and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest slipdetuf

Swimming in Redcliffe peninsula?

Guest slipdetuf

Hi Everyone,

I have a questions regarding the beach on the Redcliffe peninsula.

Is anyone swimming there? I am askng that cause according to the pics I can find on the web , the color of the water seems dodgy...:skeptical: What does the local think about the beautiness of the beach overthere?

Thanks for your feed back..

Cheers

Perhaps someone local can give you better information but my Aussie family live up the road from Redcliffe (and we lived in Redcliffe in Bristol which is strange) but from what I remember the mother in law saying...there used to be beautiful beaches around Redcliffe, Sandgate, Brighton but they dredged the coastline and the 'good' sand disappeared so only the more course sand that compacts easily is left which is why it doesn't look like the lovely sandy beach it once was. It seemed a bit like Weston Super Mare beach to me so I was very disappointed but there are nice beaches on Bribie Island and not far away.

Where we live in Melbourne some of the beaches are now 'man made' as the dredging washed away the golden sand.

Guest guest30038

Nothing wrong with the beaches. The water is shallow so on a windy day the sand is suspended in the water making it look turbid. The sand is not the sort of sand that you find on a surf beach but grittier. I sim there regularly. These are pics on a fine summers day. As you can see, the water is crystal clear.

stickdog.jpg?timestamp=1306128960214

fisherman%201300.jpg

IMG_1534-1300.jpg

IMG_0381%201300.jpg

Guest slipdetuf

oh... thats actually not too bad...:biggrin:

Cheers

mate

Guest gemfromoz

If it helps, I spent alot of my childhood swimming at Redcliffe, the other side of the pier to kev's picture.

Its not surfers paradise but its pretty bloody good in my opinion :)

Let me just add this pic, this is woody point (just down from redcliffe)

Gem%252520dads%252520house%252520view%2525202.JPG

Guest The Ropey HOFF

My mate Kev took us to Redcliffe and it looked great there was a brilliant outdoor swimming pool with adjoining barbecue areas, we thought it was fantastic.

Guest Nickc278

I live in Redcliffe - the outdoor swimming pool is Settlement Cove lagoon, which is great if you have kids under 10 and pretty good if you have kids older than that.

Suttons Beach is the main beach in Redcliffe and it's perfectly fine for swimming. Plus the BBQ areas are great and free. It can get very crowded on holidays (which tells you that it's more than adequate.)

Bribie island also has a great beach at Woorim.

If you want picture postcard take the boat to Moreton Island (only 90 minutes from Brisbane) you can swim with dolphins, see whales, turtles, dugongs etc. and if you take a 4x4 with you it's very possible to find a beach without another person within a mile of you.

Nick

Guest gemfromoz

Hi Nick,

Funnily enough, in 2007 I was a passenger on the barge over to moreton (from scarborough - which has now shut down I believe). We walked off the boat, took a left for about a mile, and didnt see anyone all day until we walked back to the boat. Absolute bliss!! (and it was summer)

Cheers,

Gem

Guest The Joker

The water should be fine now. The first half of the year, due to the storms and flooding, meant that the quality of water in the bay - particularly around Redcliffe - was extremely poor as sewage treatment plants and industrial sites got flooded and washed all manner of nasties into the Brisbane River. Having worked for Brisbane Water (that is now Queensland Urban Utilities) and seen first hand the way sewage is managed (or not) I would still caution against swimming in the bay close to the Brisbane River and its creeks for about a week after any prolonged periods of rain as the sewage system just diverts straight into the river when it rains heavily and the tides take this straight past Redcliffe. Right now though it should be good - albeit a bit cold at this time of the year.