Dubbo

fivetogo

Hi

Can somebody give me some information about Dubbo?

How is it to live there with children? How are schools? Any edges to avoid?

What are the job possiblitys for mechanical engineers?

Thanks for all answers! :notworthy:

Cheers

Sandy

Hi

Cheers

Sandy

G'day mate, Dubbo has about 40,000 people in the city. It is situated on the edge of the Western Plains and the better areas are on the northern side.

http://www.dubbotourism.com.au/LifeInDubbo/movingtodubbo.html

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/by-wewdub/list-1

http://www.aussieweb.com.au/directory/schools/nsw/dubbo/2830/

http://www.about-australia.com/shopping/new-south-wales/central-new-south-wales/shopping-centres/in/dubbo/

Hot in summer, cold in winter.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=65070

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you very much for your answer! I really appreciate it!

I found a lot of usual sites aswell, I thought maybe there are some familys who can give me some more information about living there with children?

We have 3 kids (12, 10 and 8 years).

Best regards

Sandy

Guest guest30038

Sorry Sandy, but I would steer well clear. The south side is high crime and the north is heading that way also.

Lots of social problems, unemployment etc. The old timers are lovely people but something's happened to the kids down there :cry:

Spent a fair amount of time dragging foster kids back here when they ran away, and what I saw there, saddened me. The kids seem to have no direction.

I'm generalising and no doubt there are lovely people, as I've met them and dealt with them, but even those who's father and fathers before 'em lived there, are saddened at what has been happening.

Lately, there have been inroads into the crime rate, where the council raised a whole estate to the ground and re-located all the tenants, dispersing them in the hope that they wouldn't "feed" off each other, and apparently, this has been highly successful.

I visited 6 months ago though, and there still seems to be an "air" about the place IMHO. Maybe I was influenced by my previous visits but in all honesty, I didn't feel safe in the town centre, even in normal shopping hours. Reminded me plain and simple, of what I was trying to escape from when I left Blackpool to come here.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong if you're locating to there.

good luck

kev

Sorry Sandy, but I would steer well clear. The south side is high crime and the north is heading that way also.

Lots of social problems, unemployment etc. The old timers are lovely people but something's happened to the kids down there :cry:

Spent a fair amount of time dragging foster kids back here when they ran away, and what I saw there, saddened me. The kids seem to have no direction.

I'm generalising and no doubt there are lovely people, as I've met them and dealt with them, but even those who's father and fathers before 'em lived there, are saddened at what has been happening.

Lately, there have been inroads into the crime rate, where the council raised a whole estate to the ground and re-located all the tenants, dispersing them in the hope that they wouldn't "feed" off each other, and apparently, this has been highly successful.

I visited 6 months ago though, and there still seems to be an "air" about the place IMHO. Maybe I was influenced by my previous visits but in all honesty, I didn't feel safe in the town centre, even in normal shopping hours. Reminded me plain and simple, of what I was trying to escape from when I left Blackpool to come here.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong if you're locating to there.

good luck

kev

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. This sounds not very good! I read about improvment in this City in the last couple of years. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

Maybe there are some more opinions about living in Dubbo?

Thanks for all answers!

Cheers

Sandy

Guest guest30038
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. This sounds not very good! I read about improvment in this City in the last couple of years. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

Maybe there are some more opinions about living in Dubbo?

Thanks for all answers!

Cheers

Sandy

Just to add Sandy. the N & S is also known as West and East, but I have no idea why?

Guest Unha99Y

Dubbo has a pretty poor reputation in NSW certainly in regards to drugs. Is this the only location you have an option of?

It is certainly not a place I would raise a family

Nice zoo though

Hi

Cheers

Sandy

I'm just wondering if you have been to country New South Wales before?

It would be quite a culture shock after Switzerland.

Guest guest30038
I'm just wondering if you have been to country New South Wales before?

It would be quite a culture shock after Switzerland.

For me, it was quite a shock after red-neck Qld so that's saying something.

@Unha99y

Unfortunately it is our last possibility to get a SS before 1th of July! After this date we don't have enough points. Dubbo is really not our first choice but our last chance. We won't stay there for more than two years anyway. It is just to have a start in Australia.

@Skani

No, we have not been on country nsw but we lived in Canberra and we have been to many other places in Australia. Probably it will be a culture shock, but as I said it is our last possibility to get into it. I know if you can't find a job there you can go to another place in Regional Australia.

