Guest The Ropey HOFF

Tetleys brewery in Leeds closing down.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well its a sad day for the workers at Tetleys brewery in Leeds the brewery has been running for nearly two hundred years and due to lack of demand, mainly due to pubs and clubs closing down in droves, the great brewery is closing its doors. Its on the news that the workers are holding a wake and i hope the beers free for them. I am not a beer drinker, but ......... i do like the odd pint of Tetleys smoothflow ............

Guest Unha99Y

You will still be able to buy Tetleys, it will continue to be brewed in Carlsberg's other plant in Northampton

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its just sad that such a long standing business known to most in Yorkshire is having to close its doors, i blame the supermarkets with all the deals going on, no wonder pubs are closing in record numbers, they can't compete.

Its a shame

All three that I worked for are all closed

Home Brewery

Youngs Brewery

Gales Brewery

Breweries have been closing for years and years, my old boss once told me that Whitbread before that one went that it had taken over and adsorbed 200 breweries in its history

Like everything its business and they are run by accountants who only care about one thing

Guest guest37336
shows you what i know , i thought they only made tea,

Hi Moirclan/Jim.

Like you I firstly thought TEA, OMG, I would be up there like a shot, love a cuppa me.

But seriously, a great shame when a business like this goes to the wall, have spent many days wandering around the old breweries in Yorkshire when I visit my parents up there, as a non drinker now I can still appreciate the history behind such places,:yes:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Unha99Y
Its just sad that such a long standing business known to most in Yorkshire is having to close its doors, i blame the supermarkets with all the deals going on, no wonder pubs are closing in record numbers, they can't compete.

If supermarkets are to blame then Tetleys are in part at fault. You can buy 4 * 440ml cans for 3.97 at asda. I think one of the reasons is that people would prefer to drink at home nowadays

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I'm just reading ......... the brewery was opened in 1822 and it is steeped in history, alot of old mills have faced the same fate, just seems sad to me.