2 weeks in Canberra - Our thoughts so far

surhythms

If you are looking to buy a car, i worked at the car auction house in fyshwick and I may be able to help like i did with Suzanne. I might be able to save you a few thousand $, just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you

hi Nik, we will definitely contact you once we reach in September. :biggrin:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SandP
Hi Paul1Perth

Thanks for your reply. I note your comment regarding purchasing cars which we will need to do as we have 2 young children.

My Fireblade is a motorbike and from looking on the web at some of the prices at dealers it looks on the surface to be cheaper to import my motor bike rather than buy one in ACT.

Does/has anyone experience of importing a motor bike into ACT?

Cheers

Breezer

Breezer

We have been in Canberra for nearly 3 months now and we brought my OH's BMW motor bike with us. We had to pay 2% of value in insurance and when it got here we had to pay another $1000 to get it inspected by customs and quaratine and the stamp duty. Then we had to pay for it to be steamed cleaned which I think was around $200 and we haven't got it yet as it needs to be reinspected by c+q. Then we have to collect it from Sydney ourselves as they don't deliver with the rest of your furniture etc although it is all shipped together.

With hindsight we may not have bought it but then with buying new car, new house and other associated expenses he probably would never be able to justify buying another one once we got here if he had sold it in the UK. So its a bit swings and roundabouts really. You could lose on the sale in UK and considering the exchange rate at the moment you would probably pay through the nose here. Have a look at see what sort of price you coud buy it here then factor in teh exchange rate and stuff.

Hope that helps a little. The whole process has frustrated me but Peter is looking forward to getting on his bike and experiencing the great roads here.

Sara

• 9 months later...
Guest Leachy

Hi Suzanne,

Thankyou for taking the time to write this brilliant and informative post, its has really helped us.

On a school front my son will be 10 when we arrive have you any advice?

I cant believe how quick you got everything sorted.........I may need some tips!! lol