What are the cost of things compared to a year ago?

Cam

Hello,

We left Oz a year ago, having spent 8 very enjoyable months in Sydney whilst I was on maternity leave. At the time we left because I couldn't find a job so we were better off coming back to the UK where I could go back to my pre-maternity job, but we always said we'd be back... now there seem to be more opportunities coming up I'm debating about whether to apply for a job, especially as there's a high chance of huge job losses in the next 6 months, but nobody seems to know yet, so just looking at Option B.

When we left we had found Oz expensive but then the UK had been very cheap for a while, now that alot of things have gone up in price here & seem comparable, eg to the food prices when we left Sydney, I'm wondering wheter prices have stayed the same or also gone up as much as they have over here. I don't really want to be moving across the world to have to watch a every single penny every minute of the day.

I'd be interested in peoples' opinions.

Thanks

It's all over the news that things are rising in price from petrol to services. It used to be rare for me to spend more than $150 on a weekly shop, not it's $250 each week if I go to Woolies. I've had to use farmers markets and local butchers (I know we all should to support them, but parking, unlading and loading fractious child etc at each stop is a pain in the bum) to reduce the cost.

When I lived in Parramatta I was always a huge fan of Harris Park Markets for loads of choice and quality at reasonable prices.

Guest guest30038

Fruit and meat has gone up considerably in Coles and woolies, but I can still buy apples for 1.99kilo, mandarins 1.49 kilo, cauli 1.49 each, broccoli 1.49 kilo at my local greengrocer. Coles own brand milk $2 litre, bread 1.09.

I wouldn't touch supermarket meat with a barge pole. At my local butcher I get whole rump for 4.99 kilo, T Bone average 8.99kilo, Lamb loin chops 8.99, pork leg roast 4.99.

The thing you will notice most is the increase in electric.............so much for privatisation! :arghh:

Guest guest36187

Everything has gone up. Been here over six years now. Fuel is double what it was when I landed. Food dearer although bargains can be had if u look hard enough.

Utilities higher. Car insurance cheaper.

Things like DVDs and books can be dearer too.