Family Sponsored 176- Where are you now?

jimithechew

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just checked online and our visa was granted today! Can't believe it after all the years of thinking about it, the endless form filling and document finding before the application submitted, then the wait since the application went in on 28th June 2011.

Lots of planning to do now. Soooooooooooooooooo excited!

S and A- congrats!! When are you planning to go?

Tommy- Was going to ask you if you had left, but read you're leaving tomorrow, yikes!! All the very best with your adventure, please pop in and let us know how its going for you. Where are you off to? Are you staying with friends or family at first?

Jimmythechew- Not long for you either, you initially said you were leaving after olympics.

Me- expecting last doc reqd from overseas next week, then fingers crossed get visa grat v.soon after. we are planning to fly to Perth in Sept!!

Hi Simon,

I have not noticed very many people applying family sponsored 176 after 1/7/11 on this website. We are trying to rush my brother's application soon i.e. before 30th june, when the GSM practically dies. We are trying to decide between 175 and 176(family). Is there any advice/suggestion to consider in deciding one over the other? Is there any cap in either of the category? Is one quicker than the other? Any other factor?

Thanks for any info.

I have not noticed very many people applying family sponsored 176 after 1/7/11 on this website.

That's because you no longer receive points for such sponsorship. However, the sponsorship apparently gets you six months faster processing time, so I would say it's worth doing. It adds relatively little extra processing to the application. :)

We are trying to rush my brother's application soon i.e. before 30th june, when the GSM practically dies.

I haven't exactly been keeping up to date with next year's developments, but are you sure the GSM is "dying"? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they're increasing the skilled migrant intake by 5,000 for next year...

We are trying to decide between 175 and 176(family). Is there any advice/suggestion to consider in deciding one over the other? Is there any cap in either of the category? Is one quicker than the other? Any other factor?

I'm not sure about caps, but that would be something worth checking. I believe the FS cap is fairly low; 175 may have less of a restriction there. (The values are given in the federal budget, which has its own website: http://www.budget.gov.au/ (I'm sure it's also possible to find those figures on various websites. I'd look, but I'm a bit rushed right now!)

Cheers,

Simon

That's because you no longer receive points for such sponsorship. However, the sponsorship apparently gets you six months faster processing time, so I would say it's worth doing. It adds relatively little extra processing to the application. :)

I haven't exactly been keeping up to date with next year's developments, but are you sure the GSM is "dying"? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they're increasing the skilled migrant intake by 5,000 for next year...

I'm not sure about caps, but that would be something worth checking. I believe the FS cap is fairly low; 175 may have less of a restriction there. (The values are given in the federal budget, which has its own website: http://www.budget.gov.au/ (I'm sure it's also possible to find those figures on various websites. I'd look, but I'm a bit rushed right now!)

Cheers,

Simon

thanks for your response. I just did a little more search and came up with the following page on the DIAC site According to this 176(FS) is allcated till Sept 2011. This doesnt make any sense as your own case is of much later date!! am I misreading something?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

When I said GSM is dying, that is how I see it. To the best of my understanding, they are closing down the GSM as it is currently. It will be only by invitation from the database of applications, which will commence from 1/1/13. So, next 6 months i.e. from 1/7/12 till 31/12/12 it will be suspended and then rebirth in the new avatar.

Edited by rebecca2000
missed the link

thanks for your response. I just did a little more search and came up with the following page on the DIAC site According to this 176(FS) is allcated till Sept 2011. This doesnt make any sense as your own case is of much later date!! am I misreading something?

No. I'm also confused! But not complaining. :)

When I said GSM is dying, that is how I see it. To the best of my understanding, they are closing down the GSM as it is currently. It will be only by invitation from the database of applications, which will commence from 1/1/13. So, next 6 months i.e. from 1/7/12 till 31/12/12 it will be suspended and then rebirth in the new avatar.

Oh, right. I didn't know about any of that. Then I can understand why you want to rush your brother's application!

Congratulations! Yay! :) How long, do you think, before you make the move? Actually, what are the restrictions on moving? How long do you have after the visa grant to enter the country?

Hi simonbrads, thanks!!

We are moving in 3 months time. The entry date given is one year from when the medicals or police clearance certificates were completed, whichever is earlier.

The entry date given is one year from when the medicals or police clearance certificates were completed, whichever is earlier.

By police clearance certificates, do you mean the ACPO "NO TRACE" certificates? If so, yikes!! I didn't know that, and we submitted our police certificates along with the application, so that puts us four months into that year already. Maybe that was a big mistake -- and maybe that also explains why the e-mail I received the other day requested police certificates despite me having already submitted them!? (I sent them an e-mail about that; waiting for a reply.)

Just to update the above: turns out the request for police certificates was an "administrative error". So, all we need now are health checks.

Do you have a link to a page where the "visa entry windows" are formally specified? Now that I don't trust you; I just prefer to verify everything myself these days, plus I'd like to see it officially stated. :)

By the way, we're also "WA bound". :) Mildly panicked now about the prospect of only having 8 months to finalize everything!

Dont have a link, but got it straight from my CO. Our medicals were don August last year, and I was panicking as I knew about the 1 year rule. CO gave us a 6mo extension on them, so now our enty date is 1 year from when the ACPO certificates were issued, no later.

The ACPO certificates, I thought were mandatory, as its part of your character check. If youve got a CO, check with them, mine was very friendly and helpful!

As soon as you do your meds you will get your visa grant, so not long!

Just sent e-mail to the visa person at our local Spire. They're not in today, of course. :)

When are you planning to go? Is it Perth or Freemantle you are off to?

Good question! My brother lives in Northbridge, so possibly around there, at least to begin with. We'd better start researching!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Does anybody have an idea about the validity of the form 1277 for family sponsorship? My brother is being sponsored by my elder sis, who sent the completed 1277 form to him 2 months in advance when he first started to put docs together. This is a paper based application. I am going to courier the application today.....almost past the 11th hour. :-(

Is there a validity of this form 1277? Does it need to be dated closer to the date of the main application? Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...