Singapore Airlines & Changi Airport, Singapore.

Guest siamsusie

Oops, missed that one, pity, do like window seats but not 3 in, bad back when sitting too long.

ps, as an aside, we do the trip once a year, partly to keep a return ticket on hand for emergencies (other half) and also its the cheapest way to get back to UK for the summer there (when we can, but Nov this year) Differnece in price is amazing, from Aus to UK SIA maybe around $3000 to go when you want peak season. We cdan never plan in much in advance so cant catch specials(as its done in Aus) when they come up. Our returns for this year will work out at $1600 for a 12 month changeable return ticket.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonderful information my sons girlfriend arrived in Australia at long last this morning as an Australian resident ,she has had a lot of support from members on poms , she emailed me when she arrived at Changi airport, saying she had just had a shower and was being pampered, we have been a few times to that airport but didnt know this service was available such good rates as well

Guest JamieandMel

Hi There

Does anyone know if the double luggage allowance if available to people coming over on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

We are travelling out on 5th October to Melboune, anybody else booked on that flight yet?

:cute:

Guest siamsusie

I do believe you are entitled to a greater luggage allowance Mel & Jamie. Email SIA and they should contact you pretty quickly.

Guest DaneD
Hi There

Does anyone know if the double luggage allowance if available to people coming over on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

We are travelling out on 5th October to Melboune, anybody else booked on that flight yet?

:cute:

im going over on a different visa... but this reply may help....

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to additional baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger.

This additional baggage allowance is only granted on your first use of the visa hence our requirement for it to be unstamped, the visa will be verified by our check-in staff on your day of departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

• The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

• No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

The excess baggage charge Manchester to Melbourne is SGD80.00 per kilo equivalent to GBP40.00 approximately.

We hope the above information helps with your enquiry.

Thank you for flying Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

SIA UK

• 4 weeks later...
Guest liltman

Hi Guy's, this is a fantastic post, very helpful and reassuring to know that every bodies experiences will help out in every way possible. Travelling to Brisbane soon with SIA and will update thread with my travels... :hug: :biggrin: .

Guest siamsusie
Hi Guy's, this is a fantastic post, very helpful and reassuring to know that every bodies experiences will help out in every way possible. Travelling to Brisbane soon with SIA and will update thread with my travels... :hug: :biggrin: .

I am pleased you enjoyed it Liltman and happy travels.. Looking forward to receiving your arrival posts.

Susie x

Guest siamsusie

Press Release

Service goes up another notch at Changi Airport

Aug 12, 2011 09:21 CEST

Service at Changi Airport is set to be further enhanced with the introduction of the Changi Experience Agents (CEAs) initiative, where roving customer service officers are deployed airport-wide to help visitors and passengers with assistance, as well as the Changi Contact Centre, a 24/7 one-stop centralised call centre facility which consolidates all telephone lines for the airport into a common number.

Both brand-new initiatives are aimed at enhancing the Changi Experience and were introduced to augment and strengthen CAG’s effort to provide a stress-free, personalised and positively surprising experience for all visitors and passengers at the airport.

Changi Experience Agents

Since March this year, roving customer service officers (CSOs) have been walking the grounds at the airport and helping visitors and passengers with their requests. This group of officers, or Changi Experience Agents (CEAs), are deployed airport-wide as part of CAG’s efforts to be more responsive to customers who require assistance. Their job includes assisting passengers with special needs, and helping passengers with wayfinding at the airport. Locating missing luggage, facilitating passengers with check-in needs and assisting transit or transfer passengers with their onward connections also form part of the CEAs’ duties. CEAs work in shifts and are deployed across all four terminals during each shift.

There are currently more than 90 CEAs at Changi. They speak a total of more than 20 languages and dialects. Some of the foreign languages include Hindi, Japanese, French, Tagalog and Thai, a reflection of Changi’s top passenger markets.

The CEAs will complement the existing CSOs deployed at the information counters as they have the flexibility to roam the terminals and proactively approach passengers in need. In addition, each CEA is also equipped with an iPad with which they can retrieve information, such as the latest flight updates, store location, check-in gates etc, to help passengers with their specific requests.

