You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Piewie

Further training on 457 Visa

As a tradesman on a 457 visa there is a certain amount of re-training required to bring my skills up to par with the required norms in Australia. This includes having my VETASSESS assessment and skills assessed locally or RPL. My employer seems to be telling me that this is for my cost, I don't wholley disagree but expected some help with this considering that they knew everything about me prior to my sponsorship. Is this correct them asking me to pay? I have looked on the DIAC website and cannot find anything about further training.

Also included in my Contract of employment is a list of items that they will want me to repay should I end my contract before 3 years. One of these items is costs associated with getting my visa including agents fee. I have now found on the DIAC website that they cannot seek to recover these costs from me. ShouldI keep quiet and wait until such time that I wish to cease my contract and then argue the toss with them or let them know that they have made an error and maybe allow them to correct the mistake. (issue new contract).

Any help much appreceiated.:hug:

thats a fair condition to be included in your contract imho.

if you're not happy about it, then decline the contract.

Visa 885 applied on 29th Dec 2009, 2231-79 nec, CAT 4, Reassessed as 261312 (Developer Programmer) on Mar 2011, CO allocated on 6 Apr 2011. GRANTED on 8 Apr 2011!!

Yes I agree it is a fair item to be in a contract. That's why I signed the contract and why I am in Auz now. But that does not change the fact that it is against the law.