NZ vs Oz Education Systems

NZPom

Just wondered if anyone out that has experience of both education systems as I'm finding it hard to get any information about how the two compare. We are currently in NZ and looking to move to Oz at the start of next year - my kids are currently in years 7 and 9 (the 13 year old in Year 9 has just started high school this year which I believe is a year later than in Oz). I also have a son in year 1. The main thing I want to know is are the kids ahead educationally in Oz compared with NZ? I'm just concerned that my kids are doing well here and in the top stream and might struggle when transferring to the Ozzie system - I'm worried they'll be put in a low class which could affect the rest of their education at such a vulnerable age (the older two). What I'm thinking is that if I could find out what sort of work they'd be doing, I could maybe find some books and try and tutor them a bit?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Kate

I would talk to their current schools and the schools they'd be going into, to get some idea of what they've covered and what (if anything) needs to be caught up on. Maths and Science would be the most important subjects to look into, since they are the subjects which build on previously acquired knowledge.

• 3 months later...

Hi there, just found this post and thought I might be able to help. We moved to Australia (Gold Coast) in January of this year after over 8 years in NZ. We have found the standard of education to be higher in Australia - both of our children have had to "pull their socks up" despite being in "good" schools in NZ. Remember also that what they call "Year 1" in NZ we call "Prep" here in Australia, so it isn't that the children start high school any later, the year name is different. At my sons' school they actually move up to the high school campus from year 7 which is what all other Qld schools will be doing from 2015. I am a teacher and have been relief teaching at their school and can definitely say that the standards are higher, having done my teacher training in NZ. Hope this helps to reassure you. Don't worry about them being put in lower classes - most classes have extension activities available for many subjects - for example my current class have science extension, sports extension, chinese immersion among others.

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

I thought I would add that different states \ territories in Australia run things slightly differently, the first year of school has different names depending where you move to and the first year of High School also depends where you live. It sounds like you're moving to QLD and as NZStidz says the first year of Primary School is called Prep; in QLD children move onto High School after Year 7 i.e. Year 8 is the first year of High School (this isn't the came in other states).

To be eligible to join a school year group children need to be a certain age by the state cut off date, the cut-off date is 30 June in QLD. For example, to join Year 1 in January in QLD you would expect a child to be age 6 or to turn 6 before 30 June of that academic year.

If a child's birthday falls close to the cut off date or past education experience means it might be more practical to put them up a year or hold them back this can be discussed with individual school Principals.

All the best, Sarah

• 5 weeks later...