Shipping Motorbike - Waiting for Import Authority??

Gibsons

Can someone please shed some light on a situation that I have.....

I have applied (3 weeks ago) for a Vehicle Import Authority for my ZX9-R motorcycle and am awaiting the approval from the guys in Infrastructure.gov in Canberra. I have called them and they just say it is being processed......

My 457 is through & we are flying on 22nd June to Sydney (I start my job on 4/7/11)

John Mason are coming Monday 20th to pack and then put into the container everything on the 21st - Motorcycle included......

I am under no doubt that the VIA will come as there is no reason for it not to, however, I cannot get a definitive answer as to when it will arrive.....

I am informed by the authorities in Canberra that the VIA is posted to an Australian address, not emailed.

If I don't ship the bike with the rest of my belongings then I will obviously have to ship it separately and then face a big bill for doing so.....at present the cost for my container includes the bike......

What do I do??? Ship the bike with my belongings and then when the VIA arrives before the bike send it to the relevant people in Sydney......or leave it in the UK and face a separate shipping cost????

I know it is an offence to try to import the bike without the VIA, but what are the consequences of shipping it before the VIA arrives???

Please help me out........

Hi the Gibsons

I am interested in this thread as we have just received confirmation of our SS and are on the verge of submitting our application to DIAC. I have a 954 Blade which I would love to take with us subject to DIAC visa being granted. Sorry Im not of help to you on this thread but this is an area I will be very interested in shortly - fingers crossed.

How long have you bee waiting for the VIA? What are Canberra charging you by way of an import tax? Just to give me an idea.

Best wishes and good luck

Good luck with your question.

Breezer

Hi mate,

OK, the crack is that it takes about 15 working days to be processed from receipt, apparently you can email the application in, I don't believe that you can supply too much documentation for this!

There isn't an import tax as such but a state tax of 25% of the market value, it's all on the website for the 'Personal Import Scheme'

The app is $50.

My import authority was granted on Friday morning so happy days! Shipping co. in tomorrow....