What pet carrier to use from Ireland???

Guest casey valentine

Guest casey valentine

Can anyone reccommend a good pet carrier in Ireland?:animal-dog:

Anyone give any indication on the price? We have a king charles cavalier!

We've thought about not bringing her and leaving her with family as we are going out on a 457. I know the kids would be devastated!

Anyone leave there dog at home when they emigrated??

:no:

Thanks

Hello!!

Im also bringing my dog from Dublin to Sydney. I found two companies that ship pets from Dublin both of which I got quotes off for my little fella. It all depends on the weight, height and length of the dog. I have a mini Dach and was quoted roughly the same from both of them for around €2500.

One is based in Dublin airport, and it's called airsea.ie and the other is K international. Both were very friendly and helpful. They both send the dog to heathrow animal reception centre first where the dog will stay over night and is flown to Singapore where the plane refuels, i was told its usually about an hour stop, then its on to oz.

I personally or my partner cant bear the thought of leaving our baby behind!!

I hope this is of some help to you!

Guest casey valentine
Hello!!

Im also bringing my dog from Dublin to Sydney. I found two companies that ship pets from Dublin both of which I got quotes off for my little fella. It all depends on the weight, height and length of the dog. I have a mini Dach and was quoted roughly the same from both of them for around €2500.

One is based in Dublin airport, and it's called airsea.ie and the other is K international. Both were very friendly and helpful. They both send the dog to heathrow animal reception centre first where the dog will stay over night and is flown to Singapore where the plane refuels, i was told its usually about an hour stop, then its on to oz.

I personally or my partner cant bear the thought of leaving our baby behind!!

I hope this is of some help to you!

Thanks for that info! It was really helpful!

I hate the thoughts of leaving our baby too, but I am thinking I am going to be overwhelmed with the move and trying to get our 4 children into school. At the moment we live in the country and it will be such a big change to us all to move to the suburbs of a big city!!!

Anyway I have another year to think it over as me and the kids will not be going until summer 2012, but my husband will be going in August/September.

Thanks again:animal-dog:

Guest sallyhen

Hi we are using pets on the move and they are great, they are working with our vet and all we do is turn up and they matched the best price we had been offered.:spinny:

Admin Note: This post originates from the same static IP address that 'Pets on the move' use. The same IP address has also been used by another member to promote the company in question. Members are free to draw their own conclusions.

Guest donnie

Hi we also in same prediciment have a loving cocker spaniel thats like a brother to my 3 girls ha! But plan now to leave with my parents for 6 mths to see how we get on over there. If doing well we will send him out got costs from 2000 with airsea.

Guest Miss Vaughan

We used K International to transport our mini-schnauzer to Sydney last December. Had to deal with a missed connection and an overnight stay at Heathrow due to a technical problem with her plane in Dublin and throughout this Kevin was brilliant. She lost a little weight on the the flight which we were told to expect as they burn calories shivering etc. but we'd fattened her up a bit before hand and she was fine. Quarantine went pretty quickly, went and visited her once on arrival to make sure she was ok. She was in Sydney, the staff were amazing. She was really well looked after. We used http://www.dogwalks.com.au and they went twice a week to walk her, play etc. Not too expensive and was less upsetting for her and us!

We're so happy we brought her, has really helped us settle in. Particularly our 9 yr old daughter would have been lost without her. Something to consider though if you decide to come back to Ireland, as we are, animals need a rabies shot. Makes no sense of course but that's how it is. You then need to wait 6 months before travel or do quarantine back in Uk/Ireland... or part there of. Basically get it done before you leave ala the Pet Passport scheme. Hope this helps.

Hi Miss Vaughan!!

Its great to see someone from Ireland that has already done it!!

I cant get my head around all the paper work, our own visa apps are less complicated!!

Did K-intenational guide you through the paperwork because I have'nt a clue where to start or what I'm supposed to do first, it's all so daunting and I'm terrified of making a mistake in the paperwork!

I badly need help!!!!! :confused:

Guest Miss Vaughan

Our vet did most of the initial paperwork actually as most of it is related to the dog's health etc. The forms are essentially in two parts.

Part A is to be completed by your vet and it's related to the results of the blood tests etc.

Part B is done by a government vet that will meet you and your agent at the freight hanger of dublin airport on the day your animal flies.

