Prospective Marriage Visa

Linday

Does anyone know how long this visa is taking to process if applying offshore in the UK? We have heard varying reports of from one month to eight months.

Both could be right depending on the time of year you apply ie July is the new financial year, before then everything slows right down. Usually picks up again after for half the year. How complicated your case is, medical, criminal issues etc can hold things up as can not providing all the information needed for them to make a decision from the start.

Guest GeorgeD
Does anyone know how long this visa is taking to process if applying offshore in the UK? We have heard varying reports of from one month to eight months.

Remember that the PMV can only be applied for offshore, so it's not as if you have the option of an onshore route. You can contact Australia House in London and they will advise you of current processing times.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mosvar

I filed mine the same day 06-06-2011. I was contacted and given a case officer on June 09, 2011.

Have not heard anything more as of yet. They said 2-3 weeks for contact when I dropped it off. Also 4-6 months wait time. This is from the United States. I dropped it off at the AU embassy personally.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sophw86

Hi Linday,

I have recently apllied for a PMV visa at the London office.Here is my timeline so far..

Application received 28.4.11

Payment taken 4.5.11

Allocated CO 9.05.11

Medicals and police check requested 09.05.11

Medicals and police checks sent 01.06.11

Advised that processing times were 5 months from the date my CO was allocated (so should be ready in October)

Applied for tourist visa - approved same day (cant wait any longer to see my fiance!)

Travelling to Oz in 2 weeks to wait out my PMV application there, although I have been advised that I will have to leave the country in order for my visa to actually be granted, I just hope it comes through by October at the latest so I can start looking for a job!

Anybody

Guest mosvar

Yes you do have to leave when the visa is approved and return. Like go to NZ or Bali depending on what side you're on either one might be easier. Then return. i guess the thing is they want you to enter the country under the proper visa you will be staying with. Eg tourist or PMV.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Linday,

I have recently apllied for a PMV visa at the London office.Here is my timeline so far..

Application received 28.4.11

Payment taken 4.5.11

Allocated CO 9.05.11

Medicals and police check requested 09.05.11

Medicals and police checks sent 01.06.11

Advised that processing times were 5 months from the date my CO was allocated (so should be ready in October)

Applied for tourist visa - approved same day (cant wait any longer to see my fiance!)

Travelling to Oz in 2 weeks to wait out my PMV application there, although I have been advised that I will have to leave the country in order for my visa to actually be granted, I just hope it comes through by October at the latest so I can start looking for a job!

Anybody

Hi, I was looking up some advice on the PMV and found your conversation and just wanted to ask a few questions because you sound so helpful ...Basically were looking to do this next year, Putting in application in Jan, wanted to get married in Nov but looks like from what ive read that the visa will take too long to come through for us to be prepared enough to marry in Nov! I read that your returning to aus on a tourist visa, how can you do that? how will you know when to leave when your visa is granted?

Il be lodging our forms at aus house, im hoping its gonna be quicker so my family and me can book tickets and come over. Dont know why I wanted to get married in Nov lol just nice weather I guess and my family could stay for christmas! I know where I want to get married so I guess I need to know how long there waiting list is.

Also do you just send all the forms and then wait for requests for extra info, medicals etc? Does the visa start from the day you get the grant email or the day you enter aus? Frantic scramble for a flight if its the day you get the email!

If you or anyone else can help me or just give any information on what you'v been through id be so greatful :) Its all a massive mission for advice lol

Thank you!!!!!!

Going to Australia on tourist visa is OK while you wait your visa outcome. You just need to let your Case Officer know that you are going so they dont grant your visa whilst you are there. If your visa is just about to be granted they'll reply telling you that so you dont go OR they will email you when you are onshore so you can leave and go home, to NZ or elsewhere so they can grant your visa.

IMO applying in Jan and planning your wedding for NOV sounds reasonable. They will take you planned date into account when processing. But the date can be changed so long as the marriage takes place within 9 months.

I'd send medicals & police checks with the application, the more info they have right from the start the easier it is for them to make a decision on it! Use the checklist and ensure you have everything they ask for and more.

Going to Australia on tourist visa is OK while you wait your visa outcome. You just need to let your Case Officer know that you are going so they dont grant your visa whilst you are there. If your visa is just about to be granted they'll reply telling you that so you dont go OR they will email you when you are onshore so you can leave and go home, to NZ or elsewhere so they can grant your visa.

IMO applying in Jan and planning your wedding for NOV sounds reasonable. They will take you planned date into account when processing. But the date can be changed so long as the marriage takes place within 9 months.

I'd send medicals & police checks with the application, the more info they have right from the start the easier it is for them to make a decision on it! Use the checklist and ensure you have everything they ask for and more.

Thank you so much for your reply! When you say the date can be changed, do you mean the date of the wedding? because Im a bit worried about when to book, its a popular time of year and we could loose money if we have to change the date.

Im here till Jan 18th so Ive just changed my flight to the 8th, maybe that few weeks extra will be helpful to get my medical booked and police check forms sent. My partner is coming over 1st Feb and were going round Europe so I dont wanna be on holiday when we need to be sending more info. Are you sure its ok to just send medicals and police check with the application? I hope so, obiously it will make it quicker!

Im on a tourist visa now and I did consider leaving aus to NZ in October and applying for the PMV and then coming back on a 3 month tourist visa and still going home Jan 8th to lodge PMV application. but it gets a bit compicated! lol.

Wat extra things did you provide or would you suggest I provide? Ive looked through the forms and it appears pretty straight forward, its not a complicated situation, by the time we get married and do the 2nd part of the visa we would of been together 2 half years with piles of evidence!...currently clogging up my bedroom lol.

Thank you for all your advice! :)

Guest GeorgeD
Thank you so much for your reply! When you say the date can be changed, do you mean the date of the wedding? because Im a bit worried about when to book, its a popular time of year and we could loose money if we have to change the date.

Im here till Jan 18th so Ive just changed my flight to the 8th, maybe that few weeks extra will be helpful to get my medical booked and police check forms sent. My partner is coming over 1st Feb and were going round Europe so I dont wanna be on holiday when we need to be sending more info. Are you sure its ok to just send medicals and police check with the application? I hope so, obiously it will make it quicker!

Im on a tourist visa now and I did consider leaving aus to NZ in October and applying for the PMV and then coming back on a 3 month tourist visa and still going home Jan 8th to lodge PMV application. but it gets a bit compicated! lol.

Wat extra things did you provide or would you suggest I provide? Ive looked through the forms and it appears pretty straight forward, its not a complicated situation, by the time we get married and do the 2nd part of the visa we would of been together 2 half years with piles of evidence!...currently clogging up my bedroom lol.

Thank you for all your advice! :)

In terms of the date change...DIAC don't really care when your wedding is specifically...as long as you get married and apply for a Spouse Visa within 9 months of visa grant (note, not the date you applied or the date you entered Oz.) If you have got married but not sent in your applcation for the Spouse Visa and are still in Australia when the 9 months runs out...you are in breach of your Visa conditions. It's 9 months to get married and apply for the Spouse Visa, not just get married. Feel free to prepare your application in advance and submit it the day you get your marriage certificate, as you don't need to have been married for any specific length of time to apply for a Spouse Visa, but make sure you have time to do the application at what will no doubt be a hectic time!

You don't actually need to prove an awful lot for the PMV...if you have a date booked (receipts for deposits/Celebrant are great, etc) and can prove that you have met each other at least once, then you pretty much have all the evidence you need! You are not claiming to have lived together and you are not claiming to have been in a relationship for any particular length of time. That is why the PMV is only valid for 9 months. It's purpose is purely to allow you to be with and marry your partner. After that, you need a different visa...

Once you are married you need to apply for the Spouse Visa still within that 9 month term...and you need to pay the fees for the Spouse Visa all over again. So it's not a cheap option, and it does take time. Applying onshore the lead times are around 10 months currently, and you will be issued a Bridging Visa which will allow you to live and work in Oz while the Spouse Visa application is processed. At that point you are likely to be granted a Temporary Spouse Visa (820) as you’ve been married a short period of time. A further two years down the line you’ll be assessed for the Permanent Spouse Visa (801) and need to fill in more forms and send more evidence, etc. This final part has no cost as you have already paid for it in your Spouse Visa application just after you got married.

Guest Jazz3

Hi Linday,

I have been advised that processing times for the PMV lodged in London is currently 5/6 months, which it also says on the DIAC website

• 3 weeks later...
In terms of the date change...DIAC don't really care when your wedding is specifically...as long as you get married and apply for a Spouse Visa within 9 months of visa grant (note, not the date you applied or the date you entered Oz.) If you have got married but not sent in your applcation for the Spouse Visa and are still in Australia when the 9 months runs out...you are in breach of your Visa conditions. It's 9 months to get married and apply for the Spouse Visa, not just get married. Feel free to prepare your application in advance and submit it the day you get your marriage certificate, as you don't need to have been married for any specific length of time to apply for a Spouse Visa, but make sure you have time to do the application at what will no doubt be a hectic time!

You don't actually need to prove an awful lot for the PMV...if you have a date booked (receipts for deposits/Celebrant are great, etc) and can prove that you have met each other at least once, then you pretty much have all the evidence you need! You are not claiming to have lived together and you are not claiming to have been in a relationship for any particular length of time. That is why the PMV is only valid for 9 months. It's purpose is purely to allow you to be with and marry your partner. After that, you need a different visa...

Once you are married you need to apply for the Spouse Visa still within that 9 month term...and you need to pay the fees for the Spouse Visa all over again. So it's not a cheap option, and it does take time. Applying onshore the lead times are around 10 months currently, and you will be issued a Bridging Visa which will allow you to live and work in Oz while the Spouse Visa application is processed. At that point you are likely to be granted a Temporary Spouse Visa (820) as you’ve been married a short period of time. A further two years down the line you’ll be assessed for the Permanent Spouse Visa (801) and need to fill in more forms and send more evidence, etc. This final part has no cost as you have already paid for it in your Spouse Visa application just after you got married.

Thank you!!!!! U sent this ages ago but I've only just seen it!!!!! So as the message above yours says I CAN go to aus on a 3 month tourist visa after Ive sent all my stull soooo ....I send it in jan ....send medicals police checks and all that jazz ...then around April il travel back on a tourist visa and tell my case officer and then they can contact me when I need to leave the counrty? This all sound good?

Do you have a link to the list of doctors that you have to get your medicals from??? Ive got the site but seriously can't find the list! Driving me mad. I wanna book medicals for when I get home! :)

Do you think its fair to book a date for the last week in oct or first week in Nov for the wedding if I send the application in Jan 2011?

Thanks so much! This website has saved my ass :biggrin:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest GeorgeD
am i reading this right? your visa only took 4 months?

You are probably looking at one of the earlier posts...this thread is mostly from 2011. Spouse/PMV offshore processing times were significantly faster back then. DIAC policy changed and expected processing times have increased since then.

The only other post on this thread from 2013 was by someone who waited 8 months for a PMV. This is more like the current timescale.

I'm going to lock this thread as it is old. There is more recent accurate information elsewhere and this may confuse people looking for current info.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Edited by GeorgeD
Spelling