You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hayley723

Do you need to send your passports off when granted a 176?

Hi Everyone,

Last week we were granted our 176 visas. Just wondering whether its best to send our passports off with the visa grant letter or not bother as the visa is electronically linked to our passports anyway?

Some people have said its best to send the passports off to have the visa label put in as its better when getting jobs etc. The only thing is we are flying out to Perth on 28th June so I don’t want to risk the passports getting lost. I know this prob wont happen & they do say it’s a 3 working day turnaround but you never know!!

What does everyone else do?

2failed TRA-June/Aug 10,AQFIII gained-11/10/10,TRA passed-15/11/10,WA SS applied-22/12/10,WA SS approved-9/02/11,176(paper) lodged-04/03/11,co assigned-02/05/11,Visa granted-10/06/11

I wouldn't put my passport in the post if I knew I needed it within a short period. You can go in person to Australia House (but they're only open 9am to 11am I think). However you don't need the visa stamp to get in to Australia. If you find you do need it to help you get jobs you can get a stamp put in at a DIAC office when you're in Australia.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Ok that’s great thanks Ken. I wont bother sending them off then its too risky!!

2failed TRA-June/Aug 10,AQFIII gained-11/10/10,TRA passed-15/11/10,WA SS applied-22/12/10,WA SS approved-9/02/11,176(paper) lodged-04/03/11,co assigned-02/05/11,Visa granted-10/06/11