Avoiding the medicare levy surcharge

cubiq4

I'm on a 457 visa. I currently have no private healthcare insurance as have the reciprocal medicare health care so choose not to.

I do however earn just over $100k so it may make sense for me to get some kind of healthcare if it will cost in the region of $1000(-+500) for the year and can avoid the medicare levy SURCHARGE of 1%. So I either want some extra cover as compared to medicare or a saving on the surcharge so I get some more cash in the pocket.

I did look into this at one point but found it hard to find a policy I could get as a non permanent resident that wasn't in excess of $2000. I also believe that the 30% govemnet rebate is not applicable as a non PR. Correct?

So does anyone have any experience on this?

nib seems to offer the 'basic saver' policy that is advertised as avoiding the MLS for $955. Last time I spoke to them I couldn't get a straight answer if it was suitable for me however and said I may also need the overseas cover provided by IMAN.

I also can't work out if that actually gives me anything useful in addition to the reciprocal medicare.

Also if I got this this financial year and paid for the whole year going forward could that be offset against this years MLS or is it prorated for the cover period in this financial year?

Thanks.

Guest siamsusie

Just to welcome you to Poms In Oz.

I hope you enjoy our forum.. someone will be along soon to answer your questions hopefully.

Best wishes

Susie x

I'm on a 457 visa. I currently have no private healthcare insurance as have the reciprocal medicare health care so choose not to.

I do however earn just over $100k so it may make sense for me to get some kind of healthcare if it will cost in the region of $1000(-+500) for the year and can avoid the medicare levy SURCHARGE of 1%. So I either want some extra cover as compared to medicare or a saving on the surcharge so I get some more cash in the pocket.

I did look into this at one point but found it hard to find a policy I could get as a non permanent resident that wasn't in excess of $2000. I also believe that the 30% govemnet rebate is not applicable as a non PR. Correct?

So does anyone have any experience on this?

nib seems to offer the 'basic saver' policy that is advertised as avoiding the MLS for $955. Last time I spoke to them I couldn't get a straight answer if it was suitable for me however and said I may also need the overseas cover provided by IMAN.

I also can't work out if that actually gives me anything useful in addition to the reciprocal medicare.

Also if I got this this financial year and paid for the whole year going forward could that be offset against this years MLS or is it prorated for the cover period in this financial year?

Thanks.

It might be worth your while to go and see a tax accountant. You can claim for the cost from your tax rebate and we've found it well worth it.

They know all the tricks of what you can and can't claim for, not just on the medicare levy either. It might save you a fortune if you are going to be here long term. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread because we're in almost exactly the same situation as the original poster. I spent ages looking into hospital cover to avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge (because dp earns more than the family/couples limit), only to find when I wanted to buy any of them that you needed to have a blue or green Medicare card to apply. I'm sure I found something somewhere that said, legally, insurers are required to offer hospital insurance to temporary visa holders as well as those with permanent residency, but I'm not sure if by offering the 'overseas visitor health cover' they are covering this legal requirement. Certainly the overseas health cover was much more expensive than the other hospital covers I looked at and didn't seem to offer any real benefits over our reciprocal Medicare agreement.

So should we take out the more expensive 'overseas visitor' cover just to avoid the MLS or should we just pay the MLS and get a tax adviser to tell us how to claim it back??

• 3 weeks later...
oh I've just seen from the IMAN site that "purchasing Overseas Visitors Health Insurance... does not exempt you from paying the MLS"

http://www.austhealth.com/ausHealthSystemRecovering.php

Great - so what are we supposed to do?

i spoke to iman about this and they put me onto their partner company. i think it was nib and they said for about $400 i could purchase an entirely useless "hospital cover" policy and it would mean i wouldn't be liable for the levy. they weren't too sure about the mechanics of how it would work...ie would i pay it and reclaim it or not pay it in the 1st place....maybe they were talking BS but thats what they told me