Brits living in Sydney, getting married in Croatia - paperwork!

mrchris76

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are both from the UK and are living in Australia on a 457 visa. We are going to Croatia to get married in September, and returning to Sydney afterwards. We are now sorting out some of the required legal paperwork to get the relevant cert to get married.

We have been told that we have to place an advert in a local daily paper for 7 days using specific wording about our intention to get married and then sending copies to the British High Commission in Canberra :confused: (seems crazy, but true) so we just called up Sydney Morning Herald and are absolutely stunned as we have been told this is going to cost us around $2000 :cry: to run a teeny tiny advert for 7 days. Thats insane! There must be another option....

Its all to do with getting married in a non-commonwealth country it seems.

Has anyone here ever done what we're trying to do?

Hoping someone can offer advice, I will be trying to get hold of someone at the British High Commission too.. no idea how easy that will be...

Thanks in advance!

Chris & Amanda

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz

Chris and Amanda,

Goodness that seems a lot of money.. I do hope someone can come up with some ideas!

Susie x