which ielts test to take for a secondary teacher? and other questions :-)

Guest laraway

which ielts test do i need to take to be a secondary school teacher  

10 members have voted

1. 1. which ielts test do i need to take to be a secondary school teacher

• Academic
    • general

Guest laraway

Which Ielts test do i take for a seondary teacher? there is an academic or general.

also what is the 5 points for professional year for on the breakdown of new points test?

are they getting rid of the skilled migration list of jobs?

thanks for your help

Professional year does not apply to us teachers, the list of jobs is either the SoL 3 or 4, from DIAC, or if you are applying for a 176 State Sponsored visa, the SMP of that state.

For the 175 you have to be on SOL3, for the 176 you have to be on at least the SOL4, you also need to be on your state's SMP for the 176. This list is changing by 4 off and about 13 on the list on 1st July 2011, but you're not effected, Secondary School Teacher is still on SOL 3. You no longer get points for the job though, but as the points needed goes down to 65, you don't need these points.

I took the Academic IELTS as I got conflicting information from various places - (and no stresses getting a 9), I think for AITSL and SS and/or DIAC the general is fine, however I think perhaps for my state I need academic for registration. I just thought, it doesn't cost anymore, I didn't think it was any more difficult really (especially for a teacher), and if I need the Academic and only have the general I'm scuppered, whereas if I need the General, but have the Academic I'm ok.

Hope that helps :)

Guest laraway

For the 175 you have to be on SOL3, for the 176 you have to be on at least the SOL4, you also need to be on your state's SMP for the 176. This list is changing by 4 off and about 13 on the list on 1st July 2011, but you're not effected, Secondary School Teacher is still on SOL 3. You no longer get points for the job though, but as the points needed goes down to 65, you don't need these points.

it may be late but this paragraph is difficult to take in. im not sure what all the abbreviations mean.

can i not work anywhere as a secondary teacher?

basically i have my papers ready to send off for verification. which is the visa that allows me to live anywhere in oz? Im booking my ielts test but its not till 30th july :arghh: does it make sense to get skills verified now? I'm worried I wont get 20 points on the test as my English isn't good.

You definitely need to take the Academic test for AITSL skills assessment UNLESS you can demonstrate your English language proficiency by:

(a) completion of an initial teacher education qualification (refer Professional (a)) in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/verve/_resources/Advance_notice_special_education_teacher_assessment_criteria.pdf

The link is about assessment for Special Education teachers, but at the top, it says "Primarily these occupations will be assessed under the same criteria used by AITSL for the nominated occupations of early childhood (pre-primary), primary and secondary school teacher with the addition of specific qualifications in special education."

Each state has different English language requirements for registration e.g. NSW may require PEAT rather than IELTS if your qualifications were obtained in a non-English speaking country while Queensland requires Academic IELTS if that applies.

If you need IELTS, definitely do the Academic test.

it may be late but this paragraph is difficult to take in. im not sure what all the abbreviations mean.

can i not work anywhere as a secondary teacher?

basically i have my papers ready to send off for verification. which is the visa that allows me to live anywhere in oz? Im booking my ielts test but its not till 30th july :arghh: does it make sense to get skills verified now? I'm worried I wont get 20 points on the test as my English isn't good.

You're applying for a visa and don't know the designation of what you are applying for/what is is? :wacko:

the 175 is the Skilled Independent Visa, the 176 is the Skilled State/Family sponsored visa. Both mean you technically can live anywhere, the 176, if state sponsored, means you have a moral obligation to live in the sponsoring state for two years, but after that there isn't even the moral obligation.

I'll try again with the SOL lists and visas -

175 = occupation needs to be on SOL3

176 = occupation needs to be on SOL4 AND nominated state's SMP

As Ozmaniac says - if you didn't do your initial teacher training (PGCE) in English, you will need the IELTS before you can apply to AITSL to have your skills assessed.

As an aside - I'm not being bolshy, but if you're English isn't very good, why do you think its ok to be a teacher delivering a curriculum in English? Or do you mean, you don't think your English is good enough to get an 8 or 9 in the test? If you just aren't confident of getting the 8 or 9, and you are British schooled, degreed and Teacher Trained, then you should not have an issue at all, really.

