Cam

How much realistically does it cost to move?

Two adults & a two year old... my not always positive thinking husband has said that it could cost us £20,000 to move to Oz counting everything from flights to shipping a container/ car. This seems a little extreme, & I'd be interested to know how much it has cost people. Not taking into account visa as I & my little girl have citizenship and my husband has a de facto visa.

Thanks guys, it all helps with mulling over the move idea.

:biggrin:

hi

i was trying to work it out the other day , great post i would love to know how much people have done it for also.

thnaks the raes

Guest Guest 47403

Two adults & a two year old... my not always positive thinking husband has said that it could cost us £20,000 to move to Oz counting everything from flights to shipping a container/ car. This seems a little extreme, & I'd be interested to know how much it has cost people. Not taking into account visa as I & my little girl have citizenship and my husband has a de facto visa.

Thanks guys, it all helps with mulling over the move idea.

:biggrin:

He's probably not to far off when you take everything in to account......I've estimated £15k to get to Oz then I'd like at least £25k to get set up.

hi

i was trying to work it out the other day , great post i would love to know how much people have done it for also.

thnaks the raes

I make that about right, I don't think you will have a lot a change left!

Guest Guest 47403

Sorry read it fast so didn't see you already have visas shipping with a car £6000 and flights £2500 then enough cash in the bank to get you set up the other end.

Guest MontyClaude

It's probably costing us about 25,000 euro excluding visas, but at least 10K of that is on the animals. We'll arrive with 15,000 AUD and it will just have to do!

Hi quick break down of our costs so far we live in Ireland so is in euro, im assuming as ur not needing visa's you wont have to do medical.

Shipping half container E 2500, Flights E 2,500 plus approx E7,000 for set up costs ie Rent for a month plus bond, set up utilites, cheap car, Reg + Insurance etc.

TRA April 2011, Approved May 2011, WA SS lodged 31st May, SS approved 9th June DIAC Lodged 15 June 2011, Medicals25 July 2011 - CO 13 July 2011 - Visa Granted 3 August 2011 Whoop outta dat!!!! Flights Booked 1st June :biggrin:

skills applications - £700

Medicals (family of 4) -£920

Visa - £1700

flights - £2500

Shipping - £2500

6 months rent - £9000

Misc. bits - £1000

Total - £18320

Gary (37 electrician special class), Maxine (37, Nurse), Macy (12) & Thomas (3). WA SS Applied 20.12.10 received 02.02.11, 176 visa applied 16.02.11, Co assigned 16.03.11, everything uploaded 15.05.11..visa granted 24.5.11. Fly 8.1.12...arrived in Perth 12.1.12...

How much stuff would you get in half a container?

Also 6 months rent up front that's a bit scary!! I believe that's only if you don't have a job (I have a friend who moved to Melbourne who told me) also for a holiday rental how much rent upfront is that?

Guest welshspark

Its cost us so far rough est £5k for visa thats with meds,police checks, skills test for trade etc

£2400 for flights for november for 2adults & 2 children

£4000 shipping goods thats for a 20foot container

£3500 to ship the dog but dont know what to do with her yet.

Think thats it so far just things like rental`s on arrival etc left to pay for

Hi Chris & Donna! We're still early stages but £4000 including agent, VETASSESS & VISA. Only looking for a small container and been quoted approx £1600, flights to be added and I think around 6 weeks rental upfront.... money money money :0(( ... but OMG will so be worth it! Miss OZ so much!

I think £20k is a reasonable estimate, as well as the obvious flights and shipping the initial accommodation and rental deposit can be quite a big expense and you will need funds to tide you over until work is lined up.

Well we have the contents of 2 bed got quotes from bout 5 companies who deal with shipping from Irelalnd, got quotes between E2300 and E3500, gonna look into it more when visa approved and when have flights booked.

TRA April 2011, Approved May 2011, WA SS lodged 31st May, SS approved 9th June DIAC Lodged 15 June 2011, Medicals25 July 2011 - CO 13 July 2011 - Visa Granted 3 August 2011 Whoop outta dat!!!! Flights Booked 1st June :biggrin:

Guest gemfromoz

I guess it depends on what you are leaving, what you want when you get there, and how much stuff you take!

Are you looking to leave your life in the UK and have exactly the same stuff/life ASAP in Australia? Then, its going to cost you the 20K everyone quotes.

It is perfectly possible to move to another country with nothing more than a suitcase and a few thousand. Especially considering you say yourself and daughter are citizens, OH has a visa. So thats a large cost already taken care of. And presumably, as citizens, you have family or friends nearby?

If your willing to build things back up, then go sell everything that isn't nailed down, book flights and short term rental (or even a friends spare room) and off you go. It costs very little to get the absolute life necessities going. Medicare (freecall number I assume), rental (can be in a not so nice area for a while), and food for a few weeks doesn't have to cost $300/wk +.

Depends on how much you want the dream, how soon you want it, your personal finances and what your dream comprises.

Guest Irmaal

Hi Cam,

For two of us it cost about 50.000 Euro, including visas, flights, shiping and settling. And the price will still go up, because PR is somewhere in the future(if at all).

It can be done on GBP20k, but it totally depends on what your specific situation is. We spent more than that, but we paid 6 months rent, insurances for the year (rather than monthly), bought two cars outright, bought oh's business, plus we made sure that we had enough in the bank so that if we needed to get home we could. We decided to pay upfront with the rent, so that we would have a bit more to spend on a monthly basis and take the pressure off whilst oh settled in to work (he had a job to come to, I work from home). That was of course on top of the flights, shipping etc.

You need to bear in mind that even silly things soon add up. Buying a mop and bucket, stocking up a kitchen with salt, spices, herbs, buying toilet brushes and a bin, really simple things can soon add up to hundreds of dollars. There are also clothes (our children had some new clothes because the ones they fitted were of the wrong season - UK winter, Aus summer), toys (we bought a few toys with us in the suitcases but bought them a few more to play with until the container arrived), days out (because you can't help but do the tourist stuff when you first get here!) and all manner of other things.

Cool, we're going to look at a budget tonight or in the next week or so. Think we'd be looking at:

flights

bond

1 or 2 months rent

shipping - some things like bikes (well, oh's!!) are just so much more expensive in Oz

clothes & things that we know we'll need in the next year but would be better off purchasing here than in Oz

car - doesn't seem worth shipping ours now

childcare deposit

additional funds incase our house isn't rented out all the time or to top-up the mortgage payments

Landlords insurance

Final uk bills

broadband set up costs

money to cover until first paycheck comes through

furniture costs

To be honest I don't think we'd go without me having a job lined up as I'm currently employed, (well, until these major job cuts start happening!!) so might as well be paid, oh hopefully should pick up one quite easily, he's more employable than me!!! So hopefully don't have to factor in too much unemployed time...