crispysince70

Anyone managed to avoid Qantas excess baggage charges?

Just havin a little panic, now we're due to fly out on Sunday, ( one way )

We're approx 2kg per suitcase ( x5 ) overweight, and was wondering if anyone had got away with paying the charges.

Not sure how much Quantas would charge us if we were pulled on it.

Would be gratefull for anyones experiences regarding this.

Chris x

Tassie Rules OK

Guest Unha99Y

It's a risk you have to decide, if there are five of you can't you put the 2kg in each of the hand luggage, you are allowed 7kg for each piece. The excess charge above 23 kg checked is $175 per 5kg. Or put it all into one up to 32kg and the excess will be $350 for up to 10kg

Thanks for that, however we allready have our rucksacks stacked to the limit with things, so that's a no-goer.

After loking at those excess baggage charges I think we'll have to do a little more culling. Have just weighed some towels, which we have 4 of, and they're coming in at 1.5 kg's each, so we'll wave goodbye to them for starters.

We also have one of my son's skateboards in the suitcase, so i think we'll try dismantaling that and squashing the wheels in the rucksack.

Where there's a will, there's a way! lol

Chris x

Tassie Rules OK

Guest hels

I've always been over on hold luggage weight and I've never been charged with Singapore. Quantas may be different -

Guess it depends on who you get at the desk and how full the flight is, we were 12kg over and our hand luggage was also over by a couple of kgs each and they just made us check on of the hand luggages into the hold and didnt charge us a cent :)

a couple of kgs isn't usually a problem, as the luggage scales at check in ofter have error factors bigger than that. You can always claim that you weighed them at home and they were 23kg each.

I'd be inclined to take the risk for less than 2kg/bag but if they're non-essentials like towels and other stuff, have you thought about posting them over?

So long as you have an address and don't mind waiting a few weeks for them to arrive, it'll cost a heck of a lot less than the prices mentioned above.

If worst comes to worst you can have Plan B so if you are pulled up, alreay have your minds made up about which stuff you're going to have to take out of the cases and bin.

I'm never really sure why's there such a big deal on hand luggage weight anyway. I'm sure that there are many people who get on the plane in the UK with the absolute maximum weight but still manage to add a few more Kgs after a shopping spree either at UK duty free or whatever airports the flight has its stop-overs.

People bring all sorts of extra bags and boxes onto the plane and they're never weighed. I know bottles of liquor can be a no-no on some flights but remember that every litre of wine or spirits tops the scales at a over kilo.

The supposed issue with hand-luggage is that if it's in the overhead lockers and falls out, it could really hurt someone if it's over 7kg. Also, the flight attendants can't lift anything over 7kg.

(BA get around this by saying that your hand luggage can be any weight, provided you can put it in the lockers unassisted - they figure if it's that heavy it's not going to shift so much so wouldn't fall out anyway)

Useful tip: if you've got too much hand-luggage weight, leave it with a friend while you go check in, just in case they weight your hand-luggage bags. Then after you've checked in, you can re-add it to your bags, as security don't weigh them. Or take them through in carrier bags, once you're through, go buy something from one of the shops, which gives you an airport carrier bag that you can add items to and nobody will bat an eyelid...

Guest Trigby

we were several kg over.. we played the were emigrating and this is all we have for 12 weeks till our stuff arrives and got all emotional... worked a treat@! aparently with some airlines if your emigrating they will allow a little more baggage.

Guest GeorgeD
Useful tip: if you've got too much hand-luggage weight, leave it with a friend while you go check in, just in case they weight your hand-luggage bags. Then after you've checked in, you can re-add it to your bags, as security don't weigh them. Or take them through in carrier bags, once you're through, go buy something from one of the shops, which gives you an airport carrier bag that you can add items to and nobody will bat an eyelid...

I had 5Kg of UK chocolate which wouldn't fit in my case or hand luggage (due to size and weight!) so I got my father to hold it away from the check in. I bought a magazine at the airport and transferred all the chocolate into my new WH Smiths bag! No problem. I actually had to ask for a better bag at Dubai airport shopping in transit as the thin one I had from Smiths was bursting. They were happy to give me one...nothing was weighed in transit at Dubai or Singapore.

Guest spongy42

we were a few kilos over and they waved us through they even came to where i was sat with my little boy who was asleep on me to check our passports

we were several kg over.. we played the were emigrating and this is all we have for 12 weeks till our stuff arrives and got all emotional... worked a treat@! aparently with some airlines if your emigrating they will allow a little more baggage.

They certainly used to - we flew out with Cathay Pacific in '03 and their policy on baggage actually stated an allowance of an extra few Kgs (I think it as about 10kg / adult) specifically for those who were emigrating.

Had a bit of a drama at the airport as this info apparently wasn't known to the check-in staff but all good in the end as someone phoned HQ who gave them the nod.

We also claimed sporting equipment allowance to the absolute max (including our 5yr old son's!) and somehow managed to ship out 2 VERY big plastic boxes of dive gear that topped the scales at around 15kg each.

Be cheeky and play the emigration card for all it's worth.