You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest37336

What Was/Is/Might Be The Most Difficult Part Of Migrating?

Guest guest37336

Morning/Evening All.

As we know the migration procedure (journey) is one of many ups and downs, ones we can negotiate fairly easily and some we find a lot more difficult.

But in the grand scheme of things what for you personally was/is/might be the most difficult part.

Is it the paperwork, the 'choices', saying goodbye to family, arriving, settling, 'fitting in' money concerns, homesickness, anything that you have or will experience, what has been the hardest part?

On a very personal level I guess I am really lucky, having taken the 'dive' many moons ago the paperwork though difficult was relatively easy to overcome. My family were/are very supportive of me (in fact they often said, GO, :mad::wubclub:), and to a degree always managed to fine work no matter what it was.

I guess the most difficult part for me is realising that each time I go back my parents are getting older and I worry about them constantly, no matter how supportive they maybe. But some how I get through this with their love and support, and hey, 24 hours and if needed I could be back here like a shot, no matter what was going on in Australia.

I realise that to some this will be a fairly hypothetical question dependent on far into the migration process you are, but your concerns and worried are as valid at this point in time.

So in the grand scheme of things what or will you find the most difficult thing to overcome when we decode to embark on the journey that is migration?

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest siamsusie

:laugh: Evening Tony,

My main concern is that my children cant get a tourist visa before I take my last breath:biggrin:... it will bound to be on a Saturday evening with Hobart closed until the Monday!

For me leaving my my grandparents in Amsterdam and my London son.. the other son I see on a regular basis as he is Asia based.

Susie x

There were many hurdles along the way, but i guess the most difficult part was saying goodbye to family at the airport and again at the end of every visit...I know its morbid but it always crosses my mind that this goodbye could be the last.:sad:

Melanie x

Terry(43),Melanie(42),Ciara(14),Ruairi(10)

Started to look into PR Oct 08, 175 CSL visa lodged 4/7/09. Visa granted 14/1/10, Arrived in Brisbane 24/08/10 !!!!!:jiggy:

Guest guest37336

I would imagine that the vast majority of posts will be concerning missing family, could be wrong, but at the end of the day (to a degree) we can deal with the more 'peripheral' issues, but that gut wrenching ache that is missing loved ones is very, very, difficult to overcome in my experience.:cry:

The vast majority of us 'deal' with it in our own ways, and go on to lead a happy life in OZ, but nonetheless still bloody hard.

Guest guest36187

Saying goodbye to my Nan knowing that I would probably never see her again. (I didn't)

I think saying Goodbye is probably the toughest bit of the entire migration process. I thought it would be OK as i am not overally close to alot of my family , but OMG how wrong could i be!!!!

Arriving here , knowing no-one and not knowing which way to turn, which direction to travel or even where the nearest shop is ,is hard too and really makes you feel like an outsider for a while.

For me i think these 2 things were the toughest, oh and that first phone call back home to say we had arrived safely!! That was quite upsetting as it hit you that you had actually left EVERYONE and EVERYTHING familiar behind.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

For us migrating next year the hard things for us going are !( will update you when im there lol )

:eek:Being married to a civvie he leaves the forces 8th march we fly the 11th !( how wierd will it be to see my hubby home after 22 years of being in the forces):daydreaming:means i have to wake up everymorn with makeup on ( haha as if )

Saying catch you later to my dear Gran who is 85 thats going to hurt so much

Also because my parents are both disabled worrying that if anything happens i will be so faraway to help .

I have a sister who i will miss and feel a little guilty that i am leaving and possibly leaving her at somepoint to care for my parents when they get worse . Although im not that faraway and would drop everything grab the kids and fly if i was needed .

everythng else like where to live etc doesn't bother me thats a challenge for us lol and we love a challenge :yes:

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Guest Guest16631

..................I know leaving family behind is hard.....................especially elderly relatives.......but.....I could talk to them ....explain why.............keep in contact...........they could visit.............but had to leave a dog................one who had always gone with us ...grown up with the kids....................that was hard...................seeing his little face as he was left with good friends.....:cry:............he never did stop looking for us.....................lived a good life with new family if only for a short time..............my animals were hard to leave..................