So we have to take this chance and make the best of it!

Sandy

I have only visited Dubbo and it looked ok to me just like any other country town. I think that problems exist in every town in Aus and everyone always wants a place with none. They do not exist.

I am sure there are lots of nice people who live in Dubbo. Unfortunately our country areas are low on work for unskilled people same the world over and therefore social problems with unemployment follow.

As you say its not for ever and if it gets you here its a good thing and we all look at places through our own eyes.

Good luck

Guest nemov02
Hi

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I am planning also on staying in Dubbo if my 475 Visa Application will be approved. Besides Dubbo, have you thought of staying in other areas in Orana? We don't also plan to stay in Orana for long, just to fulfill the 2yr requirement.

Hi Sandy,

I am planning also on staying in Dubbo if my 475 Visa Application will be approved. Besides Dubbo, have you thought of staying in other areas in Orana? We don't also plan to stay in Orana for long, just to fulfill the 2yr requirement.

Hi nemov02,

We looked at other places than dubbo but we decided to startin Dubbo would probably the best choice. It depends if my husband can find a job there. So we have to be flexible.

Have you already lodged your visa application? Are you alone or will you take family with you?

We received this morning statesponsorship approval from Orana:jiggy:!

So we can finaly apply before 1th July! I am so happy!

Sandy

Guest nemov02
Hi nemov02,

We looked at other places than dubbo but we decided to startin Dubbo would probably the best choice. It depends if my husband can find a job there. So we have to be flexible.

Have you already lodged your visa application? Are you alone or will you take family with you?

We received this morning statesponsorship approval from Orana:jiggy:!

So we can finaly apply before 1th July! I am so happy!

Sandy

Yes, I already lodged my application and I am applying together with my wife and daughter. Do you have any friends who are in Dubbo now?

Yes, I already lodged my application and I am applying together with my wife and daughter. Do you have any friends who are in Dubbo now?

No, not at all! We found Dubbo on the Orana Development site on the internet accidentally. It is a chance for us to come back to Australia. We lived 1998 in Canberra, but just for a half year.

May I ask you how old your daughter are?

Guest nemov02
No, not at all! We found Dubbo on the Orana Development site on the internet accidentally. It is a chance for us to come back to Australia. We lived 1998 in Canberra, but just for a half year.

May I ask you how old your daughter are?

My daughter is 3 years old, turning 4 this year. I hope we can go there in time for her to start her education. Any idea on how much money should we have upon arrival? Since we don't have work yet upon arrival.

My daughter is 3 years old, turning 4 this year. I hope we can go there in time for her to start her education. Any idea on how much money should we have upon arrival? Since we don't have work yet upon arrival.

I would say as much as possible! I calculated for our family all relocation costs with flight, car and money to start around 50'000 Dollar, but we are a family of five.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all who heading to Dubbo!

Did you know that you on the website: www.dubboturism.com.au you can get a free new resident's kit?

I ordered this and got a very friendly e-mail with lots of infos and links. After a couple of weeks I received another personal e-mail. A kindly women wrote if we have determined to move to Dubbo there are more information to pass on and opportunities to meet and greet on their New Resident's social night. We just have to contact her.

I thougt this could be interessting for you as well!

Sandy

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this helps but I was in Dubbo in 2000 on a WHV. My boyfriend (at the time) and I were looking for agricultural work at the time and ended up looking after the Dubbo YHA for 2 weeks while the owners were on holiday (long story how we got that job!). It was a 11 years ago so I guess a lot can happen to a town in that time but I felt safe there and liked it at the time. I think we spent about 4 weeks there in total. The zoo is very good. Anyway it brings back good memories for me.

Hope you enjoy your time there.

Good luck with your plans :biggrin:

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this helps but I was in Dubbo in 2000 on a WHV. My boyfriend (at the time) and I were looking for agricultural work at the time and ended up looking after the Dubbo YHA for 2 weeks while the owners were on holiday (long story how we got that job!). It was a 11 years ago so I guess a lot can happen to a town in that time but I felt safe there and liked it at the time. I think we spent about 4 weeks there in total. The zoo is very good. Anyway it brings back good memories for me.

Hope you enjoy your time there.

Good luck with your plans :biggrin:

Thanks buddy!

This is very important for me because I am an agricultural scinetist and I will come to Dubbo in march next year. How did you get the job in agriculture? Could you tell me if I have any possibilities to get a jobe soon after my arrival?

Thank you so much in advance! :cute: