Packing problems

murky

Hi everyone

I'm in the middle of sorting all our belongings for shipping and being really brutal as money is really tight for us at the moment. We have decided to pack our own stuff and have come across items I need help deciding how best to pack, is there anyone who can tell me how their shippers packed small electricals like plug in alarm clocks? I seem to be going crazy with the bubble wrap can electrical items be wrapped in plastic or will they condensate and end up not working? Also do they bubble wrap everything and pack things in tightly so they use smaller amounts of filling?

Sorry about asking so many questions that might have been asked before but this is doing my head in at the moment.

Mrs Murky

Ours packed all our stuff in paper,then into strong cardboard boxes.All the best.:biggrin:

Hi

So all your stuff was packed in paper? What about breakables like ornaments and crockery? Did they pack the boxes out with White paper as well or ddi they use those polystyrene bead thingys?

Sorry to be a pest

Mrs murky

Hi

So all your stuff was packed in paper? What about breakables like ornaments and crockery? Did they pack the boxes out with White paper as well or ddi they use those polystyrene bead thingys?

Sorry to be a pest

Mrs murky

We used a shipping company but we left small electrical items, ornaments etc.. in drawers which the shippers just boxed up and shipped out.

xx

Hello, our packers packed almost all of our stuff including the electricals, layer after layer of thick paper, They packed in such a way there was hardly any movement in between items, also they advised us to get some silca gell packs to soak up any damp, you can buy them in bulk of ebay, happy to say all ours worked fine and nothing broken :cute:

You can pack your own belongings, but leave the box open so that they can see inside, as they have to do an inventory of each box and log it all down, also for the reasons of insurance and to make sure what is being packed is legal and not a big no no as in some wood, whicker and untreated wood etc

Bubble wrap takes up more space than paper, and space is important when shipping everything overseas. Also the paper will help absorb some of the moisture/condensation whereas the bubble plastic can cause condensation to be held in and possibly damage items.

Guest guest36187

When we packed ours we used our bedding to wrap round all our breakables!! Means some washing once your boxes are unpacked but it was cheaper than buying a heap of bubble wrap!!!

We bubble wrapped ornaments that needed real protection and bubble wrapped pictures. We used Simpsons shipping who are based in kent. They were great, allowed us o pack everything and they picked it up. Can't remember the company name used at this end but they were excellent! One thing was broken, a big ceramic biscuit tin lid. Easily fixed!

Hi all

Thanks for the help I thought bubble wrap was the way to go so have gone mad wrapping everything. So should I leave all glassware and crockery items bubbled and unwrap anything else and just wrap in paper then for more space? Do you pack out the boxes with White packing paper as I was told you can't use newspaper? And with bedding and towels etc. I think I might be getting the hang of this now maybe with a little more help from you guys. Thanks

Mrs murky

Guest VickyMel

When I was moving my mum a couple of years ago I put out an ad on Freecycle for bubblewrap - and got loads from a lady who ran a business from home.

Does anyone know if it reduces the cost a great deal if you pack yourself?

I understand that C&E are more likely to open your boxes and check them if you pack your own and I imagine insurers are less keen on it too. But just wondering as I pack pretty well?

Hi

I asked on PiO a while ago about is is worth it to pack your own and got mixed replies, one said he saved loads but had a very large amount and someone said the shippers said it didn't charge much. When I got a quote a month ago they said it

Would take them 2days to pack my stuff and I have less than 500 cubic feet which was a shock so I'm sure a could pack just as well. By all accounts I'm packing a little

Too well

Mrs murky

I understand that C&E are more likely to open your boxes and check them if you pack your own and I imagine insurers are less keen on it too.

Anybody had loads of their boxes opened and rummaged through by customs that they think it's because they packed their own?

Also do the insurance people have to check the boxes or do they just take your word thats what's in the boxes?

My heads in bits now!

Mrs murky