Typical timeline for people

Guest OzScouser

Guest OzScouser

Hi All,

Me and my fiancee have recently decided that after four years we are going to head back home. We are just about to start a family and can't see any other way as we don't have the support we would have back home. We have had a fantastic time over the four years, and we will be going back with citizenship secured.

We are thinking about going back in March. We have to go back for a wedding then. I am then thinking of coming back out by myself, selling our apartment, giving in my notice, arranging for the removal of our furniture back home, then moving back myself.

Just wondering what had been peoples experiences with doing the same, what things you hadn't considered that maybe caught you out? How you went about renting/buying back home? We will have about 100k in equity going back the UK, but I am concerned about securing a mortgage with having no history back there. I am also interested to know about shipping and storing? has anyone shipped a reasonable amount of furniture and been able to store is for several months back in the UK?

Any advice, tips would be great.

Thanks,

Darren

Guest Unha99Y
It is. We miss home and we are told that they miss us dearly :) I hope so anyway :)

We are in the same timeline as you, moving back in the spring too. All the very best

Guest OzScouser

Have you made any plans yet? Do you have any budgets for the things you plan and any plans for accommodation (rental/purchase) when you get back?

Guest Unha99Y
Have you made any plans yet? Do you have any budgets for the things you plan and any plans for accommodation (rental/purchase) when you get back?

The shipping quotes are being done at present. We will find a 6 month rental from here before we move then buy a property after that. There are a number of banks that offer expat mortgages.

We have also made a list of items we need to buy while we wait for our container (8 weeks)

We are ordering items we need ie kitchen utensils etc from Tesco online and having everything delivered to family. Make sure you order a clubcard online for your points :)

Guest OzScouser

Have you had any quotes back yet? Where did you get the info on the 'expat mortgages'?? I am a little concerned about having no recent credit history back in the UK.

With respect to the container, please ignore my ignorance here, is the container simply brought to your home and loaded here? Or are your items removed in a van then loaded elsewhere?

Guest Unha99Y
Have you had any quotes back yet? Where did you get the info on the 'expat mortgages'?? I am a little concerned about having no recent credit history back in the UK.

With respect to the container, please ignore my ignorance here, is the container simply brought to your home and loaded here? Or are your items removed in a van then loaded elsewhere?

As long as you have a decent deposit you will be fine, I believe the Halifax offer great rates on expat mortgages. Just give it a google.

The lowest quote so far is Crown at $6500 self pack as my wife prefers self packing. As far as I am aware they remove by van then pack into a container

Hi All,

Me and my fiancee have recently decided that after four years we are going to head back home. We are just about to start a family and can't see any other way as we don't have the support we would have back home. We have had a fantastic time over the four years, and we will be going back with citizenship secured.

We are thinking about going back in March. We have to go back for a wedding then. I am then thinking of coming back out by myself, selling our apartment, giving in my notice, arranging for the removal of our furniture back home, then moving back myself.

Just wondering what had been peoples experiences with doing the same, what things you hadn't considered that maybe caught you out? How you went about renting/buying back home? We will have about 100k in equity going back the UK, but I am concerned about securing a mortgage with having no history back there. I am also interested to know about shipping and storing? has anyone shipped a reasonable amount of furniture and been able to store is for several months back in the UK?

Thanks,

Darren

Hi Darren,

We have been back almost 10 months, and with the help of a no fee financial advisor we have managed to secure a mortgage! We were lucky to be able to buy a small property on our return outright, So have a fairly big equity to put down, but still difficult to secure a mortgage as they want a certain amount of earnings proof! ( my o/h is sub contracted) which didn't help!

Happy to pm you the details of the financial guy, as some do charge a fee, which can be anything up to 1k.

I was just about to write the same as Dawny - go to see an independent mortgage advisor, they are worth their money in gold. I have changed my mortgage 3 times over 10yrs with mine, he doesn't charge as the banks pay him. I like independent ones as they don't push you towards one company, they look at all of them.

Good luck

Hi we have been back 10 monthe also. Lived in Brissy for 5 years and came home to Liverpool in aug 2010. We used Kent Removals for our container and they were absolutely Brilliant could not fault them at all Micheal was the guys name (he may not be there now, but you could try) We used Jetpets for our 2 dogs, and they were also Great.

We secured our morgage and bought a property whilst we were still over in Aus we used a broker and he got us an expat morgage with the Halifax.

We kept our bank accounts going here in my mums address which i think really helped with credit ratings and stuff. We did have to put down 30% of the morgage though.

and we kept the morgage on interest only for a while until we found our feet. (240 quid a month on 96,000 quid) not bad when we were paying $700 per week morgage in aus. We have a lovely house now on the outskirts of Liverpool and could not be happier, the kids are still amazed that we have so mant relatives, aunties, uncles, cousins, and my calendar is chocker block all the time with 30th, 40th Weddings, communions, christenings ect ect. we had no problems fitting back into life here. u do find lots of people saying "OMG what ave u come back HERE for, u mist be mental" but we are used to it now. our move went amazingly smooth, with a lot of organisation and timing, we were amazed how smooth it went. we love our family and friends here, and no-one including us will ever take that away again.....

If you need anymore help or advice just PM me and I will help ya were I can. Its very stressful and u spend a lot of time organising, jumbling money around ect ect. But its worth every minute. If your family mean more than sun, sea, sand and loneliness. then you are doing the right thing HONEST.

Take care and Good luck with you planning and organising.

:biggrin:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Darren

This thread should be very helpful for myself and my OH too, as we are in a similar situation. We are hoping to head back towards the end of next year, so it's great to benefit from the wisdom (piggyback) of those who have already made the move back.

At least you are being realistic in your reasons for moving home. I have a 7 month old and I have to say it's been quite hard going having no close friends/family around for moral support, etc (most of the good friends we made here live in Sydney or further afield and we are in Melbourne now). I didn't anticipate the lonliness as I'm quite self sufficient and independent but you don't know what will happen during your birth or afterwards, and how you will feel. Maybe too much info, but I had quite a difficult birth and emergency c-section, followed by terrible difficulties breast feeding and the first weeks following my sons birth were pretty awful. On a positive note it's all a distant memory now! At least you are forward planning so you can have maximum support. It's not to say you wouldn't manage, but it is just alot more difficult. In ante-natal classes people used to say they didn't want their families coming around all the time interferring and whilst I understood where they were coming from, I used to think to myself you are bloody lucky to have such caring family around you!

I wish you lots of luck with the move back and look forward to hearing how your preparations go. Sorry I don't have any practical info to pass on!

Kirsty

Hi we have been back 10 monthe also. Lived in Brissy for 5 years and came home to Liverpool in aug 2010. We used Kent Removals for our container and they were absolutely Brilliant could not fault them at all Micheal was the guys name (he may not be there now, but you could try) We used Jetpets for our 2 dogs, and they were also Great.

We secured our morgage and bought a property whilst we were still over in Aus we used a broker and he got us an expat morgage with the Halifax.

We kept our bank accounts going here in my mums address which i think really helped with credit ratings and stuff. We did have to put down 30% of the morgage though.

and we kept the morgage on interest only for a while until we found our feet. (240 quid a month on 96,000 quid) not bad when we were paying $700 per week morgage in aus. We have a lovely house now on the outskirts of Liverpool and could not be happier, the kids are still amazed that we have so mant relatives, aunties, uncles, cousins, and my calendar is chocker block all the time with 30th, 40th Weddings, communions, christenings ect ect. we had no problems fitting back into life here. u do find lots of people saying "OMG what ave u come back HERE for, u mist be mental" but we are used to it now. our move went amazingly smooth, with a lot of organisation and timing, we were amazed how smooth it went. we love our family and friends here, and no-one including us will ever take that away again.....

If you need anymore help or advice just PM me and I will help ya were I can. Its very stressful and u spend a lot of time organising, jumbling money around ect ect. But its worth every minute. If your family mean more than sun, sea, sand and loneliness. then you are doing the right thing HONEST.

Hi

Glad to hear that things are working out for you back home. We have been here for 5 years also in Brisbane, what part of Brisbane did you guys live? We will more than likely be stuck here for another 18 months before moving back.

Glad to hear that Jetpets were ok, ive had a quote from them that was ok!

All the best for the future!

Guest Sancha2
. We have a lovely house now on the outskirts of Liverpool and could not be happier, the kids are still amazed that we have so mant relatives, aunties, uncles, cousins, and my calendar is chocker block all the time with 30th, 40th Weddings, communions, christenings ect ect. we had no problems fitting back into life here. u do find lots of people saying "OMG what ave u come back HERE for, u mist be mental" but we are used to it now. our move went amazingly smooth, with a lot of organisation and timing, we were amazed how smooth it went. we love our family and friends here, and no-one including us will ever take that away again.....

Thank you so much, your post was so lovely to read. I am so happy for you and your family.

We have been here for 11 years in that time have had 3 kids and it has been very hard and yes for me very lonely. I am from a huge family and i can't wait for my kids to be with them all. We are going home in November and after reading your post feel even more excited about it.

