Can I sell my car that is in my partners name???

Amy Rose

Does anyone know the answer?

I have to sell my car in 2 weeks before I come over to Australia but it is in my partners name and he is already in Australia! I have never sold a car before...will I need his signature or something!!! this has just dawned on me:wacko:

Is his name on the registration document? As in when its sold, its his name as the current keeper? If so, it may well be you'll need his sig on it. I can't recall but it used to be the new keeper could send off the forms but I don't think they allow that anymore. Its on the current keeper to send in paperwork also as they sign also.

Have a read of the reg document and see what it requires is best. Then if your partner needs to do anything you have a bit of time to work out what to do.

I sold my wife's car to a dealer a few years back and they were happy to accept without her signature. Of course the fact we were buying a car from them may have helped but it shows it can be done.

I'd think a private buyer would be very dubious about buying a car privately if the person on the registration document wasn't there however.

I'd think a private buyer would be very dubious about buying a car privately if the person on the registration document wasn't there however.

We found this to be the case as well. My husband had to speak to the new owner numerous times from Australia so that the buyer knew we were on the up and up.

The registered keeper of the car doesn't have to be the owner of it though. Although many people like to see the same name on the paperwork.

So long as its signed by the regged keeper on the paperwork section of it being sold it should be fine. But yes, some people can be a bit funny about this.

Archived