Guest laraway

Im worrried that i wont get an 8 on the ielts test. is it easy? Do i need the ielts test before i can apply to get my skills assessed? there is a 6 week wait for ielts meaning i will have to pay the fee increase from the 1st of july.

will my visa be processed faster if i go with a state specific visa? im still undecided where i want to live

Im worrried that i wont get an 8 on the ielts test. is it easy? Do i need the ielts test before i can apply to get my skills assessed? there is a 6 week wait for ielts meaning i will have to pay the fee increase from the 1st of july.

will my visa be processed faster if i go with a state specific visa? im still undecided where i want to live

If you are native british, been here all your life etc etc, and a teacher, you so should not struggle to get an 8. Even if you aren't a teacher (and the only reason I say 'even' is because teachers teach children to pass tests essentially, so we know how to pass them ourselves basically - nothing to do with teachers being cleverer or anything AT ALL :biggrin: ), you shouldn't struggle as long as you follow the reems and reems of advice given on places like here and blogs like ours.

If your PGCE (and secondary school possibly?) was in the UK, delivered in English, then you don't need your IELTS before you send off to the AITSL - check the newest criteria on the assessment forms, its proof of certain schooling delivered in English to waive the IELTS score requirement.

Yes you will need to pay the increased fee for the visa application, as you won't be able to sit the test and get the results back before 1st July to lodge in time to beat the change in cost (and the change in points). Your AITSL might also take a bit longer than then as well, as I believe from someone I know who applied a few weeks ago they are very busy indeed (they waited 6 weeks, got asked for more stuff, now told it will be 8 weeks).

If you go with the State Sponsored visa (176) it will be processed quicker than an Independent visa, the priority in processing goes : Employer visas (ENS etc), State sponsored (176), General Skilled Migration on the SOL3 (175), GSM that are no longer on the SOL 3 (175). Guestimates from DIAC are 6-12 months for a 176, 18-24 months for a 175. But then you hear of people getting their 176 in 3 -4 months at the moment, so who knows?!

Your PGCE counts as your teacher training, it is the GTP they don't like, so a 3 year degree and 1 year PGCE is fine (or a 4 year degree is also fine, either with or without the PGCE depending on what it was (ie you need teacher training lol). Not sure what you mean exactly by "what does a one year higher education level study include" - does that cover that question? :nah:

Guest laraway

positive pixie you are a star. thanks for all your help

should i send off my skills assessment now if i dont need to wait for my ielts test? my test is booked for 30th july :-(

would i just send a document that states i was trained at an english school then get it signed?

the state sponsorship waiting time is very tempting. where do i check what states need secondary teachers? do i have to continue to teach once im over there?

thanks

positive pixie you are a star. thanks for all your help

should i send off my skills assessment now if i dont need to wait for my ielts test? my test is booked for 30th july :-(

would i just send a document that states i was trained at an english school then get it signed?

the state sponsorship waiting time is very tempting. where do i check what states need secondary teachers? do i have to continue to teach once im over there?

thanks

No worries, I like to help :)

I would send off your skills asap - everything can take longer than you think it will, and I think its valid for 2 years, so you've plenty of time for everything to go through. Seriously don't stress about the test, at least its only one day long and you get the results pretty quickly (compared to other things lol)

I can't remember what the exact condition is on the language - there was a bit of confusion on mine as I used an old form somehow, but the regs were as they are now still. I sent (certified copies of - I got a doctor to cert mine, but loads of people can do it for AITSL skills assessment including your headteacher, or any medical professional):

Passport

FULL birth certificate

Degree certificate

PGCE certificate

Full degree transcript

Full PGCE transcript

Letter from uni stating how many days I spent on teaching pract. whilst on my PGCE

a passport sized photo

my GTC certificate

That was it - the proof for English ability was option a) and just my degree certs etc was proof I went there, and the address I filled in on the application form was proof of it being in UK, do you don't need any additional proof for that (your cert proves you went there, the address is one you have given, they either probably check it online, or perhaps they crossed referenced it with the number of days letter I gave which was on headed paper maybe?)

State Sponsorship - I believe only SA, ACT and VIC are sponsoring Secondary school teachers, but SA you have to be STEM (science, tech, engineering and maths) and VIC is only maths, science or metal work I think.

Possibly TAS is as well, but you need a job offer as well for them I think (reading their SMP).

If you google each state and SMP you will be able to see what is currently sponsoring - we are def going with SA so not 100% up to date with everyone else.

You don't have to teach once you are in Australia, once you have your visa you can do whatever you want, but with SS you have to live in that state for two years - not a problem for us we would go to SA even if we didn't have SS, it just speeds up the visa for us.

• 6 months later...