Good Luck with everything :cute:

Guest Unha99Y
Thank you so much, your post was so lovely to read. I am so happy for you and your family.

We have been here for 11 years in that time have had 3 kids and it has been very hard and yes for me very lonely. I am from a huge family and i can't wait for my kids to be with them all. We are going home in November and after reading your post feel even more excited about it.

Good Luck with everything :cute:

The very best to you Sancha:hug:

Good luck to you OzScouser. We are hoping to be back Aug/Sept after 5 yrs in Perth, we have x2 kids under 5 yrs & have to say it has been very, very challenging trying to bring them up, with no family/close friends/ social/support network. Only thing that has caught us out so far, is from the decision being made to the actual down-time of getting back to Uk. (longer than we anticpated & being in limbo is hard going) House market in Perth is slow but you are in Sydney so you should be ok?

It is pretty stressful waiting for our house to sell & also our youngest has just learned to walk, so it is crazy trying to keep up with our near on 5 yr old who is only in school 2 days a week & a toddler!! whilst trying to sell a house & re-locate!

Fantastic post possie in Brissy, now I really can't wait to get home! We really realise what we had back there & probably took us being over here to recognise it & appreciate it. Didn't start that way, but seems to have become a terribly lonely/insular life, the longer we are here & I really don't want that for our kids. Joined mothers groups/playgroups/community groups/worked part-time etc & have got out & about & met many other people over the years but nothing sticks. Has been a fantastic adventure & you learn alot about yourself but it just feels right to be moving back. Great hearing you have settled in so well over there. :)

Thanks "sunshine" you will be glad to know it has been just that lately in North Liverpool SUNSHINE most days and 10.15pm the sun goes down (nightmare for kids going to bad if you dont have black out blinds) But Fantastic for us having BBQ's on our aussie BBQ. everyone is amazed by our BBQ, which we got from Bunnings for about $250 and a similar one is 450quid here. so make sure you bring a barbie with ya lOl....

I know how you feel with the "trying everything, and nothing sticks thing" I felt numb/bored/lifeless/mundane/ Homesick can cause all kinds of emotions, and can change you as a person. It did change my way of thinking towards my family even my in-laws in the end LOL. I really appreciate everything they do for us now, and savour every moment with each and everyone. Most importantly I love it when my door bell goes and its my mum/sister/cousin/ or even the friendly neighbour or postman. I used to dream my mum or relative would knock on my door in aus, They came over many times on ARRANGED visits lots though!!!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world with your move I have 2 kids too (12 and 8) and they love being home!!!! I know it seems hard to arrange an international move with kids hanging off ya neck but sometimes I would be up till 3am on the phone to my morgage advisor in the UK or family memebers helping us look for a house ect.... But it worth every second, when you board that plane to a life back with your fambo.... (bad weather, crime, credit crunch, ect ect) has no relavance if you want to be were the heart is.

Take care and keep Smiling :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi

Glad to hear that things are working out for you back home. We have been here for 5 years also in Brisbane, what part of Brisbane did you guys live? We will more than likely be stuck here for another 18 months before moving back.

Glad to hear that Jetpets were ok, ive had a quote from them that was ok!

All the best for the future!

we were Northside Brissy, not far from Redcliffe, northlakes (also known as Little Britain) Were are you guys???? Good Luck with the move!!!!:hug:

I really enjoyed reading your post. Did you or oh have a job to go back to?

sunni x

• 2 weeks later...

no we didnt have jobs to go to sunni, but we didnt ave jobs to go too when we emigrated to Aus and that didnt stop us going !!!!! so having no jobs to come home too, didnt stop us either. the thing is...... it was much easier to get jobs back home because, all quals were recognised, "its not what you know, its who you know" kinda thing and we ave sooo much family friends, friends of friends, previous colleagues ect, it just seemed "easier" than being in an ALIEN place with ALIEN people who could not understand you, didnt recognise your qualifications, thought it was too much hassle to obtain references from overseas and basically didnt wanna emply you anyway as they would much prefer "one of thier own" JUST MY OPINION!!!!!! that was what both myself and hubby found, obviously it is not applicable to all. We both found work within 2 months, hubby within 4 weeks myself probably 10 weeks but that was purely down to it being summer holidays and i work in the education sector. but found it pretty easy and have since been offered other positions and both been offered promotions. So its how much you want it, and how hard you are prepared to try to get back on that ladder.

Good luck to all those who are taking the step in eithier direction.

Once u find your happy medium, happiness follows xxxx