the time you get here he will be 4 and a half and have completed some nursery sessions back in the UK and maybe even a term of Reception (not familiar with UK school ages these days). That is all Kindy is really so I wouldn't worry too much. The Principal at the school I work in is reluctant to keep kids back as age discrepancies in older years can cause problems.

Yes you are absolutely correct. Personally I wouldn't hold your son back. By the time you get here he will be 4 and a half and have completed some nursery sessions back in the UK and maybe even a term of Reception (not familiar with UK school ages these days). That is all Kindy is really so I wouldn't worry too much. The Principal at the school I work in is reluctant to keep kids back as age discrepancies in older years can cause problems.

Thanks Northernbird, yep Julius starts primary school in September ... so actually thinking about it ,i should just let him start makes sense i guess

I've got a similar calculation issue to resolve. I've just been offered (and accepted) a job in Melbourne on a 457. Our daugher is 12, and will be 13 on the 31st Dec, so she is in year 7 in the UK at the moment and hence in her first year of secondary education. What I am trying to work out is whether she would presently be in Year 7 in Victoria - my thinking is yes, just, by a day - but I can't find anywhere on the net which confirms the birthdates for each current year.

Secondly, and this may be something dealt with elsewhere (but please be kind to me, this is my first post on here). We're getting the distinct impression from (secondary) schools that they will not even consider our daughter for a place until we have a permanent address (ie at least a 12 month lease on a house). Given the time it will take for our stuff to get to Oz by sea, I can well imagine we'll be in temporary accommodation for a month or two (my new employers are part-funding this), and I don't want daughter dearest sitting around with no schooling (and critically no friends) for the best part of two months - she'll be distraught and we'll end up strangling her... So how do we get around this?

I've got a similar calculation issue to resolve. I've just been offered (and accepted) a job in Melbourne on a 457. Our daugher is 12, and will be 13 on the 31st Dec, so she is in year 7 in the UK at the moment and hence in her first year of secondary education. What I am trying to work out is whether she would presently be in Year 7 in Victoria - my thinking is yes, just, by a day - but I can't find anywhere on the net which confirms the birthdates for each current year.

Secondly, and this may be something dealt with elsewhere (but please be kind to me, this is my first post on here). We're getting the distinct impression from (secondary) schools that they will not even consider our daughter for a place until we have a permanent address (ie at least a 12 month lease on a house). Given the time it will take for our stuff to get to Oz by sea, I can well imagine we'll be in temporary accommodation for a month or two (my new employers are part-funding this), and I don't want daughter dearest sitting around with no schooling (and critically no friends) for the best part of two months - she'll be distraught and we'll end up strangling her... So how do we get around this?

I am not all that familiar with Victoria but the cut off date appears to be April 30th. In order to start school in Victoria a child has to turn 5 before April 30th of the year they start. They start in Prep before going onto year 1, 2 etc. By my reckoning she will be in Year 7 now, obviously year 8 in 2012. Like I said, not all the familiar and hopefully someone from Victoria will pop by. I also can't help on the enrolment side, you might be best finding a couple of schools in the area you are looking at and dropping them an email or better still giving their Registrar a call.

Good luck.

Cut off date for Vic is 30 April so if she is turning 13 in December she will be going into year 8 in 2012. If you arrive before November then she would spend a few weeks in year 7 but if you arrive after Nov then dont bother to send her to school, just let her start in 2012

You wont get around the school placement without a reasonably permanent address in a gov school - many of them are really strict about their catchment areas. Only way to solve that problem is to go private - which is no big deal as almost half of HS kids go private these days. The Catholic system is the next big system and generally cheapest fees wise.

Cut off date for Vic is 30 April so if she is turning 13 in December she will be going into year 8 in 2012. If you arrive before November then she would spend a few weeks in year 7 but if you arrive after Nov then dont bother to send her to school, just let her start in 2012

You wont get around the school placement without a reasonably permanent address in a gov school - many of them are really strict about their catchment areas. Only way to solve that problem is to go private - which is no big deal as almost half of HS kids go private these days. The Catholic system is the next big system and generally cheapest fees wise.

Thanks Quoll. If I understand correctly, her year will be all children turning 13 on or before April 30th 2012, so in being a December birthday, she won't be anything like the youngest in her year? That's quite nice to know - she'd cope whatever as she's feisty - but I think she'll settle much better if she's not the youngest.

We've e-mailed four schools and heard back from two within a day - one very hardline on the permanent address issue, one a little warmer and apparently less brutal. I know why they have the rule, its just an unintended consequence that it makes things much harder for migrants... (but if that's our worst problem in life...:wink:)

Timing wise now all depends on the 457 process. I gather police checks are required, and over here CRB checks can take six weeks, so I'm braced for this taking longer than a couple of weeks to process... Combined with my notice period, we could well find ourselves landing well into November, and apart from giving us probably the strangest Christmas of our lives, it will also mean that school entry before Year 8 becomes *cough* academic.... If we are then not into a long term rental before Year 8 starts, our finances will be looking rather sick.

Thanks Quoll. If I understand correctly, her year will be all children turning 13 on or before April 30th 2012, so in being a December birthday, she won't be anything like the youngest in her year? That's quite nice to know - she'd cope whatever as she's feisty - but I think she'll settle much better if she's not the youngest.

We've e-mailed four schools and heard back from two within a day - one very hardline on the permanent address issue, one a little warmer and apparently less brutal. I know why they have the rule, its just an unintended consequence that it makes things much harder for migrants... (but if that's our worst problem in life...:wink:)

Timing wise now all depends on the 457 process. I gather police checks are required, and over here CRB checks can take six weeks, so I'm braced for this taking longer than a couple of weeks to process... Combined with my notice period, we could well find ourselves landing well into November, and apart from giving us probably the strangest Christmas of our lives, it will also mean that school entry before Year 8 becomes *cough* academic.... If we are then not into a long term rental before Year 8 starts, our finances will be looking rather sick.

She will likely be slap bang in the middle of the year age wise. She will be disadvantaged in school sport however with her 31 December birthday as she will be competing with all the kids who have their birthdays during that year but that probably wont be a huge issue.

You shouldnt have too much trouble finding a rental in Melbourne - I dont think the market is quite as tight as it is in other places (ACT for example). Get your house sorted and the school will fall into place.