The agent will organise all this.

Another thing we did is get the crate a few weeks beforehand . It's pretty big but I had it in the back of my car. MPV... and anytime we went anywhere I put Sybil into it. By the time she flew she loved the security of the box when travelling. Always went to the back of the car wanting to get in!

I'm more than happy to explain further via skype or phone etc. if you want to pm me and I can also reccomend the vet that I used in Palmerstown if it's in anyway handy. She was brilliant too.

Our vet did most of the initial paperwork actually as most of it is related to the dog's health etc. The forms are essentially in two parts.

Part A is to be completed by your vet and it's related to the results of the blood tests etc.

Part B is done by a government vet that will meet you and your agent at the freight hanger of dublin airport on the day your animal flies.

The agent will organise all this.

Another thing we did is get the crate a few weeks beforehand . It's pretty big but I had it in the back of my car. MPV... and anytime we went anywhere I put Sybil into it. By the time she flew she loved the security of the box when travelling. Always went to the back of the car wanting to get in!

I'm more than happy to explain further via skype or phone etc. if you want to pm me and I can also reccomend the vet that I used in Palmerstown if it's in anyway handy. She was brilliant too.

Thats fantastic advice!! Thank you so much!!

I currently use a vet in Celbridge think I'll visit him for a chat and see if he's done this before, if not I'll check out that vet in Palmerston coz I'm only in Lucan myself.

How long did it take to get all Sybils paperwork sorted? I've been putting it off and I think it's time for me to get started on it as we're aiming to leave around March/April.

Thanks!!

Guest Miss Vaughan

You've loads of time. Your best spot for info is the Oz quarantine department, AQIS. Here is a link to there page with all the info you need for Ireland.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat2/info-pack-2

First thing you have to do is apply for an import permit from them. I think they're valid for 6 months from issue but don't quote me! You apply online and it'll be issued in a few weeks. Once you've that you contact the relevent quarantine station in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth and make a tentative booking. They'll need the import permit number. Dog can be microchipped at any stage if not already. All the Irish microchips comply to the Oz mirochip readers. When they send the import permit it will contain all the vet forms, print it out and your vet will just fill them out a couple of days before you go. Contact your vet straight away though as there is some stuff to do earlier in the process. They lay it out chronologically for you so no worries there. There's some timing things to get right in that the tic and parasite treatments need to be done in a window just before your pet travels but again it's all pretty well explained in the AQIS documents. One of the really good things about Oz you'll find is that everything is always very methodical and well explained. Makes life easier for sure.

Good luck, let me know how you get on...

Hi we also in same prediciment have a loving cocker spaniel thats like a brother to my 3 girls ha! But plan now to leave with my parents for 6 mths to see how we get on over there. If doing well we will send him out got costs from 2000 with airsea.

we flew our cocker spaniel from Manchester to panama 2008 and are curently selling his air crate - all legite and approved by airlines - are you interested in buyinh it £40. Only used twice

You've loads of time. Your best spot for info is the Oz quarantine department, AQIS. Here is a link to there page with all the info you need for Ireland.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat2/info-pack-2

First thing you have to do is apply for an import permit from them. I think they're valid for 6 months from issue but don't quote me! You apply online and it'll be issued in a few weeks. Once you've that you contact the relevent quarantine station in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth and make a tentative booking. They'll need the import permit number. Dog can be microchipped at any stage if not already. All the Irish microchips comply to the Oz mirochip readers. When they send the import permit it will contain all the vet forms, print it out and your vet will just fill them out a couple of days before you go. Contact your vet straight away though as there is some stuff to do earlier in the process. They lay it out chronologically for you so no worries there. There's some timing things to get right in that the tic and parasite treatments need to be done in a window just before your pet travels but again it's all pretty well explained in the AQIS documents. One of the really good things about Oz you'll find is that everything is always very methodical and well explained. Makes life easier for sure.

Good luck, let me know how you get on...

You are an absolute star!!! Thank you so so much, I just had no idea where to start, I really appreciate your help!

I'll let ya know how I get on!:smile:

• 5 months later...
Hi we are using pets on the move and they are great, they are working with our vet and all we do is turn up and they matched the best price we had been offered.:spinny:

Admin note: The above member works for Pets on the Move (confirmed by registration IP address) so the impartiality of this post *may* be in question.