This is the third foreign country for me (I am German and I lived in Germany, England and Italy before coming to Australia) but it has always been hard to leave my family behind! - Also, every time I go "home" (=Germany) I am extremely happy, and extremely sad when I have to say Goodbye again. Such is life.

And all those years I carry on worrying a lot about my family out there, even though I know that I might not be able to prevent anything bad from happening even if I lived next door.

But -

I do LiveMessenger quite a lot but alas it doesn't replace real persons! However, it's so lovely to be able to see my family that way at least, especially with that big a distance. And I know that would not have been possible a couple of years ago (neither would I have dreamed of leaving for Australia as I from the Eastern part of Germany)!

Of course it was my choice to leave my home country and I had several reasons to do so but no, it's not always easy - and not only because I don't see my family that often in person...

Morning/Evening All.

As we know the migration procedure (journey) is one of many ups and downs, ones we can negotiate fairly easily and some we find a lot more difficult.

But in the grand scheme of things what for you personally was/is/might be the most difficult part.

Is it the paperwork, the 'choices', saying goodbye to family, arriving, settling, 'fitting in' money concerns, homesickness, anything that you have or will experience, what has been the hardest part?

On a very personal level I guess I am really lucky, having taken the 'dive' many moons ago the paperwork though difficult was relatively easy to overcome. My family were/are very supportive of me (in fact they often said, GO, :mad::wubclub:), and to a degree always managed to fine work no matter what it was.

I guess the most difficult part for me is realising that each time I go back my parents are getting older and I worry about them constantly, no matter how supportive they maybe. But some how I get through this with their love and support, and hey, 24 hours and if needed I could be back here like a shot, no matter what was going on in Australia.

I realise that to some this will be a fairly hypothetical question dependent on far into the migration process you are, but your concerns and worried are as valid at this point in time.

So in the grand scheme of things what or will you find the most difficult thing to overcome when we decode to embark on the journey that is migration?

For us making the decision to go in the first place, and thinking about leaving our eldest daughter and grandchildren behind! The visa application etc, was a walk in the park compared to that! That and the decision to return :wubclub:

Oz is Beautiful, but the uk is home :wubclub:

Returned to Bournemouth 20th August 2010

Guest famousfive

For us the hardest part has been seeing our eldest daughter retreat into herself and become a very unhappy young lady......other than that the only other thing we have found hard is the nosedive our quality of life has taken due to a very big drop in disposable income compared to what we were used to.

Paperwork was not that hard, homesickness comes and goes, and saying goodbye always sucks.:sad:

Missing family is always tough - especially when, like has been said before, they are not getting any younger. My grandparents travelled loads in their day, in fact nearly the only place they haven't lived in is Aus!! They just tell me they love me (someone has to!:tongue:) and to go and live my life and be happy. But make sure I am happy, or else I can come home and live with them!

Then there are friends - I find making new friends very hard. I have always had very few close friends as opposed to a large group of mates.

But the hardest, for me, has been settling down this time around. I had a great job in Melbourne, made a few friends, and felt settled pretty quickly. Now that we have moved, I am having a pretty hard time with work and that is really affecting how settled I feel in Aus in general.

Guest thesalmons

Waaaa :em4600: !! Im getting sad just reading this post and thinking of having to say bye-bye to my family and friends, I never say goodbye cause that is too final !!

Morning/Evening All.

Having to bring my wife with me was rather distressing for me..................:wink:

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This thread is us ............. now .............. this is what is holding us up ................. a number of things .............. mainly leaving family and friends, i can't force my family to go and they just can't face it, or make a decision and having 5 years of PR visa life isn't always a good thing, my family don't have to make the tough decision, because we still have well over 3 years left to decide. We are well off and it will definately be harder for us in Australia, but ............... i want it really bad and all i can hope for is that my family decide to go, but i can't call it ........... i would say its 60/40 against at the moment, but when the end of the visa creeps nearer i think their attitudes will change, well .............. i'm hoping so.

