Advice for telephone Interview for registered nurse post in Sydney! Advice needed!

paednurse

Hi,

This is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping it actually works!

My family and I are currently in the early stages of doing the 'big move!' I am a senior paediatric nurse in an Emergency Department in the South of England and am hoping to continue in this career path in OZ. Our first choice to settle was Queensland, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast areas. I have sent my CV and cover letter to several children's hospitals including Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne to see whether I would even get any interest!

So far I have heard back from Sydney and have been offered a telephone interview!!! I am really unsure as to what they might ask me, apparently I will be speaking to 3 nurse managers throughout the hospital including the ED manager!

Any suggestions on how I can best prepare for this would be very much appreciated! I have never had a telephone interview before and am really not looking forward to it!!

I'm also unsure whether to accept a job offer (if I actually get offered one!) because I have always had my heart set on Queensland, due to being cheaper cost of living, climate, beaches etc. Im also hoping for a sponsorship from the hospital and I know we will have to pay education fees for our 5 year old if we go to NSW!!

I have heard rumours that Queensland has put a bit of a freeze on overseas recruitment and especially on sponsorships???

Decisions, decsisions!! Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to PIO, sorry I missed your post, sometimes there are soooo many come through that ones get overlooked.

Have you had your interview yet, fingers crossed.

Kate

Hi there,

You say you are set on QLD, have you tried the Mater in Brisbane yet? They aren't under queensland health for recruiting purposes, and they definitely did a UK recruitment drive this year. I work in the kids hospital there, and they have a lot of UK nurses working there, and have a busy ED. They do sponsorship (I didn't need it as I got PR, but all the other girls I work with have been sponsored no problem and we all got relocation expenses). This is their recruitment website http://www.exceptional.org.au/vacancies/overseas/

Hope that your other interview went well :)

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for delay in the update! The interview didn't go quite to plan actually, we don't have a land line (never needed one until now!) and so I had given them my parents number and stayed the night before as it was a 7am call! I sat waiting for 45minutes for them to ring, tried ringing them several times and in the end gave up as had to get back home to take my child to school! Was soooo disappointing and a waste of time.

A few days later I got an email from HR saying I hadn't given them the land line number, which was incorrect as they had replied to the email I sent it on!!

Anyway, they then offered me another time but I have since decided to give it a miss, it's really not where we want to relocate too and so I am going to be PATIENT and wait until the right interview comes along!:smile:

Thanks for advice on Mater hospital, I have completed an expression of interest on their website a couple of months ago but have not heard anything as yet! I think they are concentrating on recruiting midwives at the mo! :sad:

Guest tandcmum

Old health are still sponsoring but only for regional areas I think. I also tried mater in Brisbane but they said they had no vacancies suitable, however I have been offered a job with sponsorship for PR visa at the mater in Townsville. I too had my heart always set on Queensland a d was keen on the regional cities so this is perfect for me, hope u manage to find something soon