Commenting on the new initiative, Mr Foo Sek Min, Executive Vice President, Changi Airport Group said, “At Changi Airport, we are constantly innovating to introduce new and enhanced services to provide convenience and address any gaps in services rendered to our passengers. The CEAs are deployed at locations with high passenger traffic and during peak periods where the busy environment can lead to high levels of stress for travellers. They are able to proactively assist passengers and are empowered to leave their positions and go the extra mile to assist these passengers.”

The new CEA initiative has been well-received. Four months since its inception, more than 290 compliments have been received from many passengers who are pleasantly surprised by the extra touch in the service provided.

Changi Contact Centre

From 15 August, all telephone lines for Changi Airport enquiries will be consolidated into a single number. Customers with enquiries on matters related to CAG or general airport matters will only have one number to remember – (65) 6595 6868.

Previously, passengers will call the information counters at each terminal or the main CAG corporate hotline for enquiries and to provide feedback. These calls could sometimes be routed from one counter to another automatically by the system if a CSO is engaged in serving a customer at that time. With the new one-stop 24/7 Changi Contact Centre (CCC), it is now more convenient for the public to contact Changi. The facility will have dedicated staff manning the calls.

Besides handling telephone calls from the public, the CCC will be equipped with a new state-of-the-art customer relationship management system that integrates all feedback and enquiries received from customers across different communications platforms – phone calls, website, feedback kiosks and physical forms. This is especially useful as many customers currently send enquiries via the web. With the introduction of the CCC, staff can reply immediately to simple enquiries or channel the feedback to the respective terminals and airport agencies for their follow up. This will result in a more streamlined approach and improve the quality of responses generated.

In addition, the system allows tracking of interaction with customers, which in turn personalises the service rendered and promotes efficiency for follow-up cases. For instance, the CCC staff would know if a caller has dialled in previously, and address the caller by his name. The background of the caller’s previous feedback would also be made easily available for the CCC staff’s reference.

Guest derek1979

hi we are hoping to be making the trip to oz next march and were considering stoppping off in singapore for a few days. I am finding it really hard to find suitable accomodation for 4 of us. We will have 2 mall kids with us a 1 & 3 year old. I have checked all the usual sites but very little choice comes up. Has anyone ever stayed @ Cosat Sands in east singapore or similar resorts and if so what they like. Any tips or info greatly appreciated.

Guest siamsusie

Hi there Derek, what sort of budget have you please?

I havent stayed there, I thought I had, it doesnt appear to have very good reviews!

I will always have a search for you if you would rather look elsewhere.

Susie x

Guest derek1979
Hi there Derek, what sort of budget have you please?

I have stayed there and enjoyed the hotel, Sentosa with the children is one of the best places to stay.

I will always have a search for you if you would rather look elsewhere.

Susie x

Hi Susie

Hoping to get something for around £400-£500 for 3 nights, once it has a swiming pool and is clean and not too far from airport ,not really worried about sight seeing too much as kids are too small to apprreciate it yet. Thanks

Guest siamsusie

900.00 SGD = 450.115 GBP That is for 3 nights

http://sentosa.amarahotels.com/

For a 5* Hotel this is excellent value, if you are not wanting to do too much.

Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa is a 140-room boutique resort in Singapore nested within 3.5 hectares of secluded tropical gardens on the hillside of Sentosa’s popular Palawan Beach.

A ten minute drive from the Central Business District on mainland Singapore, it is easily accessible for both business and leisure travellers.

Winner of Singapore Tatler Awards 2010 - Best Resort.

Winner of AsiaOne People's Choice Awards 2009 - Best Resort.

Winner of URA Architectural Heritage Awards 2007 - Category A.

A 140-room boutique resort on Singapore’s Sentosa Island, Amara Sanctuary Resort has uniquely retained elements of Singapore’s colonial architectural heritage, and combined this with contemporary design, a tropical landscape and a modern, casual yet elegant style. The resort offers luxurious accommodation, several innovative dining concepts, a gym, a unique concept spa, a state-of-the-art pillarless ballroom that can host large-scale meetings and events, and an all-purpose-built glass pavilion.

Shuttle: Pickup at Harbourfront, drop-off at Vivocity

Public Transport: Complimentary Sentosa bus & express train pass

I think Derek that the children will go free.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Susie x

Guest derek1979
900.00 SGD = 450.115 GBP That is for 3 nights

http://sentosa.amarahotels.com/

For a 5* Hotel this is excellent value, if you are not wanting to do too much.

Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa is a 140-room boutique resort in Singapore nested within 3.5 hectares of secluded tropical gardens on the hillside of Sentosa’s popular Palawan Beach.

A ten minute drive from the Central Business District on mainland Singapore, it is easily accessible for both business and leisure travellers.

Winner of Singapore Tatler Awards 2010 - Best Resort.

Winner of AsiaOne People's Choice Awards 2009 - Best Resort.

Winner of URA Architectural Heritage Awards 2007 - Category A.

A 140-room boutique resort on Singapore’s Sentosa Island, Amara Sanctuary Resort has uniquely retained elements of Singapore’s colonial architectural heritage, and combined this with contemporary design, a tropical landscape and a modern, casual yet elegant style. The resort offers luxurious accommodation, several innovative dining concepts, a gym, a unique concept spa, a state-of-the-art pillarless ballroom that can host large-scale meetings and events, and an all-purpose-built glass pavilion.

Shuttle: Pickup at Harbourfront, drop-off at Vivocity

Public Transport: Complimentary Sentosa bus & express train pass

I think Derek that the children will go free.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Susie x

Hi Susie

That the sort of thing we are looking for , will e-mail hotel and get a price and see if kids are included in price.

I can't believe I am asking this (I think my brain is focusing on the completely un-important as a way of coping with upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world and the amount of real stuff we still have to do!) but -

I was looking on the Singapore airlines website at the in flight entertainment, and noticed that there didn't really seem to be many English language films playing on the loooooong flight over? Am I just getting the wrong impression, or are there only a few? I cannot sleep on planes at all, so will be wide awake the whole time, and usually pass the time by watching back to back films (as I love a pants hollywood blockbuster but never get the time to watch them normally), will I struggle, is it better to go with Qantas or will I be ok with Singapore? Its a couple of hundred cheaper to go with SIA and everyone says how great they are, so we thought they would be great, but I'm just worried about films (how sad am I? lol)

Any feedback would be great, cheers guys :)

Guest siamsusie
I can't believe I am asking this (I think my brain is focusing on the completely un-important as a way of coping with upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world and the amount of real stuff we still have to do!) but -

I was looking on the Singapore airlines website at the in flight entertainment, and noticed that there didn't really seem to be many English language films playing on the loooooong flight over? Am I just getting the wrong impression, or are there only a few? I cannot sleep on planes at all, so will be wide awake the whole time, and usually pass the time by watching back to back films (as I love a pants hollywood blockbuster but never get the time to watch them normally), will I struggle, is it better to go with Qantas or will I be ok with Singapore? Its a couple of hundred cheaper to go with SIA and everyone says how great they are, so we thought they would be great, but I'm just worried about films (how sad am I? lol)

Any feedback would be great, cheers guys :)

:biggrin:There is a huge variety of English films on SQ Pixie.

If you also follow this link http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/flying-with-us/televisionlanding/ this will give you some good features also.

If you are ultra fussy, why not use your laptop and obtain some DVDs or one of the portable DVD players.

I have never been bored .

Susie x

Cheers Susie - I know I'm being ultra stupid on this one - I guess I just a) am burying my head in the sand over larger, actually important issues and b) want the whole thing to be perfect (which it obviously won't!) and want that to start with a perfect flight over lol - It's our honeymoon as well, so wanting it to be lovely (and hoping we win the lottery so we can upgrade as well lol!)

Many thanks again, think we will stick with SIA :D

Guest siamsusie
Cheers Susie - I know I'm being ultra stupid on this one - I guess I just a) am burying my head in the sand over larger, actually important issues and b) want the whole thing to be perfect (which it obviously won't!) and want that to start with a perfect flight over lol - It's our honeymoon as well, so wanting it to be lovely (and hoping we win the lottery so we can upgrade as well lol!)

Many thanks again, think we will stick with SIA :D

If you call SA Positive Pixie and inform them that it is your honeymoon, invaribly they will bring out the champers and a cake, and you never know.. sending them a copy of your marriage certs what they might arrange for you:wink:.

To be frank SA will be the perfect start to your marriage:hug:

Hi Susie

That the sort of thing we are looking for , will e-mail hotel and get a price and see if kids are included in price.

