You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

HuwandDonna

Savings needed for Spouse Visa Approval?

Hi,

Does it make any difference to my partner's visa approval chance, if we have or have not got savings?

She is applying for the Spouse/Partner visa onshore here in the UK sometime in the near future and the above question crossed my mind?

We won't be going until I can guarantee work before hand, as we're not fortunate to have a decent savings fund at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Huw

I posit that they are more interested that you are partners than you are 'wealthy' partners - there is another visa category for that type of thing (I think)!

They are as interested in shared liabilities as they are shared assets.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

The issue is mainly that the australian/PR partner has to be able to support the immigrating partner in the event that the immigrating partner is out of work, as they won't be able to access benefits for the first two years. So they're looking for either savings, or evidence of employment/prospective employment. Doesn't have to be ridiculous amounts, they just need to know that the pair of you can financially survive those first couple of years somehow.

The issue is mainly that the australian/PR partner has to be able to support the immigrating partner in the event that the immigrating partner is out of work, as they won't be able to access benefits for the first two years. So they're looking for either savings, or evidence of employment/prospective employment. Doesn't have to be ridiculous amounts, they just need to know that the pair of you can financially survive those first couple of years somehow.

If they are concerned about the couples financial position they will ask for an Assurance of Support (which does not necessarily have to come from the Australian partner). Being able to demonstrate some savings/assets would help avoid being asked for an AoS.

I am not sure how many folk are asked for an AoS? Can anyone comment?

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

I applied for a spouse visa from the UK and neither of us have jobs to go to in Aus as yet, we showed at the time about £5000 (maybe less) in savings and said we hoped to have more when we went. It was never questioned and were not asked for AOS.

As part of my application I did send both our CV's & P60's for the last few years to show we would be able and willing to get work in Aus when we got there even though they are not asked for. I said we supported each other rather than him just support me in my statement.

The In laws statutory declarations also said they would help us if needed.

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011