Guest MontyClaude

We were actually having this conversation the other day. I didn't realise how "lucky" I was about the things I was stressed about, finding new jobs, a place to rent that will accept pets, sorting out furntiure arrival etc...all very short term stuff and to be honest almost all related to money in one way or another. When I said this to my OH he was delighted, which I found a bit odd, but he explained that he would love for me to feel this way rather than about the emotional aspect, at least he can help with my stresses. For me it's quite easy, my parents are gone, I have no immediate family, my aunt who I'm very close to is moving away this year too and my OH left his home country to live with me 11 years ago so has been away from his family all that time anyway, with frequent visits but still away. It'll still be tough to say goodbye but compared to most we have it easy. Last time we went I missed my cat, that's why all the animals are coming now!

We have no real emotional ties no matter where we live, this has always been a negative to me, finally it has a positive side!

What Was The Most Difficult Part Of Migrating? Having to pay £10...It was equal to a week's pay. Cheers, Bobj.

Leaving a lifetime of contacts and trying to find new ones, i.e. plumber, electrician, work contacts, etc. Although family is by far the biggest. The rest you muddle by but you can't replace family.

Guest stockies

This is quite an easy question to answer, but hard to put into words.......

Nothing can prepare you for the way you feel when you leave Family, but I dont think for us this was the worst bit. As Skype helps loads as you can actually see each other and talk too.

The hardest bit for us was, after all the excitement of moving here has worn off and you see things how it is warts and all, and realising this is how its all going to be...

And even harder is dealing with family issues while you are here.. eg Death of a MIL and being the only child and having to deal with it . My Father right now back in the Uk is so ill , this is when it is all hard. Everything else just seems to drift into place..... Well this is my opinion anyway. !!!!

Claire. xx

Guest brummie39

We agree with "Famous five"...

Seeing our 8 year old son, 9 months in still crying and missing England. We have tried to get him in clubs, which he just goes through the motions. Every morning he says he has a belly ache and doesnt want to go to school. We are at a loss on how to ease his heart ache.

We know how he feels, we dont enjoy being here, as our life style has declined finacially, no group of friends we have clicked with yet. Family here seem far to busy to reconise our despair.

So we have decided with many long nights of discussion, that we are moving back to england.

Have also come to see, that no family member, working long hours 6 days week, is worth our sons unhappiness. We just know deep down, this is not for us or our son. We love Australia, but in our point of view, it is for the rich and wealthy...

Guest guest30038

Leaving all this behind............broke my heart. I miss nothing other than the mountains of Lakeland, Snowdonia, and Scotland.....................oh and the sausages! :rolleyes:

Australia is wonderful and has been very kind to us, but hardly a day goes by that I don't think of the UK scenery. Hopefully, Tassie may beckon in Bridget's retirement..................if I'm alive then.

IMG_1947%20__-1300.jpg

Guest TaniaandRob

The hardest thing in moving to Oz is saying good bye to everyone in the UK and missing the everyday things like watching the nephews grow up....

Well we're only 6 weeks into our new life but I have to say I completely underestimated how hard it would be not to have our belongings around us.

Bowling about in a near empty house whilst the rest of the family are at work sucks :goofy:

Angie.... a work in progress!

I left Australia for Ireland three and a half years ago and saying goodbye to my terminally ill Grandad was so, so hard. It still upsets me to think about. And I don't think I have grieved for him properly even still - I miss everybody back home, but it won't be until I am back there and he isn't there anymore that it will begin to feel real.

My Irish OH and I are moving back to Australia next year and I can't even begin to imagine how it will feel seeing him say goodbye to his family. And knowing that he is giving up everything for me.

Guest Bag End Bunch

For me it's family and friends. We've been here two years and have missed a wedding, birth and funeral - too hard.

Also the sense of not belonging and not feeling 'at home'. We love our life in our little country WA town - we have one and a half acres and I've fulfilled my dream of having chickens, alpacas and sheep. We work in a little school and I have 12 in my class (fab!). Our town is the friendliest place and people have been super. But when we head out of our piece of paradise we don't like WA suburbia very much! We miss all sorts of little things which add up to a big thing. Hard to describe.

We've decided to enjoy life to the full for the next 4/5 years till our kids have been through high school and then head back to the UK so they can do university. They'd have more choice and opportunities there we think.

We've realised we're more British than we thought and nothing is more important to us than our family and friends.