Jon and i stayed at the Fairmont (opposite Raffles) for 2 nights last Feb and they were great - and a good deal.

Plus the hotel is right near a train station so you don't need to Cab it!

(We got a cab from the airport so we could quiz the driver about places to go, but grabbed the train on the way back)

Lovely pool and amazing spa :)

** edit **

And it had the most incredible breakfast buffet I've ever seen. EVER :)

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie

Hoping to get something for around £400-£500 for 3 nights, once it has a swiming pool and is clean and not too far from airport ,not really worried about sight seeing too much as kids are too small to apprreciate it yet. Thanks

Typing in random dates of 5th March 2012 x 3 nights Derek

http://www.ebookers.com/hotels/Singapore/Singapore/Swissotel_Merchant_Court,_Singapore.h4946/?hotel.chkin=05%2F03%2F12&hotel.chkout=08%2F03%2F12&search=Search

This hotel is coming in at £393.52*

for 2 adults + 2 kiddies.

Near the shopping centre etc

• 2 weeks later...
im going over on a different visa... but this reply may help....

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to additional baggage allowance of 20 kilos, per passenger.

This additional baggage allowance is only granted on your first use of the visa hence our requirement for it to be unstamped, the visa will be verified by our check-in staff on your day of departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

• The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

• No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

The excess baggage charge Manchester to Melbourne is SGD80.00 per kilo equivalent to GBP40.00 approximately.

We hope the above information helps with your enquiry.

Thank you for flying Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

SIA UK

Did you have to do anything special when booking the flights to get this extra allowance? I know that now you don't get anything in your passport, do you just bring you visa granted letter with you and the airline can check the visa when they scan your passport?

Just trying to clarify as we will be looking to fly with SIA as they have had lots of positive reports on PIO and I know that we can get a migrant fare with Qantas through our removals company which gives us all an allowance of 40kg.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Siamsusie, thanks for the fantastic post... excited about the stopover too now! I just wondered if you could recommend a nice hotel that is family friendly? There seems so much to do there! Do you think it is worth going to Universal Studios? Look forward to hearing from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A couple of questions about Singapore Airlines:

1. How soon before a flight can we check in our bags (at Heathrow)? Could we check them in 36 hours before departure?

2. I've heard that some airlines provide child restraints. Do Singapore Airlines? Or do you have to buy and bring your own? Our kids are 4, 2 and 6 months.

3. If you sit at the front where the bassinet is, do you still get your own mini TV??

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

A couple of questions about Singapore Airlines:

1. How soon before a flight can we check in our bags (at Heathrow)? Could we check them in 36 hours before departure?

2. I've heard that some airlines provide child restraints. Do Singapore Airlines? Or do you have to buy and bring your own? Our kids are 4, 2 and 6 months.

3. If you sit at the front where the bassinet is, do you still get your own mini TV??

Thanks!

OK, lets see.

1. You need to contact SA at Heathrow to see if this is possible. I'd not bank on it however.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/checkin-airport/

You can do an online check in for SA flying from LHR. You can find the Heathrow site here

http://www.heathrowairport.com/

2. They should provide seatbelts. However, if your children are small the adult ones won't fit. At aged 2 (& 4 possibly also) I'd be looking to use your car seats anyways.

Read down the page a bit here. You'll need to check with the airline they'll fit in the seats, dimension wise. http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/wheelchair-mobility-aids/travelling-with-children/

You can request/book a bassinet for the baby. Priority tends to go to the youngest first if there are more babies than bassinets in my experience. However, this doesn't happen often.

Again, if you are concerned contact the airline direct with any queries about seatbelts for kids.

3. Bassinets tend to be at the front and in the middle of the economy section of the plane. Both times, yes you get a mini TV still. The arm is designed to swing round and fold back in the seats where the bassinets drop down usually.

As you have 3 children, you may find you won't get a row of 4 as you would be taking up 2 bassinet places then. What they will do is seat 2 of you in the bassinet row (one bassinet per two seats) and then 2 behind or to the other side of the aisle. So you'll still be in a row or group, just not in the row of 4 seats all in one go.

Again, if you have any concerns about any of this, just drop SA an email or give them a call. They are usually great at giving info and helping answer questions.

Hope that is of